Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for the OMNI tribes to merge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Mister Peterson, Tear Down This Wall.

I am in favor of OMNI reunification and will vote accordingly if elected to TalkBoard.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I'm perfectly okay with the idea of a split. It's good to enjoy OMNI without the political and religious extremists hijacking the entire board.

That being said, it can sometimes feel like wandering into the lion's den when going into OMNI P/R. There's something about the 'feel' of the board which allows a much lower standard of decency and decorum in posts.

To be blunt about it, many posters in the OMNI P/R forum (or maybe just the most vocal/prominent ones) are just nastier than would be allowed in other forums. And I, for one, think that's rather sad.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ajax
To be blunt about it, many posters in the OMNI P/R forum (or maybe just the most vocal/prominent ones) are just nastier than would be allowed in other forums. And I, for one, think that's rather sad.
It's a symptom I like to call Web Rage which is the online equivalent of Road Rage.

It often occurs when booting up your computer, opening your favorite web browser and then logging into FlyerTalk. Suddenly your blood pressure starts rising, your eyes turn into slits, steam starts rising out of your ears and you start mumbling profanities under your breath as you uncontrollably click on OMNI/PR.

After an hour or so of venting in that forum, all mental and physical bodily functions return to normal and you head out into the regular travel forums of FlyerTalk as a model citizen.

We see this all the time. Nothing to be alarmed about IMO. Think of OMNI/PR as a pressure valve for the rest of Flyertalk.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I agree. Merge the forums.
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
And at the same time, close it to google and reinstitute post counts.
And restore a minimum post qualification for entry. OMNI shouldn't be the training-wheels of FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
I'm perfectly okay with the idea of a split. It's good to enjoy OMNI without the political and religious extremists hijacking the entire board.

That being said, it can sometimes feel like wandering into the lion's den when going into OMNI P/R. There's something about the 'feel' of the board which allows a much lower standard of decency and decorum in posts.

I have found just the opposite. The discussions in OMNI P/R are, almost always, either respectful or funny, whereas I've stopped following threads I've started in UA and AA because of the incredibly nasty responses I've gotten.

As for OMNI P/R being a lion's den, only if you have an opinion with nothing to back it up -- those people tend to get eaten alive. Those with facts and grounds supporting their opinions make for interesting discussion.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
I have found just the opposite. The discussions in OMNI P/R are, almost always, either respectful or funny, whereas I've stopped following threads I've started in UA and AA because of the incredibly nasty responses I've gotten.

As for OMNI P/R being a lion's den, only if you have an opinion with nothing to back it up -- those people tend to get eaten alive. Those with facts and grounds supporting their opinions make for interesting discussion.
+1
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Actually, without trying to make it an issue which can than be wrangled, why not look at a poll-in-passing which doesn't seem to be influenced by anyone trying to make a point - kind of things as a "still life" for FlyerTalk.

Click over here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881589

What you see is that without the effort to influence, roughly 54% of the population are OK or great with it. Considering that you would need to ratch up the policking to get to the 2/3 majority to come up with a stronger argument, why not really just let it lie because even in the most popular forum you can see that the issue is hardly top-of-mind for those who use the forum the most.
I'm confused by something, Randy. Since when are you for looking at the number of users who support a particular policy as an indication of what should be done? In this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=121) you explicitly reject the idea that 50 people can accurately reflect the will of the OMNI population when it comes to opening it up to Google. Yet here you seem willing to take a far smaller percentage of the population as an indication of what members prefer.

Why the discrepancy?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I spend more time in OMNI than before. Leave it split.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I spend more time in OMNI than before. Leave it split.
This is what makes the decision complicated: We really can't tell how many new people will drift into OMNI and stick around where in past years they might have been repelled by the political and religious threads. If you ask only the people who frequented OMNI when it was all together, your sample is incomplete and the answer may therefore be incorrect.

In the end, this is a judgment call, a guess of how things will eventually work out. No poll that can answer this question. Randy's judgment might be wrong, but usually it's right. We'll find out over time based on whether total OMNI traffic continues to grow consistently with the rest of FT.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cholula
Suddenly your blood pressure starts rising, your eyes turn into slits, steam starts rising out of your ears and you start mumbling profanities under your breath as you uncontrollably click on OMNI/PR.
You're definitely wrong about this. I have noticed the steam spurting out of my nose and fogging up the monitor so I can no longer see what I'm responding to.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:30 am
iff

So if OMNI gets put back together, what happens when the next election rolls around? Will it be split again? Wouldn't it be better to just choose one or the other and stick with it?

