FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   2013 Talkboard Election results (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1524089-2013-talkboard-election-results.html)

MSPeconomist Nov 23, 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 21837615)
Congrats to (nearly) all.....now let's see some action please!

In my view TB last year spent most of the time asleep last year; with a rush to action just as elections arrived. Perhaps we can have some more proposals throughout the year?

Hmmmm....I thought TB was reasonably active during most of last year. However, I firmly believe that if something isn't broken, we shouldn't try to fix it.

SkiAdcock Nov 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21837702)
What are your areas of concern? I know that you don't want action just for the sake of action.

Bruce

This.

joshwex90 Nov 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Congrats (or condolences) to the new & returning. Glad to see people up there I voted for, but best of luck!

kokonutz Nov 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 21837615)
Congrats to (nearly) all.....now let's see some action please!

In my view TB last year spent most of the time asleep last year; with a rush to action just as elections arrived. Perhaps we can have some more proposals throughout the year?

I agree that things were a bit slow over this past summer.

But I also agree with others that it was a bit of a ain't broke/don't fix it thing.

As others have said, if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

CMK10 Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 21835636)
#2 in votes. That's Awesome.

Yeah I'm so flattered by that. I guess my signature could be #2 on the charts, #1 in your hearts :D

tcook052 Nov 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Congratulations to all elected to TB!

Jenbel Nov 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Congratulations - don't worry you'll come to accept the inertia soon too!

JDiver Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Now that I am back from a nation that specifically does not allow elections ;), and makes Internet and information challenging to access (Cuba), congratulations (ˇfelicidades!) to the newly elected and reelected TalkBoard members.

Markie Nov 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21841719)
I agree that things were a bit slow over this past summer.

But I also agree with others that it was a bit of a ain't broke/don't fix it thing.

As others have said, if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Well you've all promised things in your manifesto's - let's see those being delivered PDQ perhaps?

RSSrsvp Nov 25, 2013 6:25 am

Congratulations to all elected (especially the newbies). I hope that you take positive action on any constructive proposals put forward this year and don't end up deadlocked like the US Congress. :)

bdschobel Nov 25, 2013 7:02 am

Fortunately, Talkboard has no filibuster rule! :)

Bruce

Thunderroad Nov 25, 2013 10:19 am

Congratulations to all!

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21837702)
What are your areas of concern? I know that you don't want action just for the sake of action.

Bruce

I'm quite satisfied with FT overall, but FWIW my votes went to the candidates who emphasized that FT is a community and that they would like to see a reduction in snark (which has been a particular focus of a useful thread and poll at the AA forum, both of which revealing a pretty strong anti-snark consensus). To the extent that the board could nudge things in that direction, that would be great.

bdschobel Nov 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Snarkiness is certainly an important matter, and I addressed it in my response to Question 5 for Talkboard candidates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21735153-post4.html

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Flyertalk is representative of the world at large. Some people are friendly; others are not. Some people welcome newcomers; others don't. Some people tolerate unsophisticated questions from newbies -- and maybe even answer them! Others provide snarky responses. Flyertalk has the same mix of people that you find everywhere, but it's worse here in at least two respects: anonymity and distance. When people don't know who you really are and may be thousands of miles away, then it's easy (or easier) for some people to drop several layers of civilization and behave rudely. That's inherent in internet bulletin boards. We'll never completely eliminate it.

As a moderator for a very long time, I've been dealing with this problem -- and I acknowledge that it is a problem -- in several ways. First of all, I answer lots of dopey questions, either publicly or privately, trying to set a good example myself. Secondly, I ask especially rude people to tone it down. If they don't improve, then I start editing and even deleting their posts. Nobody wants to spend his (or her) time writing a clever insult only to see it disappear minutes later!

But we need to remember that Flyertalk is not utopia. We'll never eliminate all snarkiness, no matter how hard we try. Some antisocial behavior seems to be inherent in human beings as a group, and all Flyertalk participants seem to be human. So we must accept some of this. We can discourage but not eliminate unwelcoming behavior.

Bruce

GRALISTAIR Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 21835400)
Thank you everyone, I'm honored to be elected and honored still to have come in second in the voting. I hope to do you all proud ^

I voted for you, bdschobel and rwoman

CMK10 Nov 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 21853467)
I voted for you, bdschobel and rwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

:D