Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon layover 1:50 - too short?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Lisbon layover 1:50 - too short?

I have TAP award travel booked in business class from EWR - LIS - BCN. I just noticed our layover is only 1 hour, 50 minutes. We will not have checked bags and I realize no one can predict the covid situation in June 2022, but is that enough time to make our LIS - BCN leg?

Covid aside, will we have to clear customs and go through security again? What exactly is the process in LIS?

As to covid, where is the best place to keep up with covid requirements since we are navigating 2 countries with the layover? It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about merely transiting through Portugal. We are all fully vaccinated in the US.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
1h:50m is more than sufficient to transfer at LIS. Nothing to worry about. Your incoming flight needs to be heavily delayed (more than 60m) in order for you to miss the connecting flight. If you do, Tap will take care of it at LIS.

You have go through passport control and transfer security checks. This Q has been adressed multible times in various threads in this forum.

You will find plenty of info on the webpage of Tap regarding covid requirements. Information is also available here:

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP - Page 3 - FlyerTalk Forums
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:08 am
pxm

Words of caution: The last time that I had a 1.5 hour connection at LIS, I missed it and TAP left me stranded at the airport. TAP claimed that they had no more hotel rooms and that I needed to make my own arrangements for a hotel and transportation thereto, and that they would reimburse me. Subsequently, I engaged in a close to two year battle with TAP in order to get reimbursed for my hotel and transportation expenses, and compensation. So, my advice is to avoid TAP if you can.
Graciecatt and estrela like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
1h:50m is more than sufficient to transfer at LIS. Nothing to worry about. Your incoming flight needs to be heavily delayed (more than 60m) in order for you to miss the connecting flight. If you do, Tap will take care of it at LIS.

You have go through passport control and transfer security checks. This Q has been adressed multible times in various threads in this forum.
Originally Posted by pxm
Words of caution: The last time that I had a 1.5 hour connection at LIS, I missed it and TAP left me stranded at the airport. TAP claimed that they had no more hotel rooms and that I needed to make my own arrangements for a hotel and transportation thereto, and that they would reimburse me. Subsequently, I engaged in a close to two year battle with TAP in order to get reimbursed for my hotel and transportation expenses, and compensation. So, my advice is to avoid TAP if you can.
thank you both - LOL at the 2 completely different responses! Anyone else want to post to break the tie between "it'll be fine" and "you have no chance"?

We are already booked so there's no avoiding TAP. it's an award flight booked with ANA miles.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:20 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
thank you both - LOL at the 2 completely different responses! Anyone else want to post to break the tie between "it'll be fine" and "you have no chance"?

We are already booked so there's no avoiding TAP. it's an award flight booked with ANA miles.
Unless there is a huge delay, not only will you be fine, but the likelihood is that you will be bored because the airport isn't that big.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe pxm refers to a one-time/extraordinary situation where incoming flight was (significantly) delayed. Normally/provided that incoming flight is more or less on time, 1h50m is more than plenty to transfer at LIS.
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Oct 29, 2021 at 7:54 am
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
1h50m is plenty of time. You will be fine if everything goes according to plan. Currently, you will need a PCR test - yes - even to transit Portugal, even if vaccinated in the US, and to follow Spain's QR code procedures etc. You will enter the Schengen zone in LIS and go through passport control - the Immigration Officer may request your COVID Test result. But since your travel is June 2022, who knows. You will need to keep up with regulations yourself.

Your booking on flytap.com will give you all the above information, and more.

Once past immigration, the TAP Lounge is upstairs, above the shops.

Enjoy!
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by seanp7; Oct 29, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Hey. I flew via LIS with TP many times, but always within the Schengen zone. I will soon fly MAD-LIS-MIA (Schengen-LIS-noSchengen), i.e. in the other direction than the OP. Is there also a security control in LIS or just passport control? Thx

Last edited by Marcin83; Oct 30, 2021 at 3:30 pm
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Hey. I flew via LIS with TP many times, but and always withing the Schengen zones. I will soon will fly MAD-LIS-MIA. In the other direction than the OP, (Schengen-LIS-noSchengen), is there also a security control in LIS or just passport control? Thx
Just a passport control point on the wing down to the non Schengen gates. There isn't a security check.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just a passport control point on the wing down to the non Schengen gates. There isn't a security check.
Thanks. I´ve just realized how many errors and typos my original post had I´m glad it was understood xD
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Thanks. I´ve just realized how many errors and typos my original post had I´m glad it was understood xD
Just remember there will be extra security check at the gate. Pre-COVID even SSSS (Selected for Secondary Security Screening) handling was fast and relatively friendly..
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:34 pm
pxm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I believe pxm refers to a one-time/extraordinary situation where incoming flight was (significantly) delayed. Normally/provided that incoming flight is more or less on time, 1h50m is more than plenty to transfer at LIS.
Well, it is going to depend on whether the OP is an EU/EEA citizen. The OP is coming from a non Schengen flight and if s/he arrives during peak times, passport control can take a while. As an example, yesterday I flew into LIS (non Schengen) - arrived at around noon. I can tell you that for non EU/EEA citizens, the queue for passport control was at least one hour. There was, however, no queue for EU/EEA citizens - the process is automated as you just scan your passport and go through a gate. I believe that there is also a queue for security checks if you are connecting from a non Schengen flight at LIS.

Hence, to the OP, if there is a slight delay or long queues at passport control/security checks, 1h50m might or might not be enough time.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pxm
Well, it is going to depend on whether the OP is an EU/EEA citizen. The OP is coming from a non Schengen flight and if s/he arrives during peak times, passport control can take a while. As an example, yesterday I flew into LIS (non Schengen) - arrived at around noon. I can tell you that for non EU/EEA citizens, the queue for passport control was at least one hour. There was, however, no queue for EU/EEA citizens - the process is automated as you just scan your passport and go through a gate. I believe that there is also a queue for security checks if you are connecting from a non Schengen flight at LIS.

Hence, to the OP, if there is a slight delay or long queues at passport control/security checks, 1h50m might or might not be enough time.
I am the OP and we are US citizens. We are landing at LIS at 5:55 am LIS time but TAP has changed our connecting flight to leave at 11:20 am LIS time. So if all goes well with our original flight, we now have 5 hours and 25 minutes between flights.

Since we are entering Schengen for the first time at LIS, we have to clear immigration, go through passport control, and go through security, correct?

And all we'll need to board for Barcelona (as of today of course) is the Spanish Health Form and our US CDC vaccination cards showing we are fully vaccinated and boosted?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Yes, you'll need to go through immigration and security before continuing onwards. With 5h25 between your flights, you can take a quick uber ride downtown or to Oriente and have a leisurely breakfast somewhere.
bruceba and Graciecatt like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Since we are entering Schengen for the first time at LIS, we have to clear immigration, go through passport control, and go through security, correct?

And all we'll need to board for Barcelona (as of today of course) is the Spanish Health Form and our US CDC vaccination cards showing we are fully vaccinated and boosted?
Your assumptions are correct.

As for entering Spain, you need to fill out/apply online (webpage or app) in adance which will generate a QR code that you show upon arrival in Spain (it is right after enter the terminal from the aircraft or shuttle bus). You will not be asked to show proof of vaccination but it is part of the SpTH application that you upload proof of your vaccination pass/certificate. They may also ask you in LIS if you have SpTH QR code; if you don't have it is not a disaster as it takes 5min max to fill out and to get your QR code.
tmac100 and Graciecatt like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.