Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Air Portugal LGW-FNC-LGW in Y - Questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi everyone!
I am flying TAP in Y LGW-FNC-LGW over the second May bank holiday and managed to reserve seats 12D and 12F both ways. As per seatguru.com they offer more legroom... but perhaps you'd have better suggestions in regards to Y seating in the A320?
I'm UA Gold and my partner is BD Gold - what is the lounge at Gatwick like? Where is it? Is it the Servisair Ashdown?
In terms of catering... is there any food/drinks in Y on these almost 4-hour long flights?
Now the really silly question: any reports of paid upgrades or op-ups on this route? Does TAP upgrade at all? I know it's a short-ish hop but access to C is always great...
Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:25 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by LondonFlight
I am flying TAP in Y LGW-FNC-LGW over the second May bank holiday and managed to reserve seats 12D and 12F both ways. As per seatguru.com they offer more legroom... but perhaps you'd have better suggestions in regards to Y seating in the A320?
Assuming it's actually an A320, it's strange that you managed to have those seats reserved. This is because these are exit row seats, which TAP does not pre-assign until check-in at the airport (not even OLCI). But if that is the case, those are the best seats in terms of legroom indeed (36" seat pitch). Apart from that, any seat from row 5-12 (32" seat pitch) has better seat pitch than the ones behind it (30" seat pitch).

I suspect, however, that it's an A319, in which case row 12 isn't that good (30" seat pitch). You'd be better off with rows 4-10 (33" seat pitch, except row 9, which has "38 because it's the emergency row).

If you give more importance to having a free seat next to you, go for 04A/C in A319s and 05A/C in A320/21s because the B seat is always blocked.

In terms of catering... is there any food/drinks in Y on these almost 4-hour long flights?
Until very recently a full meal was served in this route in Y, according to TAP's policy of serving meals in flights over 3h. However, the fact that in this specific route the fares plummeted made the management change it to a snack: complimentary beverages, a warm sandwich and small item (usually either a fruit salad, a yoghurt or a cereal bar).

Now the really silly question: any reports of paid upgrades or op-ups on this route? Does TAP upgrade at all? I know it's a short-ish hop but access to C is always great...
No, TP only upgrades pax when it has to (op-ups). But you can buy an onboard upgrade (provided space and meals are available) by paying €250 (check it here). The greatest asset of TP's C class are the meals, which are fantastic (check a TR here).

Enjoy the island of Madeira! And Porto Santo as well if you go there.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply, tff! I hope the seats will be honoured - the agent over the phone explained that actually no seat assignment is possible on "cheap" fares but he was kind enough to try and the request went through. Fingers crossed. On flytap.com it still shows both flights operated by the A320 and hopefully there won't be any last minute changes.
As for food, I was hoping for a nice airline meal for a change but am not surprised with the "snack downgrade" as this seems to be the rule these days...
EUR250 for the onboard upgrade... for a 3h 45m flight... well, if I was "loaded" I probably would go for it but then I wouldn't have booked in Y in first place. Allowing onboard upgrades, however, seems rather clever!
I read the flight report and must say, it is great. And so are the pictures! Thank you for that!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thank you so much for your reply, tff! I hope the seats will be honoured - the agent over the phone explained that actually no seat assignment is possible on "cheap" fares but he was kind enough to try and the request went through. Fingers crossed.
Keep your fingers firmly crossed and use online check-in at the earliest opportunity! And you might try calling and checking the seat res is still there.

I find TP reservation agents have problems overriding the system to put in my seat request when I'm on the "basic" fare, even though my "status" is shining through .

Whether they say it's OK because they genuinely think it is, or simply to get rid of me - I have no idea. But if seat selection is important to you, it's worth the effort to check.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tff

If you give more importance to having a free seat next to you, go for 04A/C in A319s and 05A/C in A320/21s because the B seat is always blocked.
I haven't understood why the first row of economy is configured like his, though I am always pleased to benefit from it.

