Lisbon layover 1:50 - too short?

Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 684
Lisbon layover 1:50 - too short?

I have TAP award travel booked in business class from EWR - LIS - BCN. I just noticed our layover is only 1 hour, 50 minutes. We will not have checked bags and I realize no one can predict the covid situation in June 2022, but is that enough time to make our LIS - BCN leg?

Covid aside, will we have to clear customs and go through security again? What exactly is the process in LIS?

As to covid, where is the best place to keep up with covid requirements since we are navigating 2 countries with the layover? It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about merely transiting through Portugal. We are all fully vaccinated in the US.
Graciecatt is offline  
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:58 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 11,475
1h:50m is more than sufficient to transfer at LIS. Nothing to worry about. Your incoming flight needs to be heavily delayed (more than 60m) in order for you to miss the connecting flight. If you do, Tap will take care of it at LIS.

You have go through passport control and transfer security checks. This Q has been adressed multible times in various threads in this forum.

You will find plenty of info on the webpage of Tap regarding covid requirements. Information is also available here:

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP - Page 3 - FlyerTalk Forums
Graciecatt likes this.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:08 am
  #3  
pxm
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HNL
Posts: 124
Words of caution: The last time that I had a 1.5 hour connection at LIS, I missed it and TAP left me stranded at the airport. TAP claimed that they had no more hotel rooms and that I needed to make my own arrangements for a hotel and transportation thereto, and that they would reimburse me. Subsequently, I engaged in a close to two year battle with TAP in order to get reimbursed for my hotel and transportation expenses, and compensation. So, my advice is to avoid TAP if you can.
Graciecatt and estrela like this.
pxm is offline  
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:30 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by SK AAR
1h:50m is more than sufficient to transfer at LIS. Nothing to worry about. Your incoming flight needs to be heavily delayed (more than 60m) in order for you to miss the connecting flight. If you do, Tap will take care of it at LIS.

You have go through passport control and transfer security checks. This Q has been adressed multible times in various threads in this forum.
Originally Posted by pxm
Words of caution: The last time that I had a 1.5 hour connection at LIS, I missed it and TAP left me stranded at the airport. TAP claimed that they had no more hotel rooms and that I needed to make my own arrangements for a hotel and transportation thereto, and that they would reimburse me. Subsequently, I engaged in a close to two year battle with TAP in order to get reimbursed for my hotel and transportation expenses, and compensation. So, my advice is to avoid TAP if you can.
thank you both - LOL at the 2 completely different responses! Anyone else want to post to break the tie between "it'll be fine" and "you have no chance"?

We are already booked so there's no avoiding TAP. it's an award flight booked with ANA miles.
Graciecatt is offline  
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:20 pm
  #5  
tff
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LIS
Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
thank you both - LOL at the 2 completely different responses! Anyone else want to post to break the tie between "it'll be fine" and "you have no chance"?

We are already booked so there's no avoiding TAP. it's an award flight booked with ANA miles.
Unless there is a huge delay, not only will you be fine, but the likelihood is that you will be bored because the airport isn't that big.
Graciecatt likes this.
tff is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:58 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 11,475
I believe pxm refers to a one-time/extraordinary situation where incoming flight was (significantly) delayed. Normally/provided that incoming flight is more or less on time, 1h50m is more than plenty to transfer at LIS.
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Oct 29, 2021 at 8:54 am
SK AAR is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Posts: 6,194
1h50m is plenty of time. You will be fine if everything goes according to plan. Currently, you will need a PCR test - yes - even to transit Portugal, even if vaccinated in the US, and to follow Spain's QR code procedures etc. You will enter the Schengen zone in LIS and go through passport control - the Immigration Officer may request your COVID Test result. But since your travel is June 2022, who knows. You will need to keep up with regulations yourself.

Your booking on flytap.com will give you all the above information, and more.

Once past immigration, the TAP Lounge is upstairs, above the shops.

