Proposal: new forum for Virgin America eleVAte FFP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: new forum for Virgin America eleVAte FFP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by 707Flyer
why not just collapse all programs then into NA, SA, Europe, Asia?

far cleaner classification if an airline generating so much interest among flyers and the press had its own forum, not to mention the fact that it has more threads than the AirTran, Midwest, and Frontier boards
Because other programs are popular and have a demonstrated need, two qualities that eleVAte does not currently possess.

I am willing to entertain suggestions to collapse AirTran, Midwest, and Frontier (and other low-popularity programs) into ONSAFFP, if you'll be so kind as to start a new thread.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Originally Posted by Spiff
Because other programs are popular and have a demonstrated need
by what metrics do you measure "popular" and "demonstrated need"?

..and no, not starting another thread, this is relevant to eleVAte members
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:45 am

by what metrics do you measure "popular" and "demonstrated need"?

..and no, not starting another thread, this is relevant to eleVAte members
I measure by seeing a fair amount of quality posts, threads, and traffic. I do not use absolute numbers, for that just encourages inane posts/threads like:

Isn't elevAte cool?

So, I recommend you and other proponents concentrate on discussing eleVAte and come see the TalkBoard again when eleVAte is a lot closer to being popular with a demonstrated need.

If you're going to complain about other airlines having their own FF forums, then be prepared to see those programs join eleVAte in the ONSAFFP forum, where perhaps they all belong.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
I'd like to see eleVAte get it's own forum.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
I vote YES.

With 11 pages of posts within ~3 months, there is definitely interest. I agree with post #2 "It's a no-brainer".

From a website POV, a lot of FT'ers go to other sites for VA posts. ... FT admins should think of all the lost traffic and ad views.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
With 11 pages of posts within ~3 months, there is definitely interest. I agree with post #2 "It's a no-brainer".
I disagree completely.

This thread is hardly a metric of a demonstrated need. Most of the posts are "I want an eleVAte forum" and me saying "show me a demonstrated need."

If you want an eleVAte forum, don't give me this "I want" nonsense and have no valuable posts/threads in the Other North and South American Frequent Flyer Programs Forum. I'll not give consideration to 'Teddy out of the 'pram' posts as my colleague Jenbel so eloquently puts it. Other TalkBoard members may feel differently, but for me it's a no-go without a REAL, demonstrated need.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because other programs are popular and have a demonstrated need, two qualities that eleVAte does not currently possess.
Why is this inconsistent with the TalkBoard? Other forum suggestions have shown a demonstrated need AND been popular, but haven't been created.

The TB seems to be shifting the target.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
It's getting ridiculous as we have to go through LAN and Porter posts in order to discuss VX. I think there's a Skybus thread that's the only other on the front page about a US carrier.

Not only is VX post activity competitive with AirTran, Frontier, Midwest etc, there are probably a number of people not posting because the forum doesn't exist. Already had one VX thread open up in the Virgin Atlantic board.

Spiff, I was assured that you are an OK guy at last Fri's DC happy hour, but the launch of VX is similar to the inception of B6 service 7 years ago. The difference in the product is newsworthy enough, and the posting volume for a carrier with no forum of its own reflects that.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Let's get back to earth here. I just took a look at the VX threads and most of them have 2 or 3 replies. (I think the largest thread I saw had 30.)

Why is this the case? Simply because VX hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have enough experience with it to either offer solid info or to have formed strong opinions.

How is it at giving award tickets? Does anyone know? Has anybody had enough flights on it yet to earn such a ticket?

How is the inflight service? I don't mean based on the two or three flights you might have taken but on enough flights in order to make an informed decision.

Nobody can really tell you yet.

What about lost luggage or problems with the main office? Again, there really is not enough known about these things.

I suspect that VX will have its own forum. It won't happen while I am on TB (my term expires very soon) but there is a good shot of it getting it within a year. That, however, is only a guess on my part and not really an educated one. Once the kinds of issues I mentioned are being discussed on a regular basis on FT, I think TB will be much more apt to vote for the forum.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by chexfan
Why is this inconsistent with the TalkBoard? Other forum suggestions have shown a demonstrated need AND been popular, but haven't been created.

