Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kokonutz
Ideas for WIKI Tags:

1) Get rid of them.
2) Keep them where they are.
3) Get rid of the "icons" that appear in column 2(lightbulbs, triangles) and replace with the Wiki icon.
4) Put them after the thread title
5) Keep their current location but align all the thread titles vertically (so non-wiki thread titles are tabbed across to match wiki thread titles).
6)
7)
8)
Print Wikipost

New Wiki tags on threads

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
New Wiki tags on threads

What is their purpose? If a person isn't going to look at a wiki at the top of a thread, I doubt this icon is going to make them notice it.

If there has to be a "wiki" icon, can it be something a little less intrusive? I find the icon kind of annoying right now. Maybe a little blue "w" over the existing icon a little further to the left?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:06 pm

I just noticed that this has been added, and I think it's a positive development. Among other things, it means one can see from the forum home page which threads have wikis (as opposed to having to visit each thread individually).

^
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Each member has the ability to minimize Wikis, and this toggle is sticky. If I close the wiki of one thread all the others appear closed until I open one. This means that I may not even realize that I thread I am reading has a Wiki.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by beltway
I just noticed that this has been added, and I think it's a positive development. Among other things, it means one can see from the forum home page which threads have wikis (as opposed to having to visit each thread individually).
I agree ^

Originally Posted by mia
Each member has the ability to minimize Wikis, and this toggle is sticky. If I close the wiki of one thread all the others appear closed until I open one. This means that I may not even realize that I thread I am reading has a Wiki.
And where I prefer to keep my wiki's closed, I like this feature as a reminder
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PainCorp, are you on mobile device?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
PainCorp, are you on mobile device?
Negative. At least not right now, and even when I am, I use the full desktop view.

It just makes it a little more difficult when going down the list and skimming to see what's new. I have to go back and forth because of the title indenting. Talk about #firstworldproblems, eh?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Negative. At least not right now, and even when I am, I use the full desktop view.

It just makes it a little more difficult when going down the list and skimming to see what's new. I have to go back and forth because of the title indenting. Talk about #firstworldproblems, eh?
It definitely makes scanning the topics more difficult. A graphic that bold and distracting should be reserved for something more important than indicating that a thread has a wiki post.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the blue WiKi icon in thread titles. It's much better than the [WIKI] that inconsistently appeared at random places in the thread titles of some fora and seemed to require a mod to change the title after one or more RBP requests if the OP didn't start or indicate a wiki with the thread.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
It definitely makes scanning the topics more difficult. A graphic that bold and distracting should be reserved for something more important than indicating that a thread has a wiki post.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. I don't care if a thread has a wiki or not.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A wish list (and it's a big wish list) for the new wiki tags-it would be nice that if one clicked on the wiki tag, it would take you directly to the specific wiki itself as opposed to going to the thread and then opening the wiki as for me, where it's all wiki's open or all wiki's closed, I prefer to keep the wiki's closed as some are more than a full screen long
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by linsj
I don't care if a thread has a wiki or not.
Do you read the Wikis? Have you edited any Wikis?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you read the Wikis? Have you edited any Wikis?
I think this is more she doesn't care when looking at thread titles, at least that's my position.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 24, 2014 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:51 am

Let me add that while I like the new tags, I could see putting them in a different location.

IMO, the left two columns on a forum home page are full of useless icons with no meaning/importance to me. (Serious question: does anybody pay attention to them? OK, maybe the lock icon, but otherwise?) Alas, I suspect it would take some serious VBB recoding to reallocate that space, and that this wouldn't happen any time soon even if there were consensus on doing so.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Personally, I would get rid of the "icons" that appear in column 2: lightbulbs, triangles and replace with the Wiki icon.... more valuable to me.... I find the current icons in column 2 worthless.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by wharvey
Personally, I would get rid of the "icons" that appear in column 2: lightbulbs, triangles and replace with the Wiki icon.... more valuable to me.... I find the current icons in column 2 worthless.
I think that's a very good suggestion! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.