Enjoy!
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by seanp7; Oct 29, 2021 at 11:50 am
seanp7 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Madrid
Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Posts: 434
Hey. I flew via LIS with TP many times, but always within the Schengen zone. I will soon fly MAD-LIS-MIA (Schengen-LIS-noSchengen), i.e. in the other direction than the OP. Is there also a security control in LIS or just passport control? Thx

Last edited by Marcin83; Oct 30, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Marcin83 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:52 pm
  #9  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,028
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Hey. I flew via LIS with TP many times, but and always withing the Schengen zones. I will soon will fly MAD-LIS-MIA. In the other direction than the OP, (Schengen-LIS-noSchengen), is there also a security control in LIS or just passport control? Thx
Just a passport control point on the wing down to the non Schengen gates. There isn't a security check.
Marcin83 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Madrid
Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Posts: 434
Talking

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just a passport control point on the wing down to the non Schengen gates. There isn't a security check.
Thanks. Ive just realized how many errors and typos my original post had Im glad it was understood xD
Marcin83 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:51 pm
  #11  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Posts: 7,884
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Thanks. Ive just realized how many errors and typos my original post had Im glad it was understood xD
Just remember there will be extra security check at the gate. Pre-COVID even SSSS (Selected for Secondary Security Screening) handling was fast and relatively friendly..
Marcin83 likes this.
TPJ is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:34 am
  #12  
pxm
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HNL
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I believe pxm refers to a one-time/extraordinary situation where incoming flight was (significantly) delayed. Normally/provided that incoming flight is more or less on time, 1h50m is more than plenty to transfer at LIS.
Well, it is going to depend on whether the OP is an EU/EEA citizen. The OP is coming from a non Schengen flight and if s/he arrives during peak times, passport control can take a while. As an example, yesterday I flew into LIS (non Schengen) - arrived at around noon. I can tell you that for non EU/EEA citizens, the queue for passport control was at least one hour. There was, however, no queue for EU/EEA citizens - the process is automated as you just scan your passport and go through a gate. I believe that there is also a queue for security checks if you are connecting from a non Schengen flight at LIS.

Hence, to the OP, if there is a slight delay or long queues at passport control/security checks, 1h50m might or might not be enough time.
pxm is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:43 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by pxm
Well, it is going to depend on whether the OP is an EU/EEA citizen. The OP is coming from a non Schengen flight and if s/he arrives during peak times, passport control can take a while. As an example, yesterday I flew into LIS (non Schengen) - arrived at around noon. I can tell you that for non EU/EEA citizens, the queue for passport control was at least one hour. There was, however, no queue for EU/EEA citizens - the process is automated as you just scan your passport and go through a gate. I believe that there is also a queue for security checks if you are connecting from a non Schengen flight at LIS.

Hence, to the OP, if there is a slight delay or long queues at passport control/security checks, 1h50m might or might not be enough time.
I am the OP and we are US citizens. We are landing at LIS at 5:55 am LIS time but TAP has changed our connecting flight to leave at 11:20 am LIS time. So if all goes well with our original flight, we now have 5 hours and 25 minutes between flights.

Since we are entering Schengen for the first time at LIS, we have to clear immigration, go through passport control, and go through security, correct?

And all we'll need to board for Barcelona (as of today of course) is the Spanish Health Form and our US CDC vaccination cards showing we are fully vaccinated and boosted?
Graciecatt is offline  
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:49 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PEK
Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Posts: 8,882
Yes, you'll need to go through immigration and security before continuing onwards. With 5h25 between your flights, you can take a quick uber ride downtown or to Oriente and have a leisurely breakfast somewhere.
bruceba and Graciecatt like this.
Palal is online now  
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:16 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 11,475
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Since we are entering Schengen for the first time at LIS, we have to clear immigration, go through passport control, and go through security, correct?

And all we'll need to board for Barcelona (as of today of course) is the Spanish Health Form and our US CDC vaccination cards showing we are fully vaccinated and boosted?
Your assumptions are correct.

As for entering Spain, you need to fill out/apply online (webpage or app) in adance which will generate a QR code that you show upon arrival in Spain (it is right after enter the terminal from the aircraft or shuttle bus). You will not be asked to show proof of vaccination but it is part of the SpTH application that you upload proof of your vaccination pass/certificate. They may also ask you in LIS if you have SpTH QR code; if you don't have it is not a disaster as it takes 5min max to fill out and to get your QR code.
tmac100 and Graciecatt like this.
SK AAR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.