Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Amend the TalkBoard guidelines for timelag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by jason8612

On January 23, 2015, TalkBoard passed 7-2-0
the following amendments to the TalkBoard Guidelines (new language underlined, struck language to be deleted)
:

C. Voting Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded and all aspects of the Public Notice Procedures in Section D. below have been completed, not sooner than 48 hours later the President shall post a sticky poll thread in the TalkBoard forum calling the question and announcing the vote. The thread shall be titled "Vote: [summary of motion]". In the first post on the sticky poll thread the President shall post the maker and seconder of the motion as well as the voting deadline and then restate the motion that has been made and seconded.

and

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcement of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.

Votes
Yes: dschobel, Canarsie, jason8612, kokonutz, MSPeconomist, nsx, rwoman[/COLOR]
No: CMK10, dchristiva
Abstain: -
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Amend the TalkBoard guidelines for timelag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
It is mandated that there must be a waiting period before voting. I would hope that TB members will use that time to consider both sides of the issue and allow that to influence their decision.

Is there a reason to push voting for something, unless it is to correct a mistake TB has made or to eliminate unintended consequences?
I wouldn't mind the waiting period as much if I hadn't seen what has happened on the majority of the votes I've participated in. They've sat at 8-0 for a week, sometimes more. This one has already passed too. In votes where your vote in no way affects the outcome, is there any need to wait?

Like I said above, we're solving a problem that I think is not likely to ever happen again. If you look at all discussions since the MR Forum, they're proceeding extremely slowly, even this one took several months before a vote started. Why add a mandatory waiting period on top of the natural one?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
I wouldn't mind the waiting period as much if I hadn't seen what has happened on the majority of the votes I've participated in. They've sat at 8-0 for a week, sometimes more. This one has already passed too. In votes where your vote in no way affects the outcome, is there any need to wait?

Like I said above, we're solving a problem that I think is not likely to ever happen again. If you look at all discussions since the MR Forum, they're proceeding extremely slowly, even this one took several months before a vote started. Why add a mandatory waiting period on top of the natural one?
If a vote sits at 8-0, it's already passed. The problem was that votes were passing before some could really share their opinions.

The issue this solves is the rush to vote in less than 24 hours from when a motion is posted. If one wants to rush to vote before considering other sides of an issue, then at least now, they have to wait a bit, and we can hope they might consider the other opinions.

Not everyone reads this forum on a regular basis, so this allows them to have some idea of what is being considering, so they can voice their opinions, before one rushes to vote on it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If a vote sits at 8-0, it's already passed. The problem was that votes were passing before some could really share their opinions.

The issue this solves is the rush to vote in less than 24 hours from when a motion is posted. If one wants to rush to vote before considering other sides of an issue, then at least now, they have to wait a bit, and we can hope they might consider the other opinions.

Not everyone reads this forum on a regular basis, so this allows them to have some idea of what is being considering, so they can voice their opinions, before one rushes to vote on it.
Okay again, as I've repeated for months, there is no rush to vote. It simply does not exist. One vote passed quickly over an issue that had been discussed for months before we voted on it and I've been saying, this is unlikely to ever happen again.

If people don't read this forum on a regular basis, that is somewhat their fault isn't it? If people choose not to participate they can't well be upset about the outcome.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:30 pm

Okay again, as I've repeated for months, there is no rush to vote. It simply does not exist. One vote passed quickly over an issue that had been discussed for months before we voted on it and I've been saying, this is unlikely to ever happen again.

If people don't read this forum on a regular basis, that is somewhat their fault isn't it? If people choose not to participate they can't well be upset about the outcome.
Apparently, at least some are anxious to have votes happen quickly or at least close quickly.

If people don't read the forum on a regular basis, it can be somewhat their fault, but why the reluctance to give people more time to comment?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:24 pm

Apparently, at least some are anxious to have votes happen quickly or at least close quickly.

If people don't read the forum on a regular basis, it can be somewhat their fault, but why the reluctance to give people more time to comment?
I don't think it's being anxious to think that when 8/9 people have voted and the 9th vote cannot change the outcome, the 9th person should vote barring some extenuating circumstances.

As others have said, by the time we're ready to vote, we've waited a long time gathering all manners of information. The 2 days is a needless formality that is unlikely to change anything but add 2 more days until Flyertalkers can experience the change they want.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:33 pm

I don't think it's being anxious to think that when 8/9 people have voted and the 9th vote cannot change the outcome, the 9th person should vote barring some extenuating circumstances.

As others have said, by the time we're ready to vote, we've waited a long time gathering all manners of information. The 2 days is a needless formality that is unlikely to change anything but add 2 more days until Flyertalkers can experience the change they want.
You assume that everything takes a "long time" before making it to the motion stage. In some cases, perhaps it wouldn't.

You are assuming that most FTers want the change, whatever it is. You are assuming that a limited number of posts in the TB are reflective of the majority of FT. One of the reasons I like this new step is because it gives more of an opportunity for those who may not have otherwise been aware of whatever the motion is to comment.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:47 pm

You assume that everything takes a "long time" before making it to the motion stage. In some cases, perhaps it wouldn't.

You are assuming that most FTers want the change, whatever it is. You are assuming that a limited number of posts in the TB are reflective of the majority of FT. One of the reasons I like this new step is because it gives more of an opportunity for those who may not have otherwise been aware of whatever the motion is to comment.
You have one time when someone moved quickly, I have dozens of times when it didn't, and also evidence of our cautious activity since the MR Deal Forum.

