Wiki Posts
Search

Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Personally I think it's illogical for the smoker's forum to carry a health warning when FT has an overwhelmingly pro-drinking culture - and a lot of posts in which drinking significant amounts of alcohol is seen as a good thing. I would say that anyone relying on FT for moral guidance is far more likely to be seduced by alcohol than tobacco.

Is any guidance/warnings given in the manufactured spending forum? Warnings about the perils of debt and overspending etc?
Should the Africa Forum carry an Ebola warning?

Should the Delta forum carry a skypesos warning?!

Originally Posted by nsx
How about The Smoking Section?
I like it!!!!!

But millenials may not remember when airplanes and restaurants had smoking sections!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
A whole raft of measures, including punitive taxes (a pack of 25 cigarettes costs more than $20), plain packaging, no advertising, no public display in stores, draconian restrictions of smoking in public areas just to name a few.
Guess what? That would be a perfect post in a Smoker's Forum. There is no way that I want to pay $20 per pack, have to search carefully to find if a store sells cigarettes, and be overly concerned about where I am allowed to smoke in public areas.

It would serve as excellent advice for smokers who are thinking about visiting Down Under to make different travel plans instead.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
Guess what? That would be a perfect post in a Smoker's Forum. There is no way that I want to pay $20 per pack, have to search carefully to find if a store sells cigarettes, and be overly concerned about where I am allowed to smoke in public areas.

It would serve as excellent advice for smokers who are thinking about visiting Down Under to make different travel plans instead.
Why can't that discussion occur in the Australia destination forum?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I was commenting on the fact that the tobacco industry loves a laissez-faire attitude, not to whether it would care for such a forum or not.

I have no interest in what foreign government bodies such as your CDC have to say - they should take a cue from world leaders such as Australia if they want to do something about tobacco.
Several years ago Norway seemed too have strong warnings in large font size on cigarettes compared to the USA. I think I also remember pictures showing the health consequences of smoking. IIRC there seemed to be strong controls about purchase by those under 18, although I didn't have thee impression that fewer people or fewer young people were smokers compared to the USA.

The evidence says to say that increasing taxes on cigarettes (etc.) discourages smoking, but a problem is that this is a very regressive tax.

My opinion is that I'd be against a warning on the forum. If anything is needed, it might be a statement that FT is not a place for children, which I think is the case currently with discussions of drinking as well as some sexual references, certain jokes, etc. We're not currently a G rated place, nor should we attempt to be G rated, although we do compare well to othere places on the internet in not allowing obscenities etc.

However, I don't know whether the CD or especially IB would have a policy on this. In fact, I could even imagine IB stepping in and saying that they don't want such a forum. It might be worth checking on this before moving forward or we could decide to just proceed to recommend what we think is best for FT (not IB) and move forward. IB can react or not as they wish.

My opinion is that I'd like to include the proposed new forum to also include information for nonsmokers. For example, what restaurants and clubs enforce the nonsmoking rules? In places with smoking and nonsmoking sections (such as restaurants in some countries), does smoke permeate the nonsmoking area? What cities allow smoking in outdoor cafes? Can and do people smoke at outdoor concerts and sporting events? In addition to such information making the proposed new forum useful to a larger portion of FT, it would also seem to make the forum more neutral and perhaps less objectionable. Of course, the discussion would need to be respectful and free of antismoking advice. People make their own decisions whether to smoke or not (personal disclosure: I've always been a nonsmoker, don't like smoking, and smoke bothers me) and the forum would be about practical advice about the logistics of smoking while traveling.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx

I am coming around to your point of view on that. CMK10's original clean approach leaves the details in the hands of the moderator(s) and CD, and those hands are very capable.
I LIKE THAT NAME!

I think if TB is proposing a new forum, we should also propose a desscription of what is to be included as part of the motion. We *might* also want to suggest rules for the forum, although I guess the forum's moderators would be free to ignore anything we say. [For example, I wish TB had formulated more explicit rules for the Premium Fare Deals sub forum as the lack of rules has hurt the place. In fact, there's still no uniformity in thread titles there. It's annoying and makes the new sub forum less useful than it could be.]
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I LIKE THAT NAME!

I think if TB is proposing a new forum, we should also propose a desscription of what is to be included as part of the motion. We *might* also want to suggest rules for the forum, although I guess the forum's moderators would be free to ignore anything we say.
On the other hand, we are hardly infallible. In the end it's Carol's call. She's infallible... so far, anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Should the Africa Forum carry an Ebola warning?

Should the Delta forum carry a skypesos warning?!

The BA forum did have a pinned thread titled Am I a Troll? But it seems to have been removed.

I think NSX's suggestion for the forum name is excellent.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nsx
I like that name as well, as there is not much puffery in it — as long as I am not sitting in the last row of the non-smoking section aboard the airplane...
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:10 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
After this I think we should consider adding an OMNI/Puns forum, with Canarsie as its immoderator. @:-)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Is any guidance/warnings given in the manufactured spending forum? Warnings about the perils of debt and overspending etc?
Any CDC warnings on manufactured spending and 480.000 deaths per year? I do think smoking is rather unique in that area in terms of forum topics and particularly the perils that come with teen smoking.

If smoking continues at the current rate among youth in this country, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 will die early from a smoking-related illness. That’s about 1 of every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger alive today.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...a/tobacco_use/
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nsx
Wonderful!
I am coming around to your point of view on that. CMK10's original clean approach leaves the details in the hands of the moderator(s) and CD, and those hands are very capable.
That's the right answer.

Bruce
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by nsx
...and a Toking Section for Colorado travelers!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boboqui
...and a Toking Section for Colorado travelers!
Steve Miller can use that forum regardless of his location
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
Steve Miller can use that forum regardless of his location
This, from a “joker” who uses a line from a Fleetwood Mac song for his signature.

This is nothing more than second-hand news at best, as weed be better off not toking about a special sub-forum which would eventually go to pot anyway...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dear Members,

At this time, TalkBoard members are receiving current feedback to consider prior to voting in the thread: Comments Welcome/Voting Underway: Creation of a Smoking Section.

You may prefer posting your input in that thread, at least until voting has concluded. We've moved the last post to that thread, as it seemed to offer input to TalkBoard members.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.