Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Add a Minor Amendment process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Add a Minor Amendment process

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You are correct. But then, the "appearance of a kumbaya moment" will not occur.
^
Old May 30, 2015, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You are correct. But then, the "appearance of a kumbaya moment" will not occur.
Ah yes, that's important of course. Let's hope for some revolution come the elections!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
If the intent is to catch small oversights I don't see this as really necessary given the recently adopted waiting period between site-wide announcement and the opening of TB voting on motions may itself prove helpful in catching minor errors that can be corrected before voting begins.
Originally Posted by goalie
I still say no to this as TB should take the time, listen to the comments and get the motion right the first time but if something is missed (other than a simple typo), withdraw the motion or have TB members simply vote no to kill the motion and re-do the motion to get it right
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Agree. The route proposed in the motion is too circuitous. Any motion in its final form should be subjected to a de novo up or down vote.
Agree.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

While it is not an excuse, the motion which contained the typographical error committed by me occurred while I was traveling; and I was simply trying to get the process going.

I am human...
Originally Posted by Markie
Ah yes, that's important of course. Let's hope for some revolution come the elections!
What — are you trying to get rid of me already?

I just got here...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Typos don't need a minor amendment process unless TB has totally jumped the shark. No need to apologize for a typo unless it significantly changes a motion. Just say oops, sorry, fix it, & move on.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Typos don't need a minor amendment process unless TB has totally jumped the shark. No need to apologize for a typo unless it significantly changes a motion. Just say oops, sorry, fix it, & move on.
When arriving at decisions as a moderator, I usually defer to what FlyerTalk members think, as FlyerTalk members are typically quite sharp at deciphering and understanding situations. That has worked remarkably well for me in the past.

I personally see things similarly with decisions to be recommended by members of TalkBoard — especially as our top priority is to represent what FlyerTalk members want...

...so I agree with you — although I do not look like Fonzie on a surfboard in Hawaii...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Canarsie
While it is not an excuse, the motion which contained the typographical error committed by me occurred while I was traveling; and I was simply trying to get the process going.

I am human...What — are you trying to get rid of me already?

I just got here...
Unfortunately we won't agree that you have the power to make minor amendments to motions. It's a fundamental difference we have debated in other threads. Without a specific power for this, the changes are ultra vires in my view.

Feel free to change the Guidelines and the problem goes away!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
...so I agree with you — although I do not look like Fonzie on a surfboard in Hawaii...
Fonzie was on water skis and was in LA. @:-)

I voted for this motion because I'd rather have minor changes done by a set of rules rather than by Presidential fiat.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Fonzie was on water skis and was in LA. @:-)

I voted for this motion because I'd rather have minor changes done by a set of rules rather than by Presidential fiat.
The president of TalkBoard gets his own car?!?

I am going to have to run for office next year...
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Motion will pass

In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jason8612
Motion will pass

In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Not pleased but also definitely not surprised
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:26 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
Not pleased but also definitely not surprised
I'm not either. It seems that there's less listening to what members want and more doing whatever they want.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:39 am

I had not voted yet as I am currently traveling.

Greetings from Bahrain...
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I had not voted yet as I am currently traveling.

Greetings from Bahrain...
Nor have I as I just came off LHR-LAX-LHR (food poisoning) HEL-BKK-CDG-FCO-OSL-LHR last week (a week of work) and LHR-SVG-LHR yesterday.

Wanted to read through things on a regular screen vice just my phone before voting.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rwoman
Nor have I as I just came off LHR-LAX-LHR (food poisoning) HEL-BKK-CDG-FCO-OSL-LHR last week (a week of work) and LHR-SVG-LHR yesterday.

Wanted to read through things on a regular screen vice just my phone before voting.
Having sifted through the thread again, I've voted, "No" even though the motion has passed and I'm in the minority.

We all make mistakes and common sense should persist, but I believe in doing our best collectively to get it right in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.