We're elected to make the best choices for Flyertalk as a whole and we solicit opinion on every measure. The level of research and work that goes into each vote is staggering. We send PMs to people who are experts on the matter to come comment, we discuss amongst ourselves the issues and in the public forum. There was no rush to vote nor any voting without careful planning and thought. This is a superficial change.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I voted for the amendment for only one reason:

To give motions and votes by members of TalkBoard an improved chance to be publicized — such as in the TalkMail newsletter — in an attempt for more FlyerTalk members to be involved.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie

To give motions and votes by members of TalkBoard an improved chance to be publicized — such as in the TalkMail newsletter — in an attempt for more FlyerTalk members to be involved.
-Bolding mine-

I agree with this. While this amendment is not perfect in some ways, it is an improvement on TB procedures (if not in the past, then for the future), and thus an improvement for this community. A little more time between motions --> announcements --> votes may lead to more involvement/discussion from the community.

Obviously, what TB members do with the added involvement/information is up to them.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH Silver
There was no rush to vote
The outcry against our quick vote is by a vocal minority that is directing their anger at the change to the MR Forum at us because we're a convenient target.
No rush to vote but voting done quickly. The spin that 'snap voting' is an aberration that only happened once is fiction as there were actually three occasions in 2014 out of a grand total of four motions of it occurring and I'm sure it would still be happening had nothing been said in opposition.

The comments also about that 'vocal minority' are frankly disappointing as while I understand they were meant for a private forum they've been posted here and could be taken to mean that that you only want to hear a certain kind of input and don't feel TB should be accountable for decisions it makes. Either you welcome all member input regardless whether it's what you like hearing or you don't.

Originally Posted by Canarsie

Amen!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
No rush to vote but voting done quickly. The spin that 'snap voting' is an aberration that only happened once is fiction as there were actually three occasions in 2014 out of a grand total of four motions of it occurring and I'm sure it would still be happening had nothing been said in opposition.

The comments also about that 'vocal minority' are frankly disappointing as while I understand they were meant for a private forum they've been posted here and could be taken to mean that that you only want to hear a certain kind of input and don't feel TB should be accountable for decisions it makes. Either you welcome all member input regardless whether it's what you like hearing or you don't.
A quick vote and a rush to vote are too separate things. If people vote quickly because they feel they've made up their mind that's one thing. If people vote quickly because they're pressured to do it, that's another. The second is what I consider a rush to vote and it's something that does not exist. It has never existed. It's considered bad form to even PM a member about voting.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A quick vote and a rush to vote are too separate things. If people vote quickly because they feel they've made up their mind that's one thing. If people vote quickly because they're pressured to do it, that's another. The second is what I consider a rush to vote and it's something that does not exist. It has never existed. It's considered bad form to even PM a member about voting.
I disagree strongly. There has been a lot of pressure for everyone to vote quickly on TB for more than a year now and it has been increasing, although perhaps it has fortunately diminished a bit very recently. The pressure has been deliberately created by those (plural but you know who is the main offender) who believe that everyone should follow their modus operandi of voting instantly (apparently just to demonstrate to others that TB can act quickly) rather than waiting for additional input or stopping to think carefully and reconsider whether upon reflection the entire discussion causes one to rethink the position. Unfortunately I cannot provide evidence here beyond a statement of my own perceptions and experience during my time on TB since doing so would require that I quote or otherwise discuss some comments that were posted in the private TB forum and I will not break confidentiality.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree strongly. There has been a lot of pressure for everyone to vote quickly on TB for more than a year now and it has been increasing, although perhaps it has fortunately diminished a bit very recently. The pressure has been deliberately created by those (plural but you know who is the main offender) who believe that everyone should follow their modus operandi of voting instantly (apparently just to demonstrate to others that TB can act quickly) rather than waiting for additional input or stopping to think carefully and reconsider whether upon reflection the entire discussion causes one to rethink the position. Unfortunately I cannot provide evidence here beyond a statement of my own perceptions and experience during my time on TB since doing so would require that I quote or otherwise discuss some comments that were posted in the private TB forum and I will not break confidentiality.
That's utter nonsense, lacking fact and completely detached from reality. There is no pressure to vote except what you and others have imagined. In fact, I give you my permission to repeat anything I said from the private forum if it helps you back this up with actual fact instead of this conjecture.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, there is no correlation between the time spent reflecting on a vote and the quality of that vote. And let's also keep some perspective, we're not electing the Pope here. How much time do you really need to vote on whether we should have a USA Forum? Do you really need to reflect on the entire discussion or await new input? No, you can go with your gut based on your thoughts, your research and what's already been posted about the matter.

Last edited by CMK10; Jan 22, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course there's been a lot of pressure to vote very quickly.

Since we're not electing the pope, does it really matter whether the outcome is determined and announced and/or the vote is finished now or in 48 hours? You alluded to people being deprived of a new forum for an additional two days, but what aree the chances that it makes a big difference to someone whether the new forum is available now or in a few days, especially since the time lag from the vote being decided/finished to the appearance of the new forum is variable and depends on the CD's schedule. As we all know there was a recent case where some people positively wanted to be deprived of the new forum, the longer the better in their opinions I'm sure.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:15 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course there's been a lot of pressure to vote very quickly.
I guess I've been oblivious to this (not 100% unusual for me ) unless it's only been in the private TB forum. I'd be curious to know if other TB members feel the same way? I'd also be interested in knowing where this perceived "pressure" seems to be coming from - FT membership? The CD? Other TB members? Other?

I recall what appeared to be TB member(s) dragging a vote out to the very end of the 2 week window for no apparently "reasonable" purpose, but I don't recall any discussions around discouraging a TB member to take their time voting so long as there is just cause to do so (such as cases where a TB member wants more feedback before voting).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.