Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Kill the Goose, Kill the Goose!

Kill the Goose, Kill the Goose!

Old Apr 27, 05, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by travelalot5
Missy - I don't think you'll find any mention by me anywhere in FT about being an airline employee and I think your posting of inaccurate information inappropriate.
I'm not confirming or denying anything, but the moderators have the ability to check the IP addresses of posters. If you're posting from work, and you are an airline employee, it's not real hard to figure out. The logging was made available several years ago to try to control the use of multiple handles.
Old Apr 27, 05, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

It's also interesting how the mileage run forum has had an increase of locked or moved threads when similar threads are allowed to stay open in that forum - nothing to do with the personal opinions of the moderaters I'm sure.
Locked & moved threads are generally done so with some sort of explanation in the Mileage Run forum. Feel free to review the reasons in all locked & moved thread & PM the moderator that closed or moved it should you like to inquire further into reasoning on a particular action.

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Apr 27, 05, 4:01 pm
travelalot5

Originally Posted by missydarlin
so you are saying that you are NOT an airline employee?

And how can the above poster be wrong on "all three counts" ? You just posted that I was right, and you don't agree with FTers "exploiting" fares?
Read it again Missy. I said your post was both inaccuarate and inappropriate. Which it is.

So, all three accounts would be:

1. The previous poster was right (you).
2. I'm just an airline employee.
3. I'm disgruntled with FTers.

What I don't like is the appearance that taking advantage of pricing mistakes by a few vocal members with questionable justifications that it is the right thing to do. I'm voicing my opinion that I believe it is wrong and unethical and members can decide for themselves which is the right thing to do. I think this is reasonable.

Last edited by travelalot5; Apr 27, 05 at 4:09 pm

Old Apr 27, 05, 4:33 pm

Missy - I don't think you'll find any mention by me anywhere in FT about being an airline employee and I think your posting of inaccurate information inappropriate.
I can't see that you explicitly say so. However, you are certainly more pro-airline employees than many FT posters. And you have remarkable knowledge of the way in which AS GAs get feedback. And of the terminology and ins and outs of the GA job. So I'm still prepared to bet you either are, have been, or know an AS GA.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...49#post3656949
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386035
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...51#post3409651
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...99#post3386499

As for the substance of the post - it is the airline's fault for creating systems (elite tiers based on mileage, miles on the cheapest fares, fare systems so complicated that $1.87 base fares can go out without being checked). They reap what they sow. Notice that airlines where elite status is based on flying in premium classes don't get these kind of status frenzies quite so much as the US based carriers. And if no miles (or 25% like on BA) were awarded for cheap fares, then nobody would see the need to do mileage runs. If airlines don't like the behaviors their systems encourage, then let them change the system. I am all in favor of this since I think FF schemes encourage perverse behavior among those who care about them. So yes, I think the goose is good to die. So to some extent, I agree with you, travelalot5.

Oh yeah: do I think it would be a good thing if airlines were able to shut down the $1.87 fares rather than have people buying 50 tickets to ART? Yes, of course I do. But until they do, I don't see anything wrong with exploiting their errors. I bought one myself - but only one (I'm not a mileage runner myself and I certainly have better uses of my time).

Last edited by yellow77; Apr 27, 05 at 4:36 pm
Old Apr 27, 05, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by yellow77
And if no miles (or 25% like on BA) were awarded for cheap fares, then nobody would see the need to do mileage runs. If airlines don't like the behaviors their systems encourage, then let them change the system. I am all in favor of this since I think FF schemes encourage perverse behavior among those who care about them. So yes, I think the goose is good to die. So to some extent, I agree with you, travelalot5.
At this time, I am struggling with the idea of finding another hobby to replace my "perverse behavior". The thought scares me. I guess I just like being perverse. Especially, I ove being perverse in first class?
Old Apr 27, 05, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by IfItAintBoeing
At this time, I am struggling with the idea of finding another hobby to replace my "perverse behavior". The thought scares me. I guess I just like being perverse. Especially, I ove being perverse in first class?
It wasn't meant personally ... but the point of FF programs should be to encourage loyalty from people whose loyalty is valuable at the margin, not to get people to seek out the cheapest possible eight segment trips from AAA to BBB for less than 2c a mile. Your behavior isn't that perverse if you like FC travel and can't otherwise afford it except by doing MRs. But the airlines' system for getting you to do what they want (which surely cannot be to do MRs) - now that is perverse.
Old Apr 27, 05, 9:05 pm
travelalot5

Originally Posted by yellow77
So I'm still prepared to bet you either are, have been, or know an AS GA.
Well, for someone who has accured over 3 million miles in the last 5 years, I know a few agents. For AS they are called CSAs. But this isn't relative to the topic. When personal areas are brought forward, especially those that are not accurate, then wild speculation about being "disgruntled" clouds the real debate. It turns into something much like a George Bush campaign - nothing to do with the facts just rumors and hidden agendas.

Old Apr 28, 05, 7:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I see no value in this discussion continuing.

If you have issues with someone, take it private.

If there is a legitimate request/recommendation to the Talkboard, please feel free to start an appropriate thread.

William