Search

Suggestion: a general USA forum in the Destinations section

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 4:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Suggestion: a general USA forum in the Destinations section

I have noticed that there is no general USA forum in the Destinations section and the USA-related forums are divided into states.

However I have noticed that there are quite a few general topics on the USA or those that span multiple US states that don't fit into any of the specific forums.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest creating a general USA forum.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hmm, I've never thought of this, can you give some examples of threads that don't fit into the current regional forums?
Old May 16, 2014, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Aren't the regional U.S. forums able to handle multiple state queries? West, Midwest, South, Mid-Atlantic, etc. all seem to me broad enough to cover locations within those areas that don't have a dedicated forum so not sure we would need to add a generic USA forum. Just MHO.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here's why I think Talkboard should consider a USA forum. We have an Asia forum, a Europe forum, a South America forum, and Africa. But we have no USA forum. I suspect that in the early years FT was dominated by Americans who had a sense of where they wanted to travel. Now we are a 60:40 split between those in the US and those outside. I expect that the more global questions would come from them. "Can I drive from New York to Chicago and what should I see enroute?" "Should I combine Boston, San Francisco, and Orlando?" Mods for international airlines sometimes see a question re travel in the US that doesn't tidily fit into any of the boxes which we've carved out. They would like to move it on, but the lack of a USA forum leaves them wondering where.

For a quick look at the Destination forum, look here.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 16, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old May 16, 2014, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
...Now we are a 60:40 split between those in the US and those outside. I expect that the more global questions would come from them.
Agreed, and there may also be questions which are not destination-specific but cause pre-trip anxiety, including: language, etiquette, emergency medical treatment, money, credit cards, tipping, etc
Old May 16, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Aren't the regional U.S. forums able to handle multiple state queries? West, Midwest, South, Mid-Atlantic, etc. all seem to me broad enough to cover locations within those areas that don't have a dedicated forum so not sure we would need to add a generic USA forum. Just MHO.
I think SanDiego1K's comments below cover it as the way I see it, the "USA" forum would be the catch all for overlaps or "just USA" posts 'n questions and etc (kind like there is a California forum which contains both San Francisco and Los Angeles as sub-forums so using that logic, it would be a USA forum with the current cities & regions as subforums

Here's why I think Talkboard should consider a USA forum. We have an Asia forum, a Europe forum, a South America forum, and Africa. But we have no USA forum. I suspect that in the early years FT was dominated by Americans who had a sense of where they wanted to travel. Now we are a 60:40 split between those in the US and those outside. I expect that the more global questions would come from them. "Can I drive from New York to Chicago and what should I see enroute?" "Should I combine Boston, San Francisco, and Orlando?" Mods for international airlines sometimes see a question re travel in the US that doesn't tidily fit into any of the boxes which we've carved out. They would like to move it on, but the lack of a USA forum leaves them wondering where.

Well said Boss ^
Old May 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hmm, I've never thought of this
I hadn't either, as I assumed the regional areas covered it. Something to consider though.

Your point re: there not being a forum for generic USA questions is a valid one & is certainly something to consider given the current 60:40 ratio. One question that comes to mind is, will it get enough traffic to make it a viable forum? If one is created, then the forum description will need to clarify that it's for general USA questions & potentially a mod assigned to switch threads that are more region specific to the appropriate sub-forums. I'd be supportive of this.

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, and there may also be questions which are not destination-specific but cause pre-trip anxiety, including: language, etiquette, emergency medical treatment, money, credit cards, tipping, etc
Aren't those items currently covered in TravelBuzz?

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 16, 2014 at 3:22 pm Reason: deleted something i posted that wasn't correct...
Old May 16, 2014, 3:11 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
If someone has general questions about driving cross country, from Florida to California, where do they post those questions now? Do they have to try to divide them up by geographic location? What if it's a, "What are not-to-miss stops along the route?" or such, where they aren't really in a hurry to get to California, so they're willing to have shorter days of driving?
Old May 16, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If someone has general questions about driving cross country, from Florida to California, where do they post those questions now? Do they have to try to divide them up by geographic location? What if it's a, "What are not-to-miss stops along the route?" or such, where they aren't really in a hurry to get to California, so they're willing to have shorter days of driving?
How many of those threads are there at present?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One question that comes to mind is, will it get enough traffic to make it a viable forum? If one is created, then the forum description will need to clarify that it's for general USA questions & potentially a mod assigned to switch threads that are more region specific to the appropriate sub-forums. I'd be supportive of this.
As would I as I could see many questions being posted in a generic U.S. forum instead of the more appropriate regional forums that are already in place.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:06 am

As would I as I could see many questions being posted in a generic U.S. forum instead of the more appropriate regional forums that are already in place.
I'm a bit confused. I said I'd be supportive of the general USA forum. You say you would be as well, but then the rest of your sentence implies that you think the regional forums are the appropriate place. Or are you referring to having a mod to move threads to regional if needed?

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Or are you referring to having a mod to move threads to regional if needed?
Yes, I am. As I said earlier I'm not convinced this is needed but if it goes ahead I would like to see threads posted in the general USA forum that could better be housed in the regional subforums moved there.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:40 am

Yes, I am. As I said earlier I'm not convinced this is needed but if it goes ahead I would like to see threads posted in the general USA forum that could better be housed in the regional subforums moved there.
I don't think anyone was really suggesting leaving sub-forum specific threads in the general forum. If created, it would consist of threads that don't quite fit into the regional forums such as kipper's example above.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:51 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
How many of those threads are there at present?
I don't know, and after the past week that I've had, I'm not taking the time to count right now.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I would tend to favor a USA Forum for many of the reasons outlined thus far.

Surprised that this hasn't come up sooner.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think it hasn't come up sooner because the regional threads tend to take in a lot of traffic and then what doesn't go there, ends up in TravelBuzz. Also, outside of New York City, Las Vegas and California, there regional threads don't get much activity. I check South and West fairly regularly and there are sometimes a whole week that passes without a post. Is there really enough traffic for a General USA forum?

I also note that I asked a few posts ago for some examples of threads that should have gone there and no one has posted any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.