Wiki Posts
Search

Determining Fare Class on TAP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Since you quoted my example I will respond.

The GDS has 2 fields, one for fare basis and one for fare class.

In the UA example, the fare basis is XXXXXXX-BN, but the fare class is N. In TP example, the fare basis is XXXDSCXXXX, and the fare class is the first letter of the fare basis, but TP changes the fare class before reporting the earning to partner programs and refuse to provide any information to the customer besides how many miles to expect if crediting to TAP Victoria.
So in my case, Aegean does not care if that W or L fare is derived from Discount/Basic/Classic or Plus Class, to them is W is 50% mileage thats all you'll get. This is not fair for TAP to be doing this. In this scenario I'd rather book W discount and put up with their fare rules and shenanigans about luggage and seat selection.

Economy Y, B, M, H, Q 100%
Economy Discounted W, S, K, U, G, P, L, A, V 50%

WCADSI0A Discount
WCABSI0A Basic
WCACLI0A Classic
WCAPUI0A Plus
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So in my case, Aegean does not care if that W or L fare is derived from Discount/Basic/Classic or Plus Class, to them is W is 50% mileage thats all you'll get.
Please report back when you take the flight.

I suspect, instead, that if you take a W-Discount you may get 0% (via a translation to a non-earning fare class I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F), for W-Basic or W-Classic you might still get the 50% [given that this is the only "central" earning rate in Aegean close to the original 40%/70% that these families are intended to earn in TAP; rounding W-Basic down to 0% would seem harsh], while for W-Plus you may get 100% (via a translation to a 100% earning class Y, B, M, H, Q)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Please report back when you take the flight.

I suspect, instead, that if you take a W-Discount you may get 0% (via a translation to a non-earning fare class I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F), for W-Basic or W-Classic you might still get the 50% [given that this is the only "central" earning rate in Aegean close to the original 40%/70% that these families are intended to earn in TAP; rounding W-Basic down to 0% would seem harsh], while for W-Plus you may get 100% (via a translation to a 100% earning class Y, B, M, H, Q)
I will I am aiming for basic or classic. Now you all must be wondering why I am selecting TAp, simple reason. Their J fare one way from CPS to YYZ is only $800CAD. And they are the only ones who provide low one way fares from YYZ to Europe and vice versa.

We have already booked one way from CPH to YYZ which will give us 200%. Now just waiting to book one way to Europe.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their J fare one way from CPS to YYZ is only $800CAD. And they are the only ones who provide low one way fares from YYZ to Europe and vice versa.
If it's J, then you're in business class, and you get J miles (a full 200% on Aegean).

Trust me - every TAP ticket I've flown has been business class [all in J class] from Europe to North America, return - and only a few bucks more than the $800CAD you've quoted
Attached Images  
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Hi friends, I am in the same boat, considering buying a ticket in the "classic" fare in order to get 100% Aegean miles, but can't tell for sure if they will issue or map it to S or M, Q or H.

Here's some info that might help (or confuse even further), the earning table for Gol's mileage program:

TAP Executive C, D, Z, J - 100%
TAP Plus Y, B - 90%
TAP Classic M, H, Q, S - 70%
TAP Basic W, V, L, A, K, U, G - 33%
No miles E, T, O, X, I, R, N, F
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murilix
Hi friends, I am in the same boat, considering buying a ticket in the "classic" fare in order to get 100% Aegean miles, but can't tell for sure if they will issue or map it to S or M, Q or H.

Here's some info that might help (or confuse even further), the earning table for Gol's mileage program:

TAP Executive C, D, Z, J - 100%
TAP Plus Y, B - 90%
TAP Classic M, H, Q, S - 70%
TAP Basic W, V, L, A, K, U, G - 33%
No miles E, T, O, X, I, R, N, F

TAP asked me to call in to book and request the booking class I want. I asked if I have to pay for calling in to book and was told yes!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
TAP asked me to call in to book and request the booking class I want. I asked if I have to pay for calling in to book and was told yes!
Maybe I should try an English speaking attendant. After a 30-minute wait, I couldn't find neither the booking class or how much is the fee for booking at TAP's ticketing agency...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:20 pm
nhy

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Has anyone encountered the inverse question, so to speak - if I book a UA economy award for TAP BOS-LIS, for instance, it books as X class. Does TAP treat it as discount, classic, plus or what? Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discount/Basic/Classic/Plus are only available on tickets bought for cash in Economy Class.

If you are asking what baggage allowance, etc, would apply on your United Mileage Plus booking, then you should consult United Mileage Plus customer service.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:48 am
GRM

As a data point I recently flew LHR-LIS-LHR. Bought tickets on TAP website in Classic and credited the miles to UA.

Outbound ended up in T and earned nothing, return booked as V and earned 100% miles.

LONDON HEATHROW TP 363 T 20AUG 1120 TH2CLC0B 1PC OK
TERMINAL:2
LISBON AIRPORT ARRIVAL TIME: 1355 ARRIVAL DATE: 20AUG
TERMINAL:1 LATEST CHECK-IN:0950

LISBON AIRPORT TP 366 V 03SEP 1005 VL2CLC0B 1PC OK
TERMINAL:1
LONDON HEATHROW ARRIVAL TIME: 1245 ARRIVAL DATE: 03SEP
TERMINAL:2 LATEST CHECK-IN:0835

AT CHECK-IN, PLEASE SHOW A PICTURE IDENTIFICATION AND THE DOCUMENT YOU GAVE
FOR REFERENCE AT RESERVATION TIME

ENDORSEMENTS : FARE RESTR APPLYNON REF
PAYMENT : WB

FARE CALCULATION : LON TP LIS51.91TP LON94.96NUC146.87END ROE0.789732

AIR FARE : GBP 116.00
TAX : GBP 53.00YQ GBP 13.00GB GBP 24.70UB
GBP 4.40PT GBP 16.40YP GBP 5.00OB
TOTAL : GBP 232.50
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
As I suspected, Classic doesn't mean anything, it does depend on the fare class. If there were some behind the scenes talking, I doubt the classic fare would have booked into T.

Regardless, for my travels I found out I don't need as many miles as I thought, so I just booked the lowest TP fare. It's not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by oliver2002
In business:

TOP: TOPEXECUTIVE
EXE: EXECUTIVE
Am I correct in assuming that if letters four through six in the fare basis code are EXI, that means executive as well?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:46 am

The only chance to earn 100% of the miles flown is to book Plus,but even this isn't giving you any guarantee apart from not to earn Zip.

This is what is p... me off. If I'll buy the most expensive eco fare,I want to know the real booking class fare.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeser
The only chance to earn 100% of the miles flown is to book Plus,but even this isn't giving you any guarantee apart from not to earn Zip.

This is what is p... me off. If I'll buy the most expensive eco fare,I want to know the real booking class fare.
I'm just going with Basic and get 50% who cares at this point. Like I said, the only reason I am booking with them is the lowest one way from YYZ all others are double that fare.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:13 am

I'm just going with Basic and get 50% who cares at this point. Like I said, the only reason I am booking with them is the lowest one way from YYZ all others are double that fare.
Good point, but are you shure Basic will get you always 50% ?

I've booked classic the last time because it always got me 100% and ended up with 50%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.