Wiki Posts
Search

My profile cannot be viewed by anyone.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

My profile cannot be viewed by anyone.

Don't click on it until you read this:

When you click to view my profile here on the flyertalk forums, you'll not be taken to Kev-'s (me) profile, you'll be taken to Kev's (some other guy) profile. Notice that my username has a trailing dash.

I would assume the mod_rewrite on this server is eating the trailing dash somehow, but it could be a variety of other causes.

I figured this out by trying to find some of my own prior posts, and seeing a bunch of threads that aren't mine! Luckily I noticed the missing dash.

I suppose there are two fixes, one far easier than the other. The easier fix doesn't really fix the problem, just works around it, and that's to change my username.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same problem as in this thread of a few days ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...s-profile.html
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to search for regarding this problem.

My impression now is that this problem should be easy to fix for the IT guys behind the scenes, if they wanted to fix it.

Hopefully the word can be passed upward that this problem should be easy to fix. Easy is relative, of course. By easy I mean it would take the right person less than half a day to resolve it completely, without requiring anyone to change their usernames. If the problem spans multiple sites, then it seems like this should be a priority.

At the very least, it would be super easy to TELL PEOPLE when they are signing up that they should not use punctuation in their username (if that can't easily be disabled, but I think it can in the configuration for this type of forum software) if they ever want people to be able to send them a private message.

It would also be quite easy to notify all users who have affected usernames. I bet some of them have been around for a long time and have no idea about the problem.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Kev-
My impression now is that this problem should be easy to fix for the IT guys behind the scenes, if they wanted to fix it.
Even though I am not personally affected, this has been my sentiment since 2009, when IB started using a new index/search system.

This problem is not new and has been sitting there "untouched" for more than 30 months, which should be "lightyear" in any IT world.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:02 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
From what I have heard from tech, this is not an easy fix by any stretch. It goes to the back-end code of VBulletin, not the the FT site specifically.

But I'll see what we can do for a workaround.

Last edited by IBobi; Nov 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Well, my name is now fixed. Thanks, SanDiego1K.

Originally Posted by IBobi
From what I have heard from tech, this is not an easy fix by any stretch. It goes to the back-end code of VBulletin, not the the FT site specifically.

But I'll see what we can do for a workaround.
Well, as I said, easy is very loosely defined. "The right person" I was talking about would need to be a php wizard. I guess I'm spoiled by having formerly worked 20 feet away from a room full of expert developers who were constantly available to fix any problems in the company's applications. Heheh.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Kev-
When you click to view my profile here on the flyertalk forums, you'll not be taken to Kev-'s (me) profile, you'll be taken to Kev's (some other guy) profile. Notice that my username has a trailing dash.
Originally Posted by B748i
Well, my name is now fixed. Thanks, SanDiego1K.
Between "TC" and "~tc~", same problem is shared. I have no knowledge if either one of them had requested change of user name though.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:48 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Sorry to bump this 2+ year old thread, but a similar issue is occurring with the username :D! (author of THIS POST). One cannot access their profile, as trying to do so sends you to the profile of username "ИДDΞЯ". Note that username :D! is quite possibly not aware of the problem or aware that I have posted in this thread, but I'm just bringing it to your attention as a similar situation to what has been posted previously in the thread.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:53 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by lo2e
Sorry to bump this 2+ year old thread, but a similar issue is occurring with the username ! (author of THIS POST). One cannot access their profile, as trying to do so sends you to the profile of username "ИДDΞЯ". Note that username ! is quite possibly not aware of the problem or aware that I have posted in this thread, but I'm just bringing it to your attention as a similar situation to what has been posted previously in the thread.
Thank you. I'll let him know. As he's been happily posting for 2 years he may just want to keep on truckin' rather than change his entire username.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Thanks. I became aware of this problem a while ago when I was trying to look up my own posts, but as I don't intend to write anything in my FT profile, I'm quite happy leaving things as they are. I haven't had any other problems with the site.

You can still look up my posts by doing a search, there is just no one-click option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.