FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   2013 Talkboard Election results (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1524089-2013-talkboard-election-results.html)

SanDiego1K Nov 22, 2013 9:16 am

2013 Talkboard Election results

Voting for Talkboard concluded last night. Here are the results.

Relected to Talkboard:

goalie
kokonutz

Elected to Talkboard for the first time:

CMK10
bdschobel
rwoman

Filling the 1 year vacancy left by HansGolden:

Marathon Man

First to come onto Talkboard should a vacancy occur within the next 12 months:

Jason8612

We had 738 votes cast this year. Votes for the top vote getters are as follows:

goalie - 358
CMK10 - 322
bdschobel - 319
kokonutz - 311
rwoman - 233
Marathon Man - 223
jason8612 - 210

Votes for the other 9 candidates ran between 24 and 109.

Thanks to everyone who ran. Congratulations to those elected. I appreciate your service this coming term.

SkiAdcock Nov 22, 2013 9:24 am

Congrats to those re-elected & those elected for the first time, & a big thanks to everyone who ran! I look forward to serving with the new (and returning) TB members.

Cheers.

wharvey Nov 22, 2013 10:03 am

Congrats to the victors! I only voted for two people and they both got elected!

So sorry to see the low voter turnout!

Cholula Nov 22, 2013 10:04 am

A sincere thanks to everybody who ran....and voted....in this years election!

I'm looking forward to working with the new electees in 2014.

oliver2002 Nov 22, 2013 10:27 am

Hey cool, I voted for 5 of the top 7 :)

Jinxy Nov 22, 2013 10:42 am

2013 Talkboard Election results

4 out of 5 I voted for were elected. Well done to the new ones! Very pleased for you.
Disappointing voting numbers though....which in hindsight for people that have been around a long time getting people you know or speak to regularly isn't that hard. Hope to see the system overhauled.

kokonutz Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am

My most sincere condolences to all of us who were elected! :eek:

goalie Nov 22, 2013 11:15 am

My thanks to all of those who decided to run ^ and congrats to those elected & re-elected ^ - and in my case, I am again humbled and honored :)

bdschobel Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I appreciate the vote of confidence from everybody who voted for me, and I will strive to work as hard as a member of Talkboard as I have over the past decade or so as a moderator and regular participant in Flyertalk discussions. Flyertalk is a great place already -- maybe the only website I check at least daily, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I hope to make some contribution toward making Flyertalk even better in the future, and I look forward to working with my new Talkboard colleagues.

Bruce

dchristiva Nov 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Congratulations to those who were elected, those who ran, and those who voted. All of these efforts will yield a better FT.

CMK10 Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone, I'm honored to be elected and honored still to have come in second in the voting. I hope to do you all proud ^

MSPeconomist Nov 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Congratulations to those who were elected (or re-elected).

CDKing Nov 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 21835400)
Thank you everyone, I'm honored to be elected and honored still to have come in second in the voting. I hope to do you all proud ^

#2 in votes. That's Awesome.

Markie Nov 23, 2013 2:47 am

Congrats to (nearly) all.....now let's see some action please!

In my view TB last year spent most of the time asleep last year; with a rush to action just as elections arrived. Perhaps we can have some more proposals throughout the year?

bdschobel Nov 23, 2013 3:42 am

What are your areas of concern? I know that you don't want action just for the sake of action.

Bruce

MSPeconomist Nov 23, 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 21837615)

In my view TB last year spent most of the time asleep last year; with a rush to action just as elections arrived. Perhaps we can have some more proposals throughout the year?

Hmmmm....I thought TB was reasonably active during most of last year. However, I firmly believe that if something isn't broken, we shouldn't try to fix it.

SkiAdcock Nov 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21837702)
What are your areas of concern? I know that you don't want action just for the sake of action.

Bruce

This.

joshwex90 Nov 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Congrats (or condolences) to the new & returning. Glad to see people up there I voted for, but best of luck!

kokonutz Nov 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I agree that things were a bit slow over this past summer.

But I also agree with others that it was a bit of a ain't broke/don't fix it thing.

As others have said, if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

CMK10 Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 21835636)
#2 in votes. That's Awesome.

Yeah I'm so flattered by that. I guess my signature could be #2 on the charts, #1 in your hearts :D

tcook052 Nov 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Congratulations to all elected to TB!

Jenbel Nov 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Congratulations - don't worry you'll come to accept the inertia soon too!

JDiver Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Now that I am back from a nation that specifically does not allow elections ;), and makes Internet and information challenging to access (Cuba), congratulations (ˇfelicidades!) to the newly elected and reelected TalkBoard members.

Markie Nov 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21841719)
I agree that things were a bit slow over this past summer.

But I also agree with others that it was a bit of a ain't broke/don't fix it thing.

As others have said, if you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Well you've all promised things in your manifesto's - let's see those being delivered PDQ perhaps?

RSSrsvp Nov 25, 2013 6:25 am

Congratulations to all elected (especially the newbies). I hope that you take positive action on any constructive proposals put forward this year and don't end up deadlocked like the US Congress. :)

bdschobel Nov 25, 2013 7:02 am

Fortunately, Talkboard has no filibuster rule! :)

Bruce

Thunderroad Nov 25, 2013 