Wiki Posts
Search

The "I Voted Icon"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The "I Voted Icon"

While I understand the rationale for the "I voted icon" as an encouragement to participate in the "democratic" process of electing members of the TalkBoard, I am very uncomfortable with the idea that participation or non participation in this election is a matter of public scrutinity on this board.

While I do not know the mechanics of the democratic process in the USA, I do know that in Canada the fact that I voted or not voted in an Canadian election is not a matter for public scrutiny. It is indeed a secret ballot!

For this very reason, I regret that I cannot vote in this election. I consider the fact that I voted or not voted part of the great privilege of participating in a democratic process.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Seconded. I would not have voted if I had known that
the icon was going to be put up by my name.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:44 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually this has nothing to do with the democratic system, nothing to do with the U.S. There was keen interest from members of the TalkBoard and many others as to how we might "Get Out The Vote." This is not new and you might remember the I Voted icon has been used in the past. I just did a search on I Voted in the thread title and cannot find a single reference that any member in the past ever complained about the I Voted icon.

In my mind, and it's only a personal POV the use of the I Voted icon seems to be in the greater good of the FlyerTalk community. In fact, we did not use the icon last year (technical challenges) and I received many concerns from the TalkBoard and other members as to why not. It should be interesting to note that already this year using the I Voted icon, we have had more votes cast than all of last year and we're just getting started. So there is ample proof they do work.

Further to my personal POV, the use of the I Voted icon does not in any way reflect on the absolute sanctity of all elections and that is ... who you voted for. That is the key to me and we remain committed to that remaining so.

If you or any other member has a problem because of the I Voted icon, you can contact me. While not entirely sure, I don't have a problem checking to see if you can vote and i can manually remove the I Voted icon. I and all the volunteers are here to try and assist our members, we just need to know how we can help.

So again, it's really not a democratic or U.S. thing, it's really about how best we can get out the vote and that is for the greater good of all our members since a higher turnout for voters represents the broader base of all our membership.

I'm issuing a personal apology to you and violist for this. There certainly was no intent to harm you in any manner and as noted, there has never been any warning of any kind that this was viewed as anything but good for FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by airbus320
While I understand the rationale for the "I voted icon" as an encouragement to participate in the "democratic" process of electing members of the TalkBoard, I am very uncomfortable with the idea that participation or non participation in this election is a matter of public scrutinity on this board.

While I do not know the mechanics of the democratic process in the USA, I do know that in Canada the fact that I voted or not voted in an Canadian election is not a matter for public scrutiny. It is indeed a secret ballot!

For this very reason, I regret that I cannot vote in this election. I consider the fact that I voted or not voted part of the great privilege of participating in a democratic process.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Randy: Let us agree to disagree on the use of the "I voted" icon.

I have stated my case and now consider the matter closed.

Thanks for the prompt response.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I just did a search on I Voted in the thread title and cannot find a single reference that any member in the past ever complained about the I Voted icon.
Randy, your search skills need serious work.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=voted+icon

This is a multi-page (153 post) thread from a couple of years ago discussing this very topic. There was a push to boycott the vote because of this silly icon.

You contributed to the thread, too.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:08 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually, you need to get some reading glasses. Please reread my post, it is here "I just did a search on I Voted in the thread title and cannot find a single reference that any member in the past ever complained about the I Voted icon. " I did a search on "I Voted" in the thread title. Can you show me where "I Voted" is in the thread title? Now, I'l get back to watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Randy, your search skills need serious work.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=voted+icon

This is a multi-page (153 post) thread from a couple of years ago discussing this very topic. There was a push to boycott the vote because of this silly icon.

You contributed to the thread, too.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Actually, you need to get some reading glasses. Please reread my post, it is here "I just did a search on I Voted in the thread title and cannot find a single reference that any member in the past ever complained about the I Voted icon. " I did a search on "I Voted" in the thread title. Can you show me where "I Voted" is in the thread title? Now, I'l get back to watching Saturday morning cartoons.
LOL, ok Randy.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Randy: Let us agree to disagree on the use of the "I voted" icon.

I have stated my case and now consider the matter closed.

Thanks for the prompt response.
I too did not find the linked former discussion.
I completely forgot this previous discussion in which I participated and voiced the fact that I was not comfortable with the icon.

I am reopening the matter as it was unresolved.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:21 am

I too did not find the linked former discussion.
I completely forgot this previous discussion in which I participated and voiced the fact that I was not comfortable with the icon.

Maybe I should host some FlyerTalk search seminars. Randy could pay me to come out and teach everyone how to use the search function.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Canadians are know for the art of compromise......

I recognise the fact that the icon is an advertisement to encourage voting in the TalkBoard election. I also recognize that some of us are uncomfortable with publication of even the fact that we participated in an election and view the "I voted" icon as an infringement on the secret ballot process

How about this suggestion?

Next year, advertise the fact that you vote in the election triggers the icon.

And asking the mods to erase the icon after my vote is not option for me.

I consider the fact that I voted or not voted as sacred.

And one could consider this thread as positive publicity for the election.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB

This is just a talkboard election isn't it? Let us get on with more important things, if someone on this site can't figure a way around this issue than they are participating in the wrong community.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikey110890
This is just a talkboard election isn't it? Let us get on with more important things, if someone on this site can't figure a way around this issue than they are participating in the wrong community.

This is the second time that this issue has been discussed.

There is a problem and it is still unresolved.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Perhaps voters should be given the option of having the I Voted icon displayed beside their name ...
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Perhaps voters should be given the option of having the I Voted icon displayed beside their name ...
I believe that the last time the icons were used there was such an option -- but apparently the new software does not allow it.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
This is the second time that this issue has been discussed.

There is a problem and it is still unresolved.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the problem has been resolved per Randy's post above. He made a unilateral decision without seeking FT member input. Some don't like his decision. He offered a possible solution to you that may or may not satisfy you. Seems that's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.