Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

When asking for input on TB motions/proposals, should there be a sticky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When asking for input on TB motions/proposals, should there be a sticky?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
For those of you who have suggested that I am fronting for someone else in my proposed motion, or part of some cabal, I would like you to read the posts made by ClueByFour here.

They are very typical of the attacks that he has been making on me for years.

He is also the person who began the thread which led to the motion.

Does anybody truly believe I would be willing to front for, or be in a cabal with, him?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have no dog in the fight between you and Club, but I will point out that your post above is not really right. The current motion is *not* what Club advocated. It is much different. I firmly believe if we were to include all non-travel forums in this motion it would not pass because of certain interests.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have no dog in the fight between you and Club, but I will point out that your post above is not really right. The current motion is *not* what Club advocated. It is much different. I firmly believe if we were to include all non-travel forums in this motion it would not pass because of certain interests.
And you saw what I had wanted included -- which was very much along the lines of what ClueByFour suggested. I agree that it would not have passed but I do not attribute it to any "certain interests".
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:12 pm

And you saw what I had wanted included -- which was very much along the lines of what ClueByFour suggested. I agree that it would not have passed but I do not attribute it to any "certain interests".
There is no other explanation, Dov. It's been made very clear in the other thread that people don't like the haphazard nature of how OMNI is chosen and not other threads. What else would explain why folks want OMNI gone but not the other non-mission-critical forums?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:18 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Please tell me who I have censored.
Check your PMs.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What else would explain why folks want OMNI gone but not the other non-mission-critical forums?
Because they believe that Omni is less travel-oriented. There really is no underhanded motivation involved -- and I am saying that as someone who disagrees with them.

If this motion is passed -- and that is still a big "if" -- I believe it will be by the narrowest of margins. A vote with 5 in favor and 4 against means the motion will be defeated.

If you see that there is no chance of getting 6 people to vote in favor of your full preference, but one person might switch over and give you the 6th vote if you accept a compromise, isn't it better to take that compromise?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:21 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
For those of you who have suggested that I am fronting for someone else in my proposed motion, or part of some cabal, I would like you to read the posts made by ClueByFour here.

They are very typical of the attacks that he has been making on me for years.

Does anybody truly believe I would be willing to front for, or be in a cabal with, him?
Somewhere (that other thread, I believe), I said something along the lines of "(full moon) I applaud Dovster for the motion." As has been stated, I would have preferred to go whole hog, but I don't think it would have passed, although we differ in our reasoning why (mine is that I can't see about half the TB voting themselves out of several thousand posts, for starters).

With that said, "attacking you for years?" More of that post-coronation hubris. "There you go again." Don't put words in my mouth--if I really wanted to attack you, I'd have posted something much more specific several posts earlier.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:23 pm

If you see that there is no chance of getting 6 people to vote in favor of your full preference, but one person might switch over and give you the 6th vote if you accept a compromise, isn't it better to take that compromise?
Not if it creates a logical inconsistency, as this will do. @:-)
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Somehow this thread has gotten off topic and contains postings that are argumentative, versus the spirited debate that makes FT enjoyable. I have taken the liberty of reposting Sharon's original premise.

I think it's intermission time for this thread, similar to the short hiatus taken in the big OMNI Post Count thread. I ask future contributors to re-read Sharon's posting, and when the thread is re-opened, offer your comments.

Due to scheduling conflicts, it might be about four hours before the intermission ends. For now, I'm going to get some popcorn.... @:-)

P.S. My apologies to those who are inconvenienced timezone-wise by the break. Please also note this is being done unilaterally. The TalkBoard has not asked me to intervene.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Watching the train wreck that is the 'asking for input on the OMNI post count' thread started me thinking. It's stated that TB is (hopefully) reflecting the wishes of the FT members or thinking of the FT community as a whole when considering & making its decisions.

If that's the case, when asking for input on a proposal (whether OMNI, travel photography, merging the LH forum, fill in the blank), should there be a sticky that appears for a couple of days atop each forum alerting FT members to it & directing them to the Talkboard forum? Doesn't have to be for the entire period discussion is open (although that's an option), but at least a few days.

I know that I for one rarely check Talkboard & only knew about the OMNI post count thread because it was referenced in a dif thread on Community. I would hazard a guess that I'm not the only one who rarely goes to TB.

But if we truly wanted input beyond just a few folk, to me having a sticky alerting FTers to the discussion area makes sense.

Just a thought. Have no idea if a motion needs to be made & seconded or it's something that can just be done, but thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

Cheers.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 9, 2007 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:25 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
OK, anyone have some on topic comments to add....
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In my weekly FT blog entry "Five FT Finds" I mention any new votes and new discussions on this forum, in an attempt to do my bit to better inform all FTers what is currently being discussed on this forum.

Do you think this should be changed to it's own blog entry for greater visibility?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
In my weekly FT blog entry "Five FT Finds" I mention any new votes and new discussions on this forum, in an attempt to do my bit to better inform all FTers what is currently being discussed on this forum.

Do you think this should be changed to it's own blog entry for greater visibility?
You and Canarsie do a great job with the blog. I think the problem is visibility of the blog, not the need to have something Talkboard related in a separate blog. I have FlyerTalk set up as "My FlyerTalk". I'm unaware of a way to subscribe to The Gate. Thus, I have to proactively remember to use a different booklink to access it.

It would be interesting to know the clicks that the blog gets each day, compared to the clicks that FT gets. I suspect it would be disappointingly low, though I hope I am wrong. I think that the blog needs given greater prominence.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have a link to the blog in my signature. Perhaps I should be posting to more fora?

My question wasn't about having a Talkboard blog - I think that would be overkill and not helpful. It was about whether I need to make blog entries that relate to Talkboard more visible, eg by being standalone blog entries.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think that the blog needs given greater prominence.
^ ^ ^

I encourage the TB to think about how to accomplish this. This would be a good problem to solve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.