Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Tech problems after IB's Facebook Connect implementation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Tech problems after IB's Facebook Connect implementation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:40 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Yes I noticed this - not everyone is on a nice fast connection... And alot of FTers are by their nature moving around, posting from congested public wifi etc.
But, from your response in the Facebook Connect FAQ thread...
Originally Posted by jimbo99
THANKS! This gets rid of the whole thing.
I thought you weren't having any problems.

Is one of my suggestions not working for you anymore?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Re: Spurious history
It is not at all uncommon for websites to make javascript calls to other websites. For instance, when our ads load they make multiple calls to other sites. However, we are planning on adding an opt-out button for registered members who want to suppress the FB integration....
here's one of the links that i'm getting for my "spurious history" (which just stated appearing today):

http://mc8tdi0ripmbpds25eboaupdulrit...ken=1934965686 (copy and paste the link into a text editor or word to see it in its entirety and it looks like it's f/b-f/t related as i see ""friendconnect" in it)

and this is what i get if i access that page:

We're sorry...

We were unable to handle your request. Please try again or return a bit later.
personal laptop at home using my own network with my firewall enabled and no issues prior to this morning
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by LRD
But, from your response in the Facebook Connect FAQ thread...
I thought you weren't having any problems.

Is one of my suggestions not working for you anymore?
No working fine! Apologies if not clear. Originally using ....... myself I got rid of the button only. The line on which it appeared narrowed slightly but was still there. Your first suggesting got "rid of the whole thing", ie that facebook line. Your second suggestion got rid of all the flyertalk branding stuff at the top of the page - just as you said.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"spurious" history fixed? nice ^
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"spurious" history fixed? nice ^
yup, appears to be fixed ^
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:54 am

Re: Work filters
We have a potential workaround that we are going to roll out in the morning.
Did this workaround get rolled out? If so, I'm afraid it hasn't worked.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
+1.

It took me close to 20 minutes to load this thread, see that there was no update, click to respond, and to post this response.

And for now I'm naively looking past the good point made above that my firm's IT logs probably show that I'm trying to access Facebook repeatedly when I'm opening these pages.

Please offer an option to disable the Facebook call.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Tulane41
And for now I'm naively looking past the good point made above that my firm's IT logs probably show that I'm trying to access Facebook repeatedly when I'm opening these pages.

Please offer an option to disable the Facebook call.
Actually, that's a fair point. Initially my opposition was on the grounds that this slowed my browsing experience down. The consequence that everytime I move to another page on FT was logging an attempted access to Facebook had passed me by. And it's not a consequence I'm particularly pleased about.

Oh well, no more FT from the office until this mess is fixed.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Unfortunately, our work around didn't jive with FB. We'll have the ability to disable the FB script here at some point.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Unfortunately, our work around didn't jive with FB. We'll have the ability to disable the FB script here at some point.
What kind of "user enhancement" is this that you have to run what you do here by facebook?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I'm sure that some money changed hands.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by cj001f
What kind of "user enhancement" is this that you have to run what you do here by facebook?
Every site that uses Facebook connect loads a javascript from Facebook's servers. This javascript is created dynamically by Facebook, and is not a static file.

Since people are having a problem with corporate firewalls, we created a Flyertalk cname for the sub-domain that the script loads from. Unfortunately, when Facebook's servers build that dynamic script, they look at the requested URI, and if they don't recognize it, the script errors out.

We don't run anything by Facebook. When I tried calling Mark Zuckerberg it went straight to voicemail.

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I'm sure that some money changed hands.
This is 100% false.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just wanted to add weight to the "ever since fb it is taking ages to load" discussion.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Just wanted to add weight to the "ever since fb it is taking ages to load" discussion.
Did you disable the Facebook Connect feature at the bottom of your "Edit Options" screen?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jackal
Did you disable the Facebook Connect feature at the bottom of your "Edit Options" screen?
I didn't because it says "Hide it from the forum bar" (or summat similar) not "Click here to disable it". I have now clicked it. Ta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.