Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GLBT Board Name?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

GLBT Board Name?

I think that you should consider renaming the GLBT board to GSD (Gender and Sexual Diversities).

1. GLBT is no longer the most common letter order, with LGBT having far exceeded it in daily use, so one cannot argue that GLBT is used because it is the most common term.

2. Rather than update to LGBT, which only reflects the same groups, I propose that it would be better to use the term GSD (Gender and Sexual Diversities) as it also includes: pansexual, pangender, non-binary, two-spirit, agender, asexual, bigender and many more people who are not strictly included in the term LGBT (or GLBT).
Old May 2, 2015, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree that GLBT is problematic, but I think LGBT is a lot better of a title. Your title, while admirable, seems overly confusing. I think the best decision would be to change it to LGBT but update the description to include your suggestions.

Of course that's just my first thought, I am happy to hear other opinions.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:01 pm
Suspended

"Rainbow Forum"
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:37 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Is this really an issue? I get a sense that most people know the purpose of the forum.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by wharvey
Is this really an issue? I get a sense that most people know the purpose of the forum.
Agreed.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Agreed.
+2.
Old May 2, 2015, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Absolutely @:-)
Old May 3, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I think this is a good idea as the term LGBT doesn't include everyone who may face issues whilst travelling because of their gender/sexuality - and the focus of the forum is primarily on places where people will be welcome, or at least safe.

However as GSD isn't a very widely known term, (I'm not familiar with it and I had to look up some of the categories AllieKat posted), I suggest that the forum should be re-titled LGBT/GSD.

That said, I do agree that the purpose of the forum is already clear. There doesn't seem to be any evidence as to whether anyone feels excluded/unwelcome because of the title.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LGBT or GLBT as forum names? Both work. The forum description should be modified to cover some of the gender and sexual diversities, but renaming the forum "GSD" would not be something I support.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:14 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have reached out to the Community Director to see if it is possible to just change the descriptor to add Gender/Sexual Diversity.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I support whatever title and description which the community of FlyerTalk members who frequent that forum believes is best.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I support whatever title and description which the community of FlyerTalk members who frequent that forum believes is best.
I agree but I would add that the title should be recognizable/understandable to most of those who use FT as a whole. We don't abbreviate the names of airline or hotel forums in ways that you must know a lot about that program to know what it's about. For instance one FT forum is entitled Delta SkyMiles rather than just DL or just (yikes) SM.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have reached out to the Community Director to see if it is possible to just change the descriptor to add Gender/Sexual Diversity.
Makes the most sense to me.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I don't frequent that forum, but has the topic been discussed there, or a link posted to the discussion here? Are members of that forum even aware of the discussion here?
Old May 7, 2015, 1:34 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Agreed.
+2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.