Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Dangers of posting complete articles

Old Dec 7, 10, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM)

FT rules forbid the posting of complete copyrighted articles, requiring members to post only a title and introductory paragraphs with a link to the rest. At the same time, anyone can see that members (usually new, but that doesn't matter) often post complete articles anyhow. In this context, I recently came across the following two articles on Wired.com:

Righthaven Expands Troll Operation With Newspaper Giant
The $105 Fix That Could Protect You From Copyright-Troll Lawsuits

Given this:

1. Is IB, or is anyone else at FT, aware of the significant penalties that can be assessed if this rule is violated, and that there is a company whose business is discovering sites that violate it?

2. If so, has FT taken advantage of the $105 fix in the second article?

(This may not exactly be a technical issue, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask. Would have picked ORP if this was still his show, but it ain't.)
Old Jan 1, 11, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere, but dont recall if there was any response from admin.
Old Jan 1, 11, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm surprised no one from Internet Brands has responded to Efrem in over 3 weeks. As a frequent poster of news articles, I hope I can continue to post them.
Old Jan 2, 11, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

linking is not an issue, and while i dont remember whether IB commented, im pretty sure this was discussed in another thread.
Old Jan 5, 11, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM)
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
I'm surprised no one from Internet Brands has responded to Efrem in over 3 weeks. As a frequent poster of news articles, I hope I can continue to post them.
Tom,

As well as I can recall as a regular reader of your posts, you don't post complete articles. You post brief excerpts and a link to the rest. That's fine, and that isn't what the lawsuits are about. No worries!

(I'm surprised at the silence from that side, too.)