Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Links opening in the same window/tab

Links opening in the same window/tab

Reply

Old Jan 24, 11, 3:04 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,943
Links opening in the same window/tab

How do I post a link in a thread that will open up in the same tab instead of a new tab? I'm creating an FAQ thread for an airline, and I'm linking different posts within the thread to the OP, and I want those links to open up in the same tab (considering they're simply scrolling down in the thread).
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 11, 12:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 959
You can't. the URL parser doesn't allow you to add the required modifiers.
IB-Dick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 11, 1:11 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by IB-Dick View Post
You can't. the URL parser doesn't allow you to add the required modifiers.
See this thread (as an example...I do believe there are others): FAQ for Continental, OnePass and Life's Greater Mysteries. Click on links in the first post, and see that they do open in the same tab..
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:40 pm
  #4  
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Posts: 2,498
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
See this thread (as an example...I do believe there are others): FAQ for Continental, OnePass and Life's Greater Mysteries. Click on links in the first post, and see that they do open in the same tab..
Because the links in that first post take you to what's called an anchor in the same thread you're in. So rather than open up a new page/tab, they just shift you down the thread to the correct post. So if you're linking to a post within the same thread, no new page/tab, but if you're going to a different thread or a non-FT website, then new page/tab.
lo2e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:03 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Because the links in that first post take you to what's called an anchor in the same thread you're in. So rather than open up a new page/tab, they just shift you down the thread to the correct post. So if you're linking to a post within the same thread, no new page/tab, but if you're going to a different thread or a non-FT website, then new page/tab.
That's not entirely true. I know that's not the case because I figured out how to do it, in quite a simple way actually. I "quoted" the OP of the CO FAQ thread. Originally, in the thread I'm making, even though the links were in the same thread, they opened up in a new page as they linked using the regular url parse. However, the way links are written in the CO FAQ thread is different: it writes is as [post=*insert post # here, such as 1234567*]the text you want displayed[/post]
joshwex90 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread