Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Add forum for, "Fitness on the go"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
That's kind of my initial thoughts on the matter too. I've seen too many very well answered threads on the destination forums I read in the past. I wonder if those threads would be as well answered if they were moved to a catch-all forum, and I tend to doubt it because instead of visitors having questions answered by those who use the gyms week in week out, they'd have to hope that someone else reading the forum for gym travel tips had happened to go to the gym/area being being inquired about.
This would also be how I see it. Besides, if you start such a forum, then why not one on just about every activity on the go: golfing on the go, theatre on the go, arts on the go, fly-fishing on the go, etc... to the point where you wonder what is the point at all of having destination fora, and where you have to visit 50 fora for any destination you want to visit to reap, as Jenbel mentions, probably very little and possibly low quality information on each.

To some extent, this is not entirely different from the discussion we had on Gaming but concluded that gaming was different because of the much closer link with point schemes and travel.

I also note that the dining buzz forum, which is probably the closest comparison, explicitly excludes destination-specific information which is left to the regional fora as the best place for those kind of questions.

Now, if we take away destination specific fora, what does that leave us with on a Fitness forum? Exercise blogs and "which gym should I join?" type questions? But you have to ask yourself: is FT really the place you are likely to get the best quality of answers on these or would you not rather go to a fitness-related board (rather than an FFP one) to get answers on this?
By all means, let these be discussed on OMNI if FTers want to. That is the whole point of OMNI: discuss whatever you want there. But I really doubt that "which gym should I join?"-type questions are in FT's remit and really require a forum to be set up. FT is not the be-all and end-all of any question any FTer might have on the universe and beyond. Let us excel at what we are good at and recognise our limitations and not try to be everything for everyone.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NickB
Besides, if you start such a forum, then why not one on just about every activity on the go: golfing on the go, theatre on the go, arts on the go, fly-fishing on the go, etc... to the point where you wonder what is the point at all of having destination fora, and where you have to visit 50 fora for any destination you want to visit to reap, as Jenbel mentions, probably very little and possibly low quality information on each.
Excellent reasoning IMO.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I would be open to this if there is a demand.

We really encouraged one another to exercise on the road and it is a real challenge at times. Especially for folks traveling alone, this could be a great benefit.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Besides, if you start such a forum, then why not one on just about every activity on the go: golfing on the go, theatre on the go, arts on the go, fly-fishing on the go, etc...
Is this not the precedent that TB has started with its Traveling w/ Pets, Traveling w/ Children, Traveling w/ Disability, etc.?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:22 pm
mjm
Original Member

Given the time difference I am now up as many of you prepare for bed, but I am intrigued with the responses coming out from some of the members. I would like to reply to them here and will post their comments first followed immediately by own.

Originally Posted by Wingnut
It strikes me that these threads should either go into the geographic forums (if they're location specific) or in the hotel forums (if they're chain specific). I wouldn't dream of looking in OMNI for a "What gym should I go to in London / New York" answer - I'd go to the London or New York forum. And I speak as someone to whom the gym is very important - I go every day when travelling and often use FT to find info on where to go. Further, moving threads out of hotel chain forums would seem very strange ("What's the gym like at the such-and-such Hilton" should surely remain in the Hilton forum).

The only threads that I think would be best suited to this forum are "is running better for me than swimming" - and that kind of thread I reckon could happily stay in OMNI...
I am in agreement with the concept that if one searches for a thread or info on a specific location and cannot find it in that geographic or Hotel forum, they would reasonably believe it did not exist. A very good point and one which must be allowed for if a new forum is created. I think the new forum would reasonably have the responsibility to maintain a FAQ as sticky that had links in it to threads in location specific forums. This is not cross posting, but merely a reference. It could be along the lines of:

Gyms in:
Manchester (followed by appropriate link to that geographic forum’s thread)

Ditto for Hotels.

But that is just a reference. The proposed forum is so much more. Surely if the gym is important to a user, it is easy enough to imagine threads that talked about, for example:
1. Workouts suited to hotel rooms
2. Best workout if jetlagged
3. What diet is best with X, Y, or Z workout?
4. Managing time away from a specific weight regimen?
5. What are good substitutes for my regular workout?
Etc., etc., etc.

So to be able to envision a running vs. swimming thread being the only really suitable type of thread for the proposed forum seems to indicate the need for greater consideration of the types of thread that may be suitable. OMNI is a great forum for many things,, but as a place that is a easy to search via a scan of newly posted threads, it is not ideal. I would suggest that a forum as proposed might well be welcomed by those currently relegated to looking in OMNI. Noise to signal is too high there.

