Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

(Voting Completed: Motion Passed) Creation of a Travel Products Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:28 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Dear Talkboard and Members,

I have noticed an increase in the number of travel product related questions over the past months on Flyertalk.

From Travel Luggage, wallets, clothing, headphones, travel agencies and the like.

I would like to recommend that the Talkboard considering adding a Travel Products and Services Forum under the Travel & Dining area. The description could be "This forum is for all your questions, recommendations and comments on the latest in Travel Products and Services." I am sure someone could come up with a better description. Just thinking it would be great to have one place with all the luggage, wallet, headphone recommendations.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'd love to see this. These types of threads are scattered all over. The most puzzling is a current Tumi thread in travel tech

I suspect all these travel product threads are left where they land by the mods because there's no really good place to put them and deleting them would serve no purpose at all since the information is needed and good.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mary is right. I've always left them in Travel Tech simply because there is no better place for them.

I'd be perfectly content if the Talkboard voted on changing the description of Travel Tech to Travel Products.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ScottC
I'd be perfectly content if the Talkboard voted on changing the description of Travel Tech to Travel Products.
That would work.

But then isn't the forum somewhat unwieldy with mixed threads discussing WiFi, luggage, SIM cards, laptops, clothing and whatever else on the same page??

Why not just leave Travel Tech as truly a tech forum? I'm sure that'll please the regulars who visit the forum now for advice, info and discussion on the latest and greatest tech devices.

And create either a separate forum or a sub-forum where all the non-tech threads like luggage, wallets, clothing, etc. could be created or transferred.

With FT's member base continuing to grow at a fast clip, I think we could justify separate areas to discuss both categories.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you show the demand? What's wrong w/ the way it is? What are the downsides of leaving it status quo?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

I would actually prefer that the threads not be in the Travel Technology Forum.... would like to see that be more "technical" in nature.

PLEASE... not a sub forum.... that has all types of problems about what shows as latest thread. I would hope it would deserve a parent forum status.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chexfan
Can you show the demand? What's wrong w/ the way it is? What are the downsides of leaving it status quo?
Always willing to show demand. I will leave it up to the Talkboard as to whether they see anything wrong or downsides.

Laptop Bags - Specfically Briggs & Riley: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Tumi: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Recommend a Good Travel Wallet: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

TravelPro Warranty: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Recommendations for Luggage and Bags: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Weekend Bag Recommendation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Your Favorite Wallet: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=tumi

Just a few threads that come up with Search on "Tumi"... lots more out there for anyone who wants to search.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey
Just a few threads that come up with Search on "Tumi"... lots more out there for anyone who wants to search.
Actually isn't the onus on those who are asking for the forum?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

I choose to not take the onus....

I have made a recommendation that I believe is in the best interest of our membership and community. The Talkboard will decide whether or not it is.

This is not about SPAM and freebies... and prefer that it not go down that road.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey
I have made a recommendation that I believe is in the best interest of our membership and community. The Talkboard will decide whether or not it is.

This is not about SPAM and freebies... and prefer that it not go down that road.
I'm sorry, when seeking new forums, the TB has expressed a desire to show a need. 7 threads isn't an "unmet need" IMO.

But who knows, your tactic may be successful (it shouldn't if the past is any precedent) as the target is always moving to whatever is best suited by the contituency.

And I don't understand, why did you bring up SPAM and freebies?

Again, what is wrong with the status quo?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Even as a member, I do not presume to talk for all of TalkBoard -- so how can you?

We are nine different people, all of whom have a shared goal of making FlyerTalk better, but in no way can be said to have the same methods of achieving that.

For example, I have repeated said that I will support the request for any national flag carrier if 25 members say they are members of its FF program and will post regularly on the forum. I don't believe that any other TB member has said that will be enough to get his or her vote.

We do not have, nor should we have, any cut and dried criteria for a forum. Each member should make his own decision based on his own best judgment.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

On the subject of demand, we see recurring threads on my local airline forum (the BA board) relating to product recommendations.

I would personally support this proposal - if only to do my bit in educating the world that LV luggage is just inherently wrong
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having benefited from their "traveling with only solids" thread, I must say this would devastate the Women Travelers forum
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would support this forum since so many of the travel products threads are scattered amongst so many different forums.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Having benefited from their "traveling with only solids" thread, I must say this would devastate the Women Travelers forum
Funny... I'm always interested in travel products and yet was just thinking this forum would probably have the greatest impact on the Women Travelers forum. We've had discussions on the best mascara for travel; the tiniest eyelash curlers for packing ease; eyelash extensions, which are a product that allow you to no longer have to travel with mascara; travel vases; travel shoes that are unique to women; and so many more. As one of the moderators there, I would leave these discussions in the women's forum because they fit our purpose in that they are "primarily of interest to women" and because a thread on eyelash curlers would quickly drop to to page 112, but I can certainly predict a whole lot of RBPs asking that these be moved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.