Reload this Page >

(Voting Completed: Motion Passed) Choice Privileges Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Voting Completed: Motion Passed) Choice Privileges Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Count me in.
Heck, I'd even support MORE categories for other chains if it'd filter out the noise & clutter from programs that *I* use.

That said, I have to chuckle at who-and-why of those NO!-NO-N! posts:

- from the member with, in two years, 15 posts in ALL hotel forums:
Originally Posted by
"I don't think there is enough activity.."
- Axe to grind?
Originally Posted by
"Sure I wouldn't mind a Choice forum just as long as it's created after a Fairmont forum..."
- and .. ummm.. size DOES matter ? With over 5,000 hotels open and under development..
Originally Posted by
Starwood Preferred Guest . Over 850 hotels, 95 countries
Marriott Rewards . . . . . . . Over 2,300 hotels, 60 countries
Hilton HHonors . . . . . . . . .Over 2,500 hotels, 60 countries
Hyatt Gold Passport . . . . . Over 200 hotels, 40 countries
Priority Club Rewards . . . . Over 3,400 hotels, 90 countries

(Data sourced from: www.starwoodhotels.com/ ... /program_comparison.html )
\ One post - One vote. Unless we're on the Chicago model.
\\ you're invited to search my Choice posts.
\\\ too much 'passion' will get you on a sex-offender list.

/.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tazi
I don't think there is enough activity to warrant its' own forum. In the last 45 days there are only 2 pages of threads in the entire Other Hotels forum. Splitting out Choice would mean you would have two forums with only one page of threads each in over a month. In addition, if you seperate Choice then people will have to search in two places to find info.

Agreed.

But more importantly I don't think Choice deserves the recognition for its mediocre program.

I just paid $200/nt rack rate to stay at a Choice property in Australia. Guess what? No points for any properties outside North America (except Ireland). That is the definition of a mediocre program as there is no reward for loyalty.

Choice has also shown poor judgment through its actions viz the Amtrak/Choice/WN transfer fiasco.

In light of the foregoing it should be no surprise that FTers have little interest in posting about Choice.

So count me as one vote against.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Actually, it would appear that the vast majority of FlyerTalkers who have spoken up, as well as a good chunk of Freddie Award voters, really like this progam. That is how they won their award.

Do I anticipate that I will use the program? No.

Do I think that folks who want the programs deserve it? Yes

I really am just not egomaniacal enough to think that what I want, or what I would use, or think other people would use, has any bearing at all on the validity of a forum for FlyerTalk.

If a group of folks want it, and it makes sense, that is good enough for me. ^
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
But more importantly I don't think Choice deserves the recognition for its mediocre program.
And you don't think we need a chance to gripe?
Actually, one of the ways in which a Choice forum could be important is in providing an information sharing place about the good and the bad of individual Choice properties. For example, I'm traveling to X city--of the 10 Choice properties in the area, are any okay?

As for the program's geographic availability, Choice has announced that earning and membership will be extended to additional countries (likely starting with Europe) this year.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Neither does the TSA, but they have their own forum.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Here's what I just posted on the private TB forum:

I think I am going to vote for it on the basis of the size, maturity and anticipated growth of the program beyond the US and Ireland. And I was favorably impressed with the quick response and attention to my own Choice post so I think the interest and knowledge truly is there.

Plus I think any program that is worthy of a Freddie is worthy of a forum. @:-)

BTW the TB members have less than four days left to decide how to vote. If you have any arguments for or against to influence how other TB members vote, now is the time to make them!

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 25, 2008 at 9:26 am
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:24 am

Thumbs up

I participate in Choice Privileges Program and vote YES ^
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by soitgoes
And you don't think we need a chance to gripe?
Good point. ^

Particularly if Choice takes FT comments as seriously as other chains that have appointed official representatives (e.g. Marriott, SPG, Hyatt).
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:58 pm

Although I am not a big fan of choice hotels, I think it is both practical and more efficient to create a forum devoted to it. So, it gets my vote. ^
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster and GameStop, several libraries
I vote in favor of its own forum.

I accidentally ended up with 125K choice points after the WN transfer scheme, since I had not had a stay with them in the recent past (and transfers out of the program was restricted on that basis). This is when I discovered what great value the points can be. One night's stay in norway is 16,000 points, yet paying for the room (in local currency) would cost $300! now, that's a good deal! Add to it, that the hotel itself is rather boutiqy.

Now I'd be interested to have a place where Icould go back and learn abotu promo's etc.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
I vote yay.

After all, Choice has better locations where I travel (Florida) than Trip Rewards, judging by TripAdvisor.com.

There are new Choice Suites locations in Fort Pierce and Fort Myers. I don't see any new Days Inn or Wyndham locations in Fla., let alone any Wyndhams in south and western Fla.

BW locations are kind of ratty in Fla., so I don't stay there anymore, though there are some newer places.

Choice as many have said offers better promotions and doesn't use an ancient stay tracking system.

I plan to participate in a new Choice forum.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: MP Premier Exec, HH Silver, SPG, MR, CP-D, AGR S+
I agree, I think the Freddie is a big factor.
Plus, I believe this program has potential and is evolving, the larger older programs don't have much room to innovate, but these guys do, so let's try to help influence that evolution.

I vote yes
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
I would vote yes for a forum.
Unlike most of the other brands, there is a greater variance between properties which may deserve some comment. In addition, Choice provides frequent promotions and a wide variety of opportunities to transfer points to other frequent flyer programs (the Southwest Rapid Rewards transfer has been widely discussed and is fairly robust.) In addition, the CP credit card has no fee and may be an attractive alternative to other fee-based airline cards. All in all, there should be a fair amount of material to comment on.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:59 pm

Vote: Yes

If points are what you chase there is no better program on the market and you can use them in many different ways. (Preferred Hotels, Choice Hotels, Airlines, Gift Cards, Train, and now even golf amongst others.)
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Motion Passed!

On 29 January 2008, the TalkBoard passed 6-3, the following:

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by Punki:

that a Choice Privileges forum be created under Hotel Programs.

Voting for: Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, techgirl

Voting against: bhatnasx, gleff, Spiff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.