However, last week I was disappointed when the crew wound out the row just before we left the stand to create the B seat, allowing a last-minute passenger to be accommodated. In future I won't feel secure until we've taken off!

But the question is, if the seat CAN be used, why on earth does the airline give up the revenue opportunity of selling it?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:32 am
tff

I read the flight report and must say, it is great. And so are the pictures!
Thanks, LondonFlight!

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I find TP reservation agents have problems overriding the system to put in my seat request when I'm on the "basic" fare, even though my "status" is shining through.
That's probably because the tap|basic fare didn't allow for seat choice before. But now it does. However, the change in the reservation systems has created lots of difficulties for the call centre agents.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I haven't understood why the first row of economy is configured like his, though I am always pleased to benefit from it.
I have no idea... but I do remember reading it once somewhere. I'll recheck in the Portuguese aviation fora when I have some time!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
If a curtain is used to separate a cabin with variable flexible seating configurations, safety rules require the first row of Y to be in the same setup (width of seating/aisle) as the last row of C. I presume this is to prevent cabin crew pushing a trolley through the curtain (or a passenger pushing themselves through the curtain) straight into the hidden knees of the pax in the 4C/5C/xC..

Bmi used to do this, until they removed the curtain to pretend the cabin was all economy for tax purposes. The resulting first row of economy on the left hand side was subsequently very popular indeed as you got C comfort, if only Y service.

I'm sure other flexible config carriers are similar.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I always admire the wealth of knowledge that you guys have. And I mean it.
I have just checked my reservation on checkmytrip and yes, the seat between 5A and 5C is not even displayed, as if it doesn't exist. I remember when I first checked the booking that there was a gap between those 2 seats and now I understand why.
It would be excellent to have an empty middle seat but, in terms of legroom, should I risk the current 9D and 9F - which I understand I was lucky to have managed to "secure" - and try to move to 5A and 5C? I feel I rather leave it quiet for the time being... What if I am lucky and end up with no one in 9E? Or unlucky and have someone being moved to 5B? !!!!! Oh, well... 4-hour flight and 5 days by the pool in Madeira... that's what I should be worrying about!!! Thank you so much for your help.
By the way! What about the lounge at LGW, if any???
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:01 pm
tff

Thanks a lot for the explanation, ajamieson!

It would be excellent to have an empty middle seat but, in terms of legroom, should I risk the current 9D and 9F - which I understand I was lucky to have managed to "secure" - and try to move to 5A and 5C? I feel I rather leave it quiet for the time being... What if I am lucky and end up with no one in 9E? Or unlucky and have someone being moved to 5B? !!!!! Oh, well... 4-hour flight and 5 days by the pool in Madeira... that's what I should be worrying about!!! Thank you so much for your help.
LondonFlight, if you have 09D and 09F - instead of 12D and 12F as you mentioned in your initial post - you don't have any additional legroom...

By the way! What about the lounge at LGW, if any???
I can't help you with that one...
Old May 1, 2010, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Hi, ttf!
I've lost the plot - the seats I have are definitely 12D and 12F. No idea where I've got that row 9 from! Sorry!
Old May 1, 2010, 6:32 am
tff

No worries
Enjoy your flight and have fun in Madeira!
Old May 1, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Free Aerobus

I think all your all your questions were answered, except the lounge which I can't help as well.
Nonetheless I have a cost saving tip.

There is a free bus (if arriving on TP as you are) from the airport to Funchal (if you are staying there)
It's called the aerobus. you can find the schedule here.

All you have to do is hand over to the driver your TP boarding pass as "payment". Saves 5€/pp. Might be a bit risky if you're crediting to DC . Try to scan it or make a copy in LGW if possible.

Enjoy Madeira. It's an incredible place to relax; and eat, even by mainland standards (try black scabbardfish fillet). And world class surfing.

GBM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.