Proposal: Add forum for, "Fitness on the go"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Add forum for, "Fitness on the go"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I commented in the private TB forum that if this proposal does gain legs, I'd like to see it expanded to "healthy living on the go" given the number of "how do I eat healthy" threads that pop up on various airline threads and that I've seen in other places (like Women Travelers). These threads usually start at "since airline X cut out this blah-blah special meal, how do eat healthy now?" and diverge into the same territory no matter where they are posted.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Good idea, techgirl! ^
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Looks like discussion here stalled a bit, so I'll post some links to other threads in Flyertalk to get things moving along:

Hotels-->Hilton HHonors forum, post, "Which Hiltons have the best fitness centers"
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567961

In the same forum, there are postings within some property-specific threads such as Hilton Hawaiian Village, Hilton Waikola Village, etc that contain gym info. I remember specifically posting some info about both of these properties, but finding it is proving difficult.

In this thread, "Quick Trip Report - Hampton Inn Carson City, Nevada", I asked the poster to elaborate a bit on the workout facilities at the property:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829251

A quick browse in the hotels-->Starwood forum, found this post: Westin Workout rooms: are they worth it? How available are they?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801147

In the Travelbuzz forum, I found this thread: I hate hotel workout rooms
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=workout

In the Airline forums, US Airways Dividend Miles forum, I started a thread in June about a trip to LAS, including using the 24 Hour Fitness onsite:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834156

Omni forum, thread, "How much do you pay for gym membership":
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856887

Also in Omni, the Omni Exercise Blog:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504159

I agree with techgirl, that if this moves forward, a "Healthy Living," approach would be more appropriate. I remember reading a story in Men's Fitness some time ago about being in a hotel room, late at night, restaurants closed, and you're stuck with a vending machine that has AAA, BBB, and CCC, which do you select to not break your diet. Things like that, along with the meal to select (or not), along with what snacks to pack, would certainly all fit in.

Please let me know what other support I can gather together.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So its been over a week since anyone posted in this thread. What happens next...where do we go from here?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've been out of town for 9 days, but I'm still supportive of the creation of this forum. Actually more so following my trip than before. And I like techgirl's idea of expanding it a bit in scope.

Also I'd prefer it to be a forum than a social networking group for a couple of reasons:

a) not everyone does the premium FT so they would automatically be excluded, which means some potentially good input could be lost;

b) based on the # of emails I've gotten re: joining a gazillion dif social networking groups or being friends since FT started it, odds are I'm not going to join them all, as I barely have enough time to check the forums I am interested in. Granted this would a single one, but I'd rather have it created as a forum & then just add it to MyFlyertalk.

So, again my vote goes for the add the forum.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
a) not everyone does the premium FT so they would automatically be excluded, which means some potentially good input could be lost;
I was under the impression that you needed to be a premium FTer to create a social group, but not necessarily to join one. Is that not the case?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've brought this topic up in the private TB forum & I support at Travel Health & Fitness forum.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thumbs up One more in favor

Even though I spend a lot more time on another fitness website, I would find value on having this forum on FT also. Especially since most people on the other site don't do any significant travelling.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:47 pm

Since there's a thread mentioning that comments welcome - voting underway, perhaps people should post in that one instead?

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:49 pm

I agree this would be a helpful section to add onto FlyerTalk. One of the things I hate about travelling is not being able to keep my regular workout routine. I lift weights competitively, and must keep on working out while on the road, otherwise risk sliding backwards.

New cities are always a challange - as I never know where the nearest fitness center is located.

Plus, "fitness centers" at hotels are wildly erratic, ranging from a few treadmills and a universal machine, to some places with either enough free weights to get a good workout in, or those who issue passes to the nearest "real" fitness center.

--jofegan
Hunki wrote:

Even though I spend a lot more time on another fitness website, I would find value on having this forum on FT also. Especially since most people on the other site don't do any significant travelling.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Where did this end up?

I was looking for exactly this sort of venue at FT today and found this thread. Still looks like nothing was created -- is there any activity or discussion underway to create a forum?
Matt
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PriceIsRight
I was looking for exactly this sort of venue at FT today and found this thread. Still looks like nothing was created -- is there any activity or discussion underway to create a forum?
Matt
No, it died a similar quiet death as did our gazillionith attempt at upgrading FT's smilies choices.

Perhaps now that we have a relatively new TB in place, the issue will be revived. I'm not so much in favor of it as to champion the cause but I might be convinced to support a motion.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
No, it died a similar quiet death as did our gazillionith attempt at upgrading FT's smilies choices.

Perhaps now that we have a relatively new TB in place, the issue will be revived. I'm not so much in favor of it as to champion the cause but I might be convinced to support a motion.
I intend to revive it, but figured we'd let the new TB settle in a bit. Also, now knowing from the last time that a simple yes I support it is not adequate for some of the TB members in terms of considering input, will let the folk who did support it the last time know that they'll need to augment their responses.

PS - It didn't really die a quiet death. It didn't get the requisite # of votes because a TB member who was supportive of it wasn't able to vote at the time, hence it was short one vote in terms of passing.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Here's the result of the TB motion from last term.

Personally, I still support the forum. ^
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here's the result of the TB motion from last term.

Personally, I still support the forum. ^
I'd forgotten that we even voted on this motion.

But then again I've also forgotten what I had for breakfast this morning.

I've mellowed in the New Year and might even support this motion if it comes up for a vote again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.