With the current global economic situation and the new admininstration, no doubt there will be a good deal of political talk for some time to come.

That said, I'm ambivalent about the split: It has its positives and negatives. The fact that OMNI is open to Google is much more disturbing to me, but that's a different subject.

My two centimes, for as little as those are worth these days!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:00 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Like to clarify something here. It's not my poll. I wasn't looking for anything specific and i actually had nothing to do with the poll, just a rogue Moderator i think!

At the end of the day, a judgement call by me based on my actual experience over the past several years of seeing up front the contentious issues that politics and religion has at times. In fact, it is highly likely that no other single member has seen these contentious items as close as i have and that is something that might be considered by anyone reading in. I think most of us are aware that an outside view and more often, even a ringside view is not nearly the same as the view from the center. As I also explained elsewhere, I did my research and watched and compared considerations with another Web site that actually had far more traffic than FlyerTalk and got their reasons, experience and more importantly, their results since their change was a number of months ago and thus i could trust that they were able to look back over a period of time to see the results. Anyway, hope this helps you get a much more clear picture of this and again, the poll is only a reference point that i stumbled upon. You might respect as well it is always difficult to do any polls since they can be considered the tool of the activist and not necessarily the result of the population. You know, we all this solely on a volunteer basis and try to make as best decisions we can. Now, I do appreciate that there are the armchair quarterbacks and back-seat drivers on FlyerTalk, just as there are on any issues, but generally speaking our gut instinct decisions on what has been right for FlyerTalk has been fairly good, witness the continued growth of Flyer
Talk and for me personally, the increased value of information which I'm able to take advantage of because of the good intentions of our other members.

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Though I thought that this was a dead issue, I'm strongly in favor of a merge.

I just wanted to point out that a vote for being "okay with the idea" should not be counted in the pro-Randy's move camp. It can just as easily be counted in the other camp.

Eliminating this category, more are actively displeased with the move than are actively pleased.

Randy, if you wanted an honest poll, you should create one with only two options: 1) keep it split, 2) merge it back. That would give you an accurate estimate of people's opinion on this issue, not a retrospective view on a decision that was perceived as unchangable.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:02 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually I wasn't and you will note or perhaps missed that the poll is not mine not was i involved in its inception. I had only stumbled upon it and given the idea from koko, just thought he might like to have a point-of-reference.
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'm confused by something, Randy. Since when are you for looking at the number of users who support a particular policy as an indication of what should be done? In this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=121) you explicitly reject the idea that 50 people can accurately reflect the will of the OMNI population when it comes to opening it up to Google. Yet here you seem willing to take a far smaller percentage of the population as an indication of what members prefer.

Why the discrepancy?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I actually had nothing to do with the poll, just a rogue Moderator i think!

100% correctamundo.

Pizzaman and I started this poll and signed Randy's name to it as well as he's one of the OMNI moderators. I don't think we even told Randy about it...he just ran across it recently, AFAIK, when he was doing some research.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:09 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

While I'll forgive you for misspelling my name, i think it wonderful that you have an opinion. As a candidate, and again, thanks for your participation this year, you might want to make sure that you also acknowledge the experiences of others. I think you'll find reference in this thread of members who's opinion of the PR part of OMNI is sort of threatening and you might have seen overtime that OMNI had become sort of a joke on FT and that is really unacceptable. While it can be challenging, the truth is I have converted to trying to protect OMNI and thought is best, as per my comments elsewhere on this thread (look at the considerations I made before the decision) to make the change so that from the first glance, OMNI reflects a pretty welcoming and pleasant category of off-topic threads that can encourage participation rather than on occasion (thus the jokes about OMNI) the threat of OMNI. Agree or not, I would only ask that at least you spend some time trying to read and understand the points that may be different than yours.

Again, thanks for your participation in this years TalkBoard elections and hope to see your involvement next year as well.

Originally Posted by BillScann
I am in favor of OMNI reunification and will vote accordingly if elected to TalkBoard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.