Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

CDG -> SFO on TAP or Air Canada Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

I'm looking to book an award flight from CDG -> SFO and both TAP and Air Canada have availability right now.
TAP would be from CDG -> LIS and then LIS -> SFO on the new 339 plane.
AC would be from CDG -> YYZ on the 77W and then YYZ -> SFO on the 789.

Has anyone flown both before and can suggest which one would be a better flight?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m not sure where everyone is, but it may have to do with the forming of this new forum. (I’d likely go for the most convenient and direct schedule.)
irishguy28 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
TAP. AC is plainly bad...

I would try out the TAP Lounge in LIS rather than MLL @ YYZ.
godbreath and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I would choose TAP just to try the A339 if nothing else but also TAP service is often better than AC.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:32 am

TP doesn't fly to CDG?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
True, for Paris TAP flies to ORY.
godbreath likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
True, for Paris TAP flies to ORY.
ah that explains why i haven't been able to find availability again (first time i was searching for all of paris. subsequent times i was only searching for CDG)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
ORY>CDG any day of the week.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Beware, TP does not provide lounge access in Paris, even for Business class passengers. Food is mediocre and service very slow, flights are very often late about an hour.
AC is not the greatest but a better overall experience than TP
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I would choose TAP for the A339 and the possibility of a good experience and food.

AC promises an at best mediocre experience and poor food, it's unlikely even on a bad day that TAP will dip to AC standards.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:04 pm

Having flown LIS-SFO recently, I would say go with AC (as long as it is not a Rouge service). As others have pointed out, you get no lounge in Paris, the TP long haul cabin crew is apathetic and disinterested and the food is pretty miserable - if you are expecting J-class catering.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by puchong
Having flown LIS-SFO recently, I would say go with AC (as long as it is not a Rouge service). As others have pointed out, you get no lounge in Paris, the TP long haul cabin crew is apathetic and disinterested and the food is pretty miserable - if you are expecting J-class catering.
I think TP has yet to manage to get into SFO on time - though, to be fair, arrival times have become less erratic in the last week.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
The new TAP J seats on the A339 are very nice. Pay attention to seat choice depending on whether traveling solo or as a couple due to the staggered configuration. Half of the solo window seats are next to the window and the other half next to the aisle. The double seat pairs in the middle are either right next to each other with tables at the aisle, or far apart with tables in the middle.

I agree with the other posters that J food quality is below that of Lufthansa or Swiss, and service can be indifferent.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
TAP sometime has horrible connection time at LIS

I would go with non-stop service - eg AF or UA.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
TAP sometime has horrible connection time at LIS

I would go with non-stop service - eg AF or UA.
It's a star alliance award booking, so I have to go with UA for a direct route. Would love to fly UA if they ever release availability though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.