Wiki Posts
Search

TAP flights to São Tomé TMS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
I booked yesterday and paid 895 EUR for Y.
they are doing sales , tickets can be found as low as 400 euros from western/nothern europe with TAP
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

2 hours sounds like a lot when there's only one plane departing. But yeah, African airports aren't exactly well-known for their efficiency.
You'll get to the airport in no time at all from the city. The airport will be pretty much devoted to the turnround of the TP flight, so if you meet the check-in deadline you can be reasonably sure they'll get you on the plane.

Given that here is nothing to do at the airport, and very little to see, it would make sense to minimise your time there. Though one of the ritzier hotels (it's relative!) offered me an extension rate for late check-out, others are pretty relaxed about it when their occupancy isn't stressed by TP's schedules. But even if you can't keep your room till late, you can probably find something more interesting to do than twiddling your thumbs airside at TMS.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You'll get to the airport in no time at all from the city. The airport will be pretty much devoted to the turnround of the TP flight, so if you meet the check-in deadline you can be reasonably sure they'll get you on the plane.

Given that here is nothing to do at the airport, and very little to see, it would make sense to minimise your time there. Though one of the ritzier hotels (it's relative!) offered me an extension rate for late check-out, others are pretty relaxed about it when their occupancy isn't stressed by TP's schedules. But even if you can't keep your room till late, you can probably find something more interesting to do than twiddling your thumbs airside at TMS.
Thanks. I will be staying at the Pestana. I would have preferred the Miramar because it's a bit closer to the city centre, but apparently it's closed. I guess that is as ritzy as it gets, at least pricewise, but I'm expecting something that would barely meet four-star criteria in Europe. If they don't agree on a sensible late check out rate, I'll book one night at some cheap place in the center to store my bags, lie down a bit and take a shower before my flight.

What time do you usually get to the airport? I'm thinking of something like 90 minutes before.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
they are doing sales , tickets can be found as low as 400 euros from western/nothern europe with TAP
To preserve my mental health, I guess I won't check what prices they're offering right now. TP isn't flying to HEL, but I could easily have started my journey from ARN/CPH/BER/whatever...
fifty_two likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
[QUOTE=ffay005;34186911]Thanks. I will be staying at the Pestana.

iam going there in may , i thought about this hotel but i changed my mind when i saw what they advertise as a beach

I'll book one night at some cheap place in the center to store my bags, lie down a bit and take a shower before my flight.
Yes there are plenty in sao tome

What time do you usually get to the airport? I'm thinking of something like 90 minutes before.
i think also with 2h you will be good , but ask TP before to avoid troubles , in other airports in the region the checkin close 1h before take off
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks. I will be staying at the Pestana. I would have preferred the Miramar because it's a bit closer to the city centre, but apparently it's closed. I guess that is as ritzy as it gets, at least pricewise, but I'm expecting something that would barely meet four-star criteria in Europe. If they don't agree on a sensible late check out rate, I'll book one night at some cheap place in the center to store my bags, lie down a bit and take a shower before my flight.

It's a pity about the Pestana Miramar, it's sort of 3-star with pretensions to 4. But it's a relaxed place, well-located with a big pool - and it carries a price more comfortable than the other Pestana. I don't know if/when it will re-open.

The airport check-in limit is 60 minutes, so aiming to arrive at the 90 minute mark should work fine.

A second hotel shouldn't be necessary: I can't see the Pestana refusing to hold your bags while you relax by the pool, whatever.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I would be asking for some advice on my upcoming trip to TMS.

Departure from LIS is at 11:25 am. I am TK Elite, so *A Gold. How early should I plan on arriving at the airport, travelling HBO? Is there a priority security queue, and can I use it, flying Y but having *A Gold?

Arrival time from TMS to LIS is 6:05 am. Should I expect long lines at passport control / egates? I have a Finnish (EU) passport.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's a pity about the Pestana Miramar, it's sort of 3-star with pretensions to 4. But it's a relaxed place, well-located with a big pool - and it carries a price more comfortable than the other Pestana. I don't know if/when it will re-open.
The Miramar is now accepting bookings for July, so I am currently double-booked. Will check a few days before departure what the situation looks like and cancel the Pestana if the Miramar is indeed opening. Larger pool, better location, better price.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:25 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Departure from LIS is at 11:25 am. I am TK Elite, so *A Gold. How early should I plan on arriving at the airport, travelling HBO? Is there a priority security queue, and can I use it, flying Y but having *A Gold?
There is a priority security line indeed. It's called Green Way. If you want to enjoy the lounge (in the Schengen area) for a short period, arriving at 09h45 should be enough. If you want to go directly to the gate and you want to check a bag, 10h10 should be ok. If not, 10 mins later should be fine.

Arrival time from TMS to LIS is 6:05 am. Should I expect long lines at passport control / egates? I have a Finnish (EU) passport.
You should be fine using the egates.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Greetings from TMS. My flight was delayed by 1 h 50 min due to last minute technical problems. While there was virtually no info at all from TAP, I was able to conclude that there was a plane change, they took the incoming plane from BOS and sent it to TMS.

The arrival process was extremely easy and I was at the Miramar within 35 minutes from touchdown.

The A321LR was a good plane to fly. My upgrade bid of 300 EUR went through, and while the seat felt a bit tight, I would say it is more or less as comfortable as a similar seat on a wide-body plane. We were in the air for six hours and 10 minutes and were served a one tray meal after departure and a cold snack an hour before arrival.

113 pax in total, 9 of whom in J.

I test-sat a Y seat, I felt legroom was okay and the seat was definitely more comfortable than on the short haul Airbuses.

The Miramar is a sad hotel. If it was located in Spain, it would probably not even have three stars. But the staff is very friendly and I will get by.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Sao Tome island has no true five-star/luxury hotels. All of the Pestana properties are in need of serious renovations. Omali Lodge is probably the best option if you want to stay in the city, but I prefer staying in Santana with Yves’ properties via AirBnB or directly and renting a car. It’s only 20 minute drive to the city. I am used to driving at night there and have no issues.

Real five-star hotels are on the Principe Island with the appropriate price tag such as Praia Sundy or Roça Sundy. Bom Bom is sadly now closed for renovations and I suspect it will increase in price significantly once it reopens. Belo Monte, also on Principe, is classed as 4-star, but miles better than Pestana, and can be less than 300 euros a night half-board.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:04 am
Original Poster

I'm back in LIS now. The return flight was uneventful. Took a taxi at 20:40, with OLCI done and BP in hand. However, they wanted me to go to the counter and print an airport-issued BP. Nevertheless, at 20:53, I had been through security already. Quick passport control, no questions asked. No taxes to pay and no covid stuff.

(The separate room for J pax looked like a furniture workshop, with sewing machines and all armchairs crammed in a corner.)

Flight was full in J but less than half-full in Y. My 310 EUR upgrade bid went through.

Originally, Y was 895 EUR and J 2500 €. I upgraded both legs by auction at 300+310 EUR, so I ended up paying 1505 EUR for J. Not bad, although with the flights half-empty, I'm not really sure if it was worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.