Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Time outs"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2002, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
OMNI:
Oh Rudi, you lucky guy. I watched on TV my dear Kings fall apart at the end. Must have been a great game to attend.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Well we can certainly politely agree to disagree, if necessary--Hunki and I have been practicing that skill for many, many years.

Yes we most definitely do agree that there should be sufficient explanation and detail that all members (including the offending member) know exactly why the conduct is over the line. You may well be right that if that can be done consistently, clearly and thoroughly enough, it may be satisfactory in and of itself without actually naming the offending party.

Personally, I would hope that we would always be shooting for the ideal which IMHO is self-moderation, albeit sometimes encouraged by an outside moderator.

As I recall, the conduct of those persons who posted under those offensive duplicate handles also went on to "post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."
Old Mar 9, 2002, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I find time out less annoying then temporary suspension..

I agree strongly that it's possible and desireable to give enough info on the offense, as Law Lord has so wisely suggested, without posting the names of the posters in question. I love to spend time in idle speculation as many others do I'm sure, but I have not heard any rumors or wonderings of who was suspended and why. Honestly I don't care to know. Not because I don't care about FT, but because information like this doesn't help me enjoy and participate in the board and doesn't further the sense of friendliness and community I find here. If there are actually posters who don't know why they were suspended, and others who know them as Punki has suggested, then perhaps those individuals should contact Randy privately. I certainly don't need to know who. and I think in most cases I could figure it out. If I couldn't and I was curious I imagine I would approach Randy but I don't know what I would say.

Bottom line is that for me, it's not my busines - for the most egregious offenders I can figure it out and for those who may be suspended unfairly, I leave it to them to pursue it. BUT in the interests of those cases where it IS a judgement call, I would support posting the reasons for the suspensions in some detail .

Which isn;t to say I don't feel left out around the speculation and "gossip" sometimes - but I am trying to focus on the positive things about FT and spend my energy supporting those efforts I can.

edited for clarity

[This message has been edited by squeakr (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 9, 2002, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I believe, squeakr, that the confusion arises when some rather mild posts are severely censored, without even providing the poster an opportunity to edit his/her own post, while other totally abusive and flagrant TOS violations are simply ignored and allowed to stand.

This is certainly not in any way shape or form a criticism of the existing moderators. The most terrible examples I have seen were on Forums where no moderator existed.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 9, 2002, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
I believe, squeakr, that the confusion arises when some rather mild posts are severely censored, without even providing the poster an opportunity to edit his/her own post, while other totally abusive and flagrant TOS violations are simply ignored and allowed to stand.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 03-09-2002).]
</font>
agreed - I support encouraging individuals to edit their own mistakes....where would I be without the ability to edit my bad typing .....
Old Mar 9, 2002, 11:16 pm

... I think I just figured out who was handed time-outs. Boy am I slow.....
Old Mar 10, 2002, 7:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well, Doc and NJDavid I can understand. But I can't find any specific place where PG crossed whatever line exists. And frankly that's why I asked the question.

BTW, if you see me stop posting for a week or so, I guess the lesson will be that talking about 'the disappeared' is strictly verboten. Sort of like builing a new Common Law
Old Mar 10, 2002, 7:10 am
pgupta011

I might be kicked out of here - but please no public comments on my timeout. It serves no purpose.

Old Mar 10, 2002, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Oh my.

This is like a course in Kremlinology .
Old Mar 10, 2002, 10:14 am

Hey, pgupta011, long time, no see! Nice to have some of the 1998 members back.

Now if only that nice Matt Wald would show up more often.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 10:32 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Blair: well put.

Shouldn't somebody warn FT that a hacker has broken in and stolen many respected members' passwords?
Old Mar 12, 2002, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arturo:
premexecushun,

arturo ownly kno wat he heer frum hes soarses.

an, as phar as chocklat technicals, wel, arturo leaf thos 'tween yu an senor nutz.</font>
Wow-- premature ejaculation, chocolate nuts, and Arturo's horses. I'm sure there's a good trip report in there somewhere.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 2002, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a joke folks. Jeez.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Have I been suspended...? If so, someone please let me know....
Old Mar 13, 2002, 10:37 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Sheep? Koko ..don't you still have 'Nogales'?

------------------
MRKEY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.