That's kind of my initial thoughts on the matter too. I've seen too many very well answered threads on the destination forums I read in the past. I wonder if those threads would be as well answered if they were moved to a catch-all forum, and I tend to doubt it because instead of visitors having questions answered by those who use the gyms week in week out, they'd have to hope that someone else reading the forum for gym travel tips had happened to go to the gym/area being being inquired about.
So it seems that there is common agreement that removing the Hotel and Geographic specific forum threads is a poor idea. I agree with this. If this were the basis on which this forum were created I would vote against it myself. I believe that keeping the threads in the location and hotels forums where they currently exist is a good call. I do however think that such info is too widely dispersed to be of use for the member whose main query relates to Health and Fitness rather than a specific geographic area. The new forum would serve a broad range of needs and could easily have a user maintained (as in other forums) sticky that acted as a compendium of location and hotel specific threads. Much more to this issue than merely relocating information, but as the above two posts illustrate, we should be very careful about not relocating certain hotel and location specific data. The OMNI data could very reasonably be relocated however.

”Some of post deleted by mjm as it reinforces a very good point stated and agreed to regarding the need to not do a way with some of the gym threads being in locations specific forums.”

Now, if we take away destination specific fora, what does that leave us with on a Fitness forum? Exercise blogs and "which gym should I join?" type questions? But you have to ask yourself: is FT really the place you are likely to get the best quality of answers on these or would you not rather go to a fitness-related board (rather than an FFP one) to get answers on this? By all means, let these be discussed on OMNI if FTers want to. That is the whole point of OMNI: discuss whatever you want there. But I really doubt that "which gym should I join?"-type questions are in FT's remit and really require a forum to be set up. FT is not the be-all and end-all of any question any FTer might have on the universe and beyond. Let us excel at what we are good at and recognize our limitations and not try to be everything for everyone.
Again I would point out that the stated but entirely limited view of what might exist in a Fitness forum is but a small subset of the type of info I would hope to find there. The “Let them eat cake” style comments about OMNI being the place for any and all such conversations is admittedly humorous, but I think that it was intended to be serious. That speaks to a lack of understanding. How to resolve that? I do not have a great answer to that, but I think NickB has been around long enough to know that many do in fact use FT as the first place or one of a few main places they seek knowledge. People have come to trust the info received here and as such, not being strictly about Miles and Points is not exactly valid reasoning to not consider this forum.

I do hope that more serious discussion of this forum continues, and if the destination specific and hotels forum concerns have been adequately addressed, that we can in fact look at the reasons for the creation of the forum as opposed to simply trying to compare fitness to all other OMNI type threads. If it does not work out after say 6 months, can it and move it to OMNI. FT, like many living documents the world over, is designed to address changing needs by its very nature. This may well be a need whose time has come. Shall we be brave enough to try it?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Is this not the precedent that TB has started with its Traveling w/ Pets, Traveling w/ Children, Traveling w/ Disability, etc.?
IMO, this is fundamentally different. Those fora are primarily oriented towards issues arising out of the logistics of travel with children, pets, etc... The typical kind of threads are "Getting through screening with a 18-month old" or "taxes for lap child on international" or "traveling with pet in cabin", "airlines hike pet fares" or "traveling with oxygen" or "wheelchair procedures and etiquette". They are not oriented towards "What is the best school in my city" type-question.

Originally Posted by mjm
I think NickB has been around long enough to know that many do in fact use FT as the first place or one of a few main places they seek knowledge. People have come to trust the info received here and as such, not being strictly about Miles and Points is not exactly valid reasoning to not consider this forum.
Sure. Some FTers have exchanges on FT which have nothing to do with points and miles, or even travel at all. That is why we have Omni, or lounge threads within specific fora. This is their very purpose. It does not follow from that FT should create a forum for just about anything individuals who happen to be FTers wish to talk about. FT has a focus: it is a pretty unique repository of expertise and experience of frequent travelers programme and frequent travel. I would prefer it not to lose that focus and have a couple of dozens forum on travel lost in a thousand fora on the meaning of life and the universe. I do not think that FT would gain by attempting to be eveything and anything for everybody and anybody.

