Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Adopted: Vote Complete - Recommend Creation of European Rail Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
gleff: I think the simple answer is because many European trains are the same, often combining single-country sectors within an international routeing.

Take Frankfurt-Milan, for example. This would combine intra-German, intra-Swiss and intra-Italian sectors as well as the end-to-end route. I used to take parts of the Paris-Istanbul train, which ran sectors inside France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, the former Yugoslavia and Greece IIRC. (I never managed the whole route, sadly.)
couldn't have said it better. that was exactly my idea when I asked for creation of such a forum.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gleff
Before I cast my ballot on the issue, I'd appreciate input on a question. Lots of folks saying 'I support' but here's what I haven't worked through -- why does it make sense to combine rail across Europe rather than leaving trains within the relevant country forums? Sure, there's Europe-wide rail but also national rail services. Why, for instance, are Italian train topics better in a Europe rail forum than in Italy?
Gleff,

Take a look at Railplus. Rail travel is more integrated than ever in Europe and over the coming years will become even more so. Or see the many posts on this subject in the other thread.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
You may not have noticed in all the posts above, but it IS about frequent travel programs. It's not just how to get from point A to point B. In fact, this "forum" would cover several frequent travel programs. You could have a separate forum for each program, but I gather that would make too much work for somebody.
Most of the questions I see in the various forums are about how to get from point A to point B, and not about frequent travel programs.

Doing a search of "Eurostar" in the thread title brings up 9 pages of threads. A lot of those would not belong in Eu rail forum but many would. Many are in TravelBuzz or MilesBuzz forums, which is not what posters above were suggesting. One is the Marriot Hotel forum

A Eu rail forum in T & D seems a good idea ^

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 8, 2009 at 3:52 pm Reason: link fixed
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Most of the questions I see in the various forums are about how to get from point A to point B, and not about frequent travel programs.
There have been lots of questions about Grand Voyageur and would be lots more discussion if we had a forum. Add to that Cybelys and Railplus. I recently had a question about SBB Halbtax which only one person responded to, even though I'm pretty sure that a bunch of Flyertalkers have these cards.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Before I cast my ballot on the issue, I'd appreciate input on a question. Lots of folks saying 'I support' but here's what I haven't worked through -- why does it make sense to combine rail across Europe rather than leaving trains within the relevant country forums? Sure, there's Europe-wide rail but also national rail services. Why, for instance, are Italian train topics better in a Europe rail forum than in Italy?
I'm not sure that it does make sense to combine all rail across Europe. I can see the point in international trips belonging in a European International forum, but the sense in putting S....hope to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch (yep - it's a real station name) anywhere other than the UK forum is lost on me.

[quote=bhatnasx]The purpose of the new forum is to discuss general European rail travel.[/b]

I'm noticing that these comments about 'European rail travel' are tending to come from non-European posters. To me as a European the concept of talking about European rail is all a bit crazy - the various railway systems interact to varying degrees but in the vast majority of cases have as much to do with each other as Amtrak has with Cuban Railways.

All up I can see the sense in a forum dedicated to International trips thus removing the issue of where exactly does a UK-Belgium trip go, but taking purely domestic trips out of their home forum makes no sense at all.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by phillipas
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.
Did you spellcheck? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfai...ailway_station which includes:

Llanfairpwll railway station is a station on the North Wales Coast Line from London Euston station to Holyhead on Anglesey. It serves the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. The station is known for its longer name ... but this is a Victorian composition primarily for the benefit of tourists. It comprises the full name of the village, plus local topographical details, plus the name of a neighbouring church etc.

and

... trains usually stop at the station only on request

I do not seriously believe that there would be huge demand for information on getting from Llanfair PG (the usual name) to an FT-censored destination in any FT forum, not that I'm calling your bluff, of course (and I think you missed out an 'r' in the censored destination.

To me as a European the concept of talking about European rail is all a bit crazy - the various railway systems interact to varying degrees but in the vast majority of cases have as much to do with each other as Amtrak has with Cuban Railways.
To me as a European, I recognise that you're exaggerating to make a point, but the comparison just doesn't hold up.

... taking purely domestic trips out of their home forum makes no sense at all.
It depends on the routes, I guess. I suspect many non-European posters are researching multi-country itineraries, in which case the European forum would be the place to post. However, Maidstone East to Canterbury West is probably of more local interest and could be just a UK issue.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:13 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Motion Adopted

The TalkBoard has adopted the motion to recommend the creation of a European Rail forum, under the Travel & Dining heading.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines, when motions containing recommendations for changes to FlyerTalk are passed the TalkBoard President shall communicate that recommendation to the FlyerTalk Host [Randy]. These recommendations, while just recommendations to the Host of FlyerTalk, serve as an important foundation for the structure and growth of FlyerTalk.

If you have any questions or comments about the recommendation or the TB process in general, feel free to post them!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
To encourage our laziness (hey, I'm a member of the voting public now too ) any chance of giving the voting breakdown on the comment thread as well?

(yes, the link is great, but I am that lazy )
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Excellent news! And even better that it was unanimous. Thanks guys.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Jenbel
To encourage our laziness (hey, I'm a member of the voting public now too ) any chance of giving the voting breakdown on the comment thread as well?

(yes, the link is great, but I am that lazy )
As Westley said to Buttercup, as you wish. :-*

Moved by bhatnasx and seconded by Cholula to recommend the creation of a European Rail forum, under the Travel & Dining heading.

This vote closed on Jan 07, 09 at 9:37 pm
Yes
berlinflyer, bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff 100.00%

No
0.0%

Abstain
0.0%

Voters: 9.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines, a motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I'm looking forward to see the European Rail forum grow with alot of useful information ! @:-)
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:31 am

I support the creation of a European rail travel forum. Thx
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent news. ^
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by harpodamann
I support the creation of a European rail travel forum. Thx
Missed it by that much...

Thanks for showing the breakdown of the voting. Nice work, 2009 TalkBoard!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Good to see things are on the right track, pun intended. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.