Search

Attach a file (Excel) to a post?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, BMI
Attach a file (Excel) to a post?

Hi all,

Is it possible to upload an Excel spreadsheet to a post on this forum? I have a pretty simple BA miles sheet that shows how many miles you need to fly to each location in one table. It also shows the TP and the approximate miles you will earn by flying on a paid flight in the various classes.

I thought it might be of some use to a few folk, but can't seem to find a way to upload the file?

Thanks
Andrew
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:37 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

If it doesn't use any Excel-specific features, you can upload it to Google docs. From there you can share it in multiple ways, all from functionality within Google Docs:
  1. Create a an HTML snapshot to give folks a quick look way of deciding whether it looks like something useful to them;
  2. Create download links for multiple formats (Excel, Open Office, etc.); or
  3. Allow direct access to the spreadsheet within Google Docs.
#3 is problematic because Google Spreadsheets does not have a locked cells feature, so you have to jump through some hoops to separate data input from calculations. #1 and #2 are very handy, however. Check out this example of a spreadsheet viewed as an HTML page. Note that you can have Google docs refresh the HTML snapshot (on command or on an automatic five minute cycle) if changes are made to the spreadsheet.

It has been in the news that Microsoft's cloud version of Office recently came on line, but all I know about it is that there have been headlines in online news sources.

This info could also be of interest if it is still true:
Originally Posted by scoow
if you have a great spreadsheet you would like to share, Gargoyle hosts a number of mileage & hotel tracking spreadsheets (link is also in Gargoyle's signature).
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, BMI
Hey, thanks!

That's a really useful link! Most of the spreadsheets there make mine look a little silly, but it's given me a few ideas to update my table.

Cheers
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Gold), Marriott (Platinum), IHG (Gold), Hyatt (Gold), Avis First
Originally Posted by ftnoob
If it doesn't use any Excel-specific features, you can upload it to Google docs. From there you can share it in multiple ways, all from functionality within Google Docs:
  1. Create a an HTML snapshot to give folks a quick look way of deciding whether it looks like something useful to them;
  2. Create download links for multiple formats (Excel, Open Office, etc.); or
  3. Allow direct access to the spreadsheet within Google Docs.
#3 is problematic because Google Spreadsheets does not have a locked cells feature, so you have to jump through some hoops to separate data input from calculations. #1 and #2 are very handy, however. Check out this example of a spreadsheet viewed as an HTML page. Note that you can have Google docs refresh the HTML snapshot (on command or on an automatic five minute cycle) if changes are made to the spreadsheet.

It has been in the news that Microsoft's cloud version of Office recently came on line, but all I know about it is that there have been headlines in online news sources.

This info could also be of interest if it is still true:
+1 on Google Docs. I was just going to suggest the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.