I am sorry if my comment had a "let them eat cake" sound to it. It is not how it was intended. It was, however, intended to convey the view that FT is a BB with a specific focus, not an all-purpose social networking site and I would prefer it to remain that way.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:08 am

IMO, this is fundamentally different. Those fora are primarily oriented towards issues arising out of the logistics of travel with children, pets, etc... The typical kind of threads are "Getting through screening with a 18-month old" or "taxes for lap child on international" or "traveling with pet in cabin", "airlines hike pet fares" or "traveling with oxygen" or "wheelchair procedures and etiquette". They are not oriented towards "What is the best school in my city" type-question.
But that just takes one of the proposed thread types. The examples given in the OP are very much about logistics of travel when one is an exerciser. Just as one might ask in the Pet forum which airline is most accommodating of golden retrievers, one might ask in the exercise forum what hotel chain generally has the most impressive gyms.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:50 am
mjm
Original Member

Fundamentally different? Hmmm…. That does not hold if the differentiating characteristic is “What can I as a member of a “Ft Special Interest Group” do to facilitate the enjoyment of my travel experience? It would seem you feel that travelers with Children, Pets, or Wheelchairs think solely of the airport and the airplane when considering their “special interest” when traveling. Again I say, Hmmmm…..

Travel to most of us is so much more than the getting there. I would say that the mere existence of the Hotel fora is indicative of that. And if those with an interest in the destination have a “Special Interest”, what exactly is it that sets a pet or a belief system, or a child above, in terms of worthiness for a forum to locate and centralize information, the desire to exercise?

It strikes me that if one perceives Fitness as solely finding the gym, then that person may actually not be as into the exercise part of the equation as the holding of a membership card. In re-reading that sentence it sounds like I am finger pointing, but please take it as intended. That is to say, there is so much more to Fitness than merely finding a great gym. Heck, if that were all this proposed forum were about I would vote against it as well.

As to the “some FTers” having exchanges on things other than points and miles, I would say you undershoot the mark by a fair margin. Look at fora such as:

TravelBuzz (verily defined as non-Frequent Flyer oriented)
Travel Technology
Travel Photography
Travel Products
Travel Safety
Cruises
CommunityBuzz
Etc.

All of these and more evolve because the travel experience is not solely mile and points. Were that the case those fora would have never come into existence. Or have been allowed to exist once re-examined. The point is the travel experience extends far beyond the plane and the airport. Those are two of my favorite parts for sure, but not the only two parts. What I believe is being suggested with this forum is the ability to enhance the post arrival part of the travel in a way that is as efficient as the Hotel for a, the Dining forum, etc.

As for apologizing for the “Let them eat cake” perception I had, no need sir, no need. I appreciate the opinions and I enjoy the debate. I would suggest though that our own perception of what FT is or should be can all too thoroughly color our commentary on the validity of the ideas of others. I find myself to be a prime offender in that regard all to often, but I am still hopeful that my input is well received even though I do tend to be the one asking, “what forest?” all to often.

Sure. Some FTers have exchanges on FT which have nothing to do with points and miles, or even travel at all. That is why we have Omni, or lounge threads within specific fora. This is their very purpose. It does not follow from that FT should create a forum for just about anything individuals who happen to be FTers wish to talk about. FT has a focus: it is a pretty unique repository of expertise and experience of frequent travelers programme and frequent travel. I would prefer it not to lose that focus and have a couple of dozens forum on travel lost in a thousand fora on the meaning of life and the universe. I do not think that FT would gain by attempting to be eveything and anything for everybody and anybody.

I am sorry if my comment had a "let them eat cake" sound to it. It is not how it was intended. It was, however, intended to convey the view that FT is a BB with a specific focus, not an all-purpose social networking site and I would prefer it to remain that way.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
My other thought is, and it's been kind of raised already, that we don't know what goodies (if any!) the new version of FT will bring us and for issues such as this, as someone up thread already pointed out, there may be some new tools to handle this kind of problem, where we can classify threads in different ways.

I normally hate wait and see responses, but since we seem to be so close to the change over, then I suggest a little bit of waiting and seeing wouldn't hurt.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:02 am

My other thought is, and it's been kind of raised already, that we don't know what goodies (if any!) the new version of FT will bring us and for issues such as this, as someone up thread already pointed out, there may be some new tools to handle this kind of problem, where we can classify threads in different ways.

