Wiki Posts
Search

Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Let's face facts -- there's minimal support for this and no TB members who seem interested in bringing up a motion, so let's end it here.
So Dovster should run for TB again. I'll vote for him.

I bet that the number of smokers on FT is a lot greater than the number that reads TalkBoard Topics.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
So Dovster should run for TB again.
That's certainly an option for him. However, even if he is interested in running for TB again (vs. chasing the UIG, presumably a much better pursuit ) & brings this up for a motion, he will still need to get 5 votes besides his own for the motion to pass. koko is termed out so he/Dov can't do a you vote for my male forum & I'll vote for your smoker forum, which sucks a bit for both of them

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's certainly an option for him. However, even if he is interested in running for TB again (vs. chasing the UIG, presumably a much better pursuit ) & brings this up for a motion, he will still need to get 5 votes besides his own for the motion to pass. koko is termed out so he/Dov can't do a you vote for my male forum & I'll vote for your smoker forum, which sucks a bit for both of them

Cheers.
Sucks worse than a filtered cigarette!

Maybe we could do some inter-term quid pro quo deal, though.

Keep hope alive!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Late to the forum, but I'm trying to "Keep hope alive" for Dov's request.

After spending countless hours (and many cigarettes while searching) trying to find a hotel (preferably a Hilton brand) in London, I was finally able to find several that still have smoking rooms (Park Lane, Tower Bridge) out of the many there. Noted that the Hilton across from LHR's T-4 has now gone NON-smoking as are most others at the airport. Checking other brands for London and Belfast, the lack of choices for us smokers is also very evident. And it's getting worse, as Dov indicates at the outset. Our favorite HGI in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, has recently gone NON, and the Fallsview Hilton in Niagara Falls for a while was showing totally non-smoking on the Hilton website, but now once again has a limited number of smoking rooms available on the 10th and 11th floors of the remodeled South Tower.

While I'd agree that a "Hotels with Smoking Rooms" availability forum would have a limited following on FT, still there may be enough of us puffers left in this world to find it a useful addition for quickly and easily checking for availability in many cities.

So while Dov's suggestion may have been tongue-in-cheek, still.......!

bj-21.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
So while Dov's suggestion may have been tongue-in-cheek, still.......!
It was not tongue-in-cheek at all. I was (and still am) very serious about it.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
And I still support it. But I'm obviously not a TB member.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
While I'd agree that a "Hotels with Smoking Rooms" availability forum would have a limited following on FT, still there may be enough of us puffers left in this world to find it a useful addition for quickly and easily checking for availability in many cities.
Would a General Hotel Discussion forum accommodate this need? How about a thread in Travel Buzz (which is really General Travel Discussion)? Or do you think putting all the smoking discussion in one thread would result in an overloaded, mostly useless megathread?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Would a General Hotel Discussion forum accommodate this need? How about a thread in Travel Buzz (which is really General Travel Discussion)? Or do you think putting all the smoking discussion in one thread would result in an overloaded, mostly useless megathread?
It would, indeed, result in such a megathread. It would be like putting all the GLBT discussions in one large thread on Travel Buzz.

BTW, my suggestion was not only for hotels but also all travel facilities which allow smoking.

For example, as you enter the terminal in TLV (from landside) you will see signs announcing that there is no smoking in the terminal.

As you are advised to arrive at least three hours before your flight for Security, and are not allowed to leave the terminal once you go through Passport Control, three hours without smoking is not a cheerful prospect for someone who is about to board a 12 hour flight to the US.

Wouldn't it be helpful for him to know that there are actually two rooms in the Departures area where smoking is allowed?

Many non-smokers, even Israelis, don't know about these rooms so you may not find this information on the Israel local forum but I suspect that before long it would be posted on a "Smokers' Forum".
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:55 pm

It'd be very useful to know which restaurants, hotels, airports, etc. don't discriminate against smokers.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again - wiki / master thread in travelbuzz ?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
again - wiki / master thread in travelbuzz ?
Consider how long a master thread would have to be to include hotels in Paris, airports in Italy, car rentals in Vegas, trains in Prague, bars in Florida, restaurants in Israel, etc, etc, etc.

Either it would be so long as to be useless or else (as is more likely) people would not bother posting to it because it is simply too general.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Consider how long a master thread would have to be to include hotels in Paris, airports in Italy, car rentals in Vegas, trains in Prague, bars in Florida, restaurants in Israel, etc, etc, etc.

Either it would be so long as to be useless or else (as is more likely) people would not bother posting to it because it is simply too general.
some seem to say wikis are answer to that (im not a big wiki person)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:16 pm
Suspended

I'm a smoker and agree that it is becoming an issue while traveling but instead of a smoking forum I just wish there was a rule discouraging the usual predicable anti snark rants in every thread about the subject.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I'm a smoker and agree that it is becoming an issue while traveling but instead of a smoking forum I just wish there was a rule discouraging the usual predicable anti snark rants in every thread about the subject.
That might be another reason to have a dedicated forum where such a principle would be more easily enforced - similar to the Religious Travelers forum where there is a clear rule that it is not the place to debate religion.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm actually guessing the % of FT'ers who smoke is much lower, given the differing demographics of frequent travelers and smokers.

Let's face facts -- there's minimal support for this and no TB members who seem interested in bringing up a motion, so let's end it here.
Even 1% of FT'ers would be enough for a forum. That's still a lot of people.

I find the arguments for a Smokers Travel Issues or similar forum compelling. I've never smoked, but I have seen many changes to travel over the decades to make travel more difficult for people who smoke. Not to mention the tightening of screws at work and in public spaces. The situation bears a more than superficial resemblance to religious persecution.

I believe that FlyerTalk has an opportunity to provide one safe haven for smokers to commiserate and exchange travel tips. I think it's worth a try. I'm open to suggestions on how to accomplish this, starting with where on FT the discussion belongs. Maybe we could call it the Smokers' Lounge? @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.