Last edit by: Moderator2
Print Wikipost

Motion Passed 8-0-1: Amendment to TB Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Of course, in the future carol can start acting on a motion at THIS point in the process rather than waiting until the last TB member votes which, if past is prologue, will be in about 12.5 days.

Although it's procedural in nature I'm pleased this will be my last act as a TB member! ^

Congrats on creating the motion & having it passed. And thank you for your four years of service on TB.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Congrats on creating the motion & having it passed. And thank you for your four years of service on TB.
koko is second only to you, Sharon, in my personal ranking of outstanding TalkBoard members of all time. koko spearheaded and drafted the comprehensive TB Guidelines which helped TalkBoard turn the corner away from grandstanding and toward working as a team. I hope he rejoins TalkBoard soon. We need that level of energy and commitment.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
koko is second only to you, Sharon, in my personal ranking of outstanding TalkBoard members of all time. koko spearheaded and drafted the comprehensive TB Guidelines which helped TalkBoard turn the corner away from grandstanding and toward working as a team. I hope he rejoins TalkBoard soon. We need that level of energy and commitment.
Somehow we need to convey this to the rest of the FT world. Evidently we're giving the impression that we're not working as a team.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Somehow we need to convey this to the rest of the FT world. Evidently we're giving the impression that we're not working as a team.
Look at the evidence. We have considered proposals with reasonable care before calling for a vote on them, and most of the motions have passed easily. We have not had any doomed motions intended only to make a statement. I call that cooperation.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Aw shucks.

And to think that I ran on a bomb-throwing platform.

But look, it's not about me. It's about the posters.

Which is precisely what this motion was all about. ^
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
Look at the evidence. We have considered proposals with reasonable care before calling for a vote on them, and most of the motions have passed easily. We have not had any doomed motions intended only to make a statement. I call that cooperation.
Cooperation isn't quite the word I would've chosen as this TB seemed far more dysfunctional and openly rancorous than any in the past though that's just MHO and YMMV. Hopefully more civility emerges from the current TB elections.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
Hey, you don't have to convince me. But look at many posts from our members. There is the sentiment that TB is not cooperative. tcook052's post above is just one example.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Cooperation isn't quite the word I would've chosen as this TB seemed far more dysfunctional and openly rancorous than any in the past though that's just MHO and YMMV. Hopefully more civility emerges from the current TB elections.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hi all - I did (finally) vote and support what was already going to be implemented. Was delayed by a little 18k mileage run.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:08 am

Hopefully more civility emerges from the current TB elections.
Sadly that doesn't seem to case as more TB dysfunction on display during the election for all to see here.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Disagreement does not equal dysfunction. You seem to desire some sort of utopia that simply does not exist. As I have said, we are big boys and girls and can disagree without falling to pieces over it.

Bruce
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Disagreement does not equal dysfunction. You seem to desire some sort of utopia that simply does not exist.
What existed until this TB was wasn't a utopia but a place where despite disagreements a collegial, civil tone and respect for fellow members was maintained. That decorum is not just expected it's written right into the TB Guidelines as has been in this post. Apparently it's too much to expect TB Guidelines be followed by TB members.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 11, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What existed until this TB was wasn't a utopia but a place where despite disagreements a collegial, civil tone and respect for fellow members was maintained. That decorum is not just expected it's written right into the TB Guidelines as has been in this post. Apparently it's too much to expect TB Guidelines be followed by TB members.
So vote us out. Or you could have taken my suggestion that I've made several times and run yourself.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
So vote us out. Or you could have taken my suggestion that I've made several times and run yourself.
I did several years back when I believed TB was relevant and necessary.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
When one person engages in purposely disruptive and attention-seeking behavior, it's a bit much to ask the rest of us to maintain respect for that person. And, in fact, it became quite clear over the course of this year that many of us had lost respect, and the collegial atmosphere was lost. Nevertheless, we continued to plod along, devising changes to our procedures that would prevent one TalkBoard member from interfering with the good volunteer work that the rest of us wanted to do.

You may believe -- and you are entitled to believe -- that comity and collegiality trump everything else. I do not. I ran for TalkBoard to actually accomplish something occasionally. When one person repeatedly stood in the way of that goal, I reacted. And I was far from alone. Everything that I said and did over the past two years was intended to make FlyerTalk a better place, and I did that, despite various obstacles.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, the TalkBoard guidelines have been updated.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.