Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread documents the creation of the new Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum from the announcement the vote is open, through the vote and announcement by the Community Director of the new forum's opening. Post-opening discussion is included as well.

The initial forum suggestion thread can be read at Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (link)
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Had a VRBO letter cancel our London flat on 3 days notice last night.

Would love to have this forum up and running to learn about what I can do that <redacted>.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:35 am Reason: Riles, please
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jackal
You'll have to ask the Community Director.

We live in a benevolent dictatorship. The Community Director could have created it of her own volition, but she seems to have, at least up until her decision to dissolve it, preferred to delegate the responsibility of analyzing new forums to the TalkBoard. You'll have to ask her why she chose to do that this time around instead of simply creating it herself.

Aside from some fairly minor forum renaming and reorganization awhile back, as far as I know, the TalkBoard has been the primary party responsible for decisions regarding new forums on FlyerTalk. I don't know what would have given you a different impression, but if I'm the one who is mistaken here, please feel free to clarify and support your statement.

In hindsight, yes--they do seem obvious. It is odd, then, why no one (to my knowledge, at least) suggested it here in TalkBoard Topics. I'm sure that if it had been suggested by you or someone else earlier, the TalkBoard would have gladly considered (and likely supported) it at that time.
"Primary party" in some way does not mean it has been the exclusive party. Some other party/parties have been responsible for some FT forum creation and realignments even without TB voting on some of this stuff. The point is that being critical of TB for a lack of all wanted forums or for all forum realignments on FT misses this element: not all forum creation and forum realignments on FT have been a product of TB votes. Some of the forum creations and realignments have been a product of something beyond just TB votes. And it's sort of been this way regardless of who was at the top of the org charts.

This proposed forum could have been created even without a TB vote. And that's going to be the wave of the future for this place, unless and until TB ends up reincarnated.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
No one has said that TB is the only party that can create a forum, but it HAS been the primary group since 2001. There were a few times that Randy did so & Carol re-aligned a forum or two, but since 2001 TB has been the main party for creating, amending & closing forums. IB has been hands off since the acquisition & basically leaves it up to the CD & TB. I don't understand the splitting hairs at this point & why're even bringing it up, nor do I think most FTers who are interested in this new forum give two patooties.

Cheers.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Talkboard is awaiting the final vote for or against forum creation. Voting is currently at 8-0, so it is obvious that the forum will be created. I've gone ahead and done so.

Non hotel lodging services including Airbnb and VRBO

I welcome member help in creating a strong description for what belongs in that forum. Please use the link above and participate.

Carol
Community Director
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Talkboard is awaiting the final vote for or against forum creation. Voting is currently at 8-0, so it is obvious that the forum will be created. I've gone ahead and done so.

Non hotel lodging services including Airbnb and VRBO

I welcome member help in creating a strong description for what belongs in that forum. Please use the link above and participate.

Carol
Community Director
^

I'd suggest a hyphen between "non" and "hotel," both because it's technically correct and also to better visually tie the words "non" and "hotel" together. Otherwise, the word "hotel" sticks out a bit too much--actually, that's the word that stuck out at me when I first glanced at the name, and I almost missed the word "non" in the title.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It wouldn't be a TalkBoard vote if at least one member (who it is will NOT surprise you) didn't hold out their vote til the very end.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
On November 24, 2016 TalkBoard succeeded to pass with 8-1
"Creation of a Lodging Services Forum"

Voting Yes: jackal, Canarsie, CMK10, jason8612, skiAdcock, nsx, rwoman, dchristiva

Voting No: MSPEconomist

Last edited by CMK10; Nov 25, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Awesome!

Huh. Do we have any indication why?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Voting Yes: jackal, Canarsie, CMK10, jason8612, skiAdcock, nsx, rwoman, dchristiva

Please note that my username is MSPeconomist not MSPEconomist.

Shouldn't this notice also be posted in Town Hall?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:49 pm

Shouldn't you answer jackal's question? I too am interested in why you voted no on a forum that FTers fully supported.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Silver
It seems the no vote arose from feelings the forum hadn't been properly thought through though I'm also curious to hear the dissenting member's rational.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 25, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by tcook052
Wouldn't be the first time.

You had the chance to vote against it but chose not to so obviously felt close enough was good enough.
What would be the point of voting "against", given that it had already passed? We've been over this ground before. My vote really did not matter. And, yeah, I guess given the circumstances, "close enough was good enough". The CD will do a great job squaring the forum up.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm also curious to hear the dissenting member's rational.
As are others. Since TB exists for another 4 days, perhaps MSP could explain to FTers her rationale.

Originally Posted by dchristiva
What would be the point of voting "against", given that it had already passed? We've been over this ground before. My vote really did not matter. And, yeah, I guess given the circumstances, "close enough was good enough". The CD will do a great job squaring the forum up.
While you (and jackal) had some concerns you also thought the forum would benefit FT and saw the support it had by FTers, so you both voted yes. I can respect that because you were thinking of the greater good to FT/FTers.

You're correct that MSP's vote wouldn't matter in terms of changing the outcome given there were 8 yes votes, but I'll be interested to hear her rationale on why she thinks the forum would not be of benefit to FT, especially since she's already posted in the new forum.

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Voting "no" and being in support of such a new forum isn't all that incongruous given the dynamics involved in forum creation and realignments.

What's the point of voting "yes" to this forum creation, when another TB vote -- "yes" or otherwise -- isn't really required to make this new forum happen on FT? Being a rubber stamp isn't all that far from being pointless. Voting "no" also doesn't really change anything.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

And there is the best illustration of how the current TB have managed themselves out if existence.

Bickering until the last day.

Who cares why the dissenting member voted against.

Thank heavens the CD put them out of their misery. Thank you TB and goodbye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.