The TB seems to be shifting the target.
Those are not the only criteria.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are not the only criteria.
Don't you think the proponents of the eleVAte program would like to know what the criteria are? That would help them form their case.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:25 pm

It's getting ridiculous as we have to go through LAN and Porter posts in order to discuss VX. I think there's a Skybus thread that's the only other on the front page about a US carrier.
It could be that the LAN folks feel the same way about the VX posts, but they're not complaining.

Not only is VX post activity competitive with AirTran, Frontier, Midwest etc, there are probably a number of people not posting because the forum doesn't exist. Already had one VX thread open up in the Virgin Atlantic board.
I'm happy to entertain motions to roll those into ONSAFFP. We did that with Varig recently; no regrets there.

Spiff, I was assured that you are an OK guy at last Fri's DC happy hour, but the launch of VX is similar to the inception of B6 service 7 years ago. The difference in the product is newsworthy enough, and the posting volume for a carrier with no forum of its own reflects that.
My OK-ness really doesn't hinge on supporting sub-par fora as a TB member does it? That would be disappointing.

I just don't agree that there's sufficient volume or interest in eleVAte yet. Other TB members may feel differently. I'm certainly not convinced to the point where I'd bring a motion to create such a forum. One of the other eight members might, if they thought there was the possibility of success.

In other words, it's not me saying "No eleVAte forum!" because I don't make that call. It's me saying "I won't bring forward a motion to create such a forum at this time, nor will I support such a motion at this time if someone else brings it forward." One of my colleagues has recently weighed in here. I will post a link to this thread in the private forum and perhaps others will weigh in as well. Some have done so less recently - perhaps their views on eleVAte remain the same - I can't say.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by chexfan
Don't you think the proponents of the eleVAte program would like to know what the criteria are? That would help them form their case.
Popular, demonstrated need, make FlerTalk a better place... All rather subjective and no way to guarantee a forum will be created via a "criteria checksheet" - sorry.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I read the comments on here with some bemusement, as I'm still seeking an answer to my earlier question of what precisely is wrong with the ONASAFFP? No-one was able to tell me, yet I'm being assured that it's so bad, that people won't actually post about VX until they get their own forum. I'm not actually convinced that if such people existed, they would be any real gain to the forum. If they are too precious to post on ONASAFFP, then I think that would be their problem, not Talkboard's.

I'm still a no on this idea. That VX has crawled onto a par with airlines like Air Tran doesn't really sell it to me. I consider many of the small US airline boards 'failing'... not much traffic..bumping along a minimum levels. And to me, they just go to prove that we shouldn't be opening new boards, just because the airline is in the US - it's not an automatic given that all US airline boards will do well. I don't hold with the 'build the board and they will come' paradigm either - we were told that for Asiana, and that board isn't doing so well either. Last time I did a check, there were a number of airlines with an interest level similar to Air Tran - Qatar and Jet spring to mind, and yet despite requests, we have not voted on boards for those airlines.

VX is smaller than Eastern Airways, a regional UK carrier. It's a minor player in the aviation world. It's a minor player in terms of number of posts on the board - I do wonder if there are more posts about getting its own board (in various threads on various boards), than there are actual posts about the airline, its FFP and its operations!

I'll keep monitoring. I still think that one day, VX will need a dedicated board. But that day is not yet, and it is still suitably contained by the ONASAFFP board.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
This thread is hardly a metric of a demonstrated need. Most of the posts are "I want an eleVAte forum" and me saying "show me a demonstrated need."
What is this, a government run service? Forums should not be provided by 'need'? If it will be used, then it is worthwhile. Most sites exists to draw traffic to itself and make $$ off ad revenue.

Seriously, what is actually involved in creating a new forum... going into the administration portal and clicking 'new'? If it is any more difficult than that, then it hasn't been developed properly.

The only reason FT haven't created an eleVAte forum already must be fueled by personal opinions and bias towards other airlines. If ppl are asking for it, why wouldn't you create it? I know I'd spend a lot of time hitting the 'refresh' button in that forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.