I normally hate wait and see responses, but since we seem to be so close to the change over, then I suggest a little bit of waiting and seeing wouldn't hurt.
IME, that is not an advisable approach when it comes to IT.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
IME, that is not an advisable approach when it comes to IT.
I definitely said 'a little bit'. I was going to add something about kicking me in 2 weeks if nothing had been heard, but thought that was probably unwise
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:08 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
While I can see both sides of this debate, it seems to me that FT could be a very good place for the intersection of people passionate about travel and people passionate about fitness. And God knows I'd benefit from a few more workouts on the road rather than treating travel as an excuse to not work out.

So, while it may indeed confuse folks about where a 'jogging in Bangkok' thread might belong, upon reflection, I think I'd be willing to give a fitness while travelling forum a try.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:13 am

I definitely said 'a little bit'. I was going to add something about kicking me in 2 weeks if nothing had been heard, but thought that was probably unwise
I'm with you in hoping that the new version gives us nice goodies, but I just don't see how those goodies would amount to solving this particular issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but then again, those would have to be some damn good goodies.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Fundamentally different? Hmmm…. That does not hold if the differentiating characteristic is “What can I as a member of a “Ft Special Interest Group” do to facilitate the enjoyment of my travel experience? It would seem you feel that travelers with Children, Pets, or Wheelchairs think solely of the airport and the airplane when considering their “special interest” when traveling. Again I say, Hmmmm…..

Travel to most of us is so much more than the getting there. I would say that the mere existence of the Hotel fora is indicative of that. And if those with an interest in the destination have a “Special Interest”, what exactly is it that sets a pet or a belief system, or a child above, in terms of worthiness for a forum to locate and centralize information, the desire to exercise?

It strikes me that if one perceives Fitness as solely finding the gym, then that person may actually not be as into the exercise part of the equation as the holding of a membership card. In re-reading that sentence it sounds like I am finger pointing, but please take it as intended. That is to say, there is so much more to Fitness than merely finding a great gym. Heck, if that were all this proposed forum were about I would vote against it as well.

As to the “some FTers” having exchanges on things other than points and miles, I would say you undershoot the mark by a fair margin. Look at fora such as:

TravelBuzz (verily defined as non-Frequent Flyer oriented)
Travel Technology
Travel Photography
Travel Products
Travel Safety
Cruises
CommunityBuzz
Etc.

All of these and more evolve because the travel experience is not solely mile and points. Were that the case those fora would have never come into existence. Or have been allowed to exist once re-examined. The point is the travel experience extends far beyond the plane and the airport. Those are two of my favorite parts for sure, but not the only two parts. What I believe is being suggested with this forum is the ability to enhance the post arrival part of the travel in a way that is as efficient as the Hotel for a, the Dining forum, etc.
No, not solely miles and points but closely related to the travel process itself (except CommunityBuzz, but I don't think that one can base an argument just on CommunityBuzz).

It seems to me that, a "fitness on the go" forum would be a forum that would be defined by what you do while you travel rather than the travel process itself. I can think of only two existing fora that fit that description: Diningbuzz and Gaming.
Gaming only garnered support after the proposal was turned into a "gaming loyalty programs" forum rather than a more generic one precisely on the ground that otherwise we were moving too far away from travel and miles and points (what has happened to this, btw? I can't seem to find it anywhere).

So that leaves us with DiningBuzz. Not sure whether it is on its own that much of a precedent.

Also, if we take away the location-specific items which many posters have agreed should stay in location specific fora, unless I have misunderstood, I do not see that many topics on fitness that would remain travel-related.

I take it that those who think that a "fitness on the go forum" is a good idea would presumably agree too to "Arts on the Go", "Dance on the Go", "Reading on the Go", "Music on the Go", "Golfing on the Go", "Architecture" on the Go, "TV on the Go", "Radio on the Go", etc...?

After all, these are pretty much indistinguishable from Fitness on the go: all fora defined solely by an activity that one might wish to undertake while traveling.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:05 am

It seems to me that, a "fitness on the go" forum would be a forum that would be defined by what you do while you travel rather than the travel process itself. I can think of only two existing fora that fit that description: Diningbuzz and Gaming.
I couldn't disagree more. For many of us exercising on the road is definitely part of the travel process. Exercise is intimately linked with our travel just as much as figuring out the good tourist sites, finding a nice beach, or taking a nice picture are.

Further, if you're going to use the metric you just identified, a whole host of fora aren't covered besides Diningbuzz and Gaming. How is Travel Photography about the travel process? Or any of the destination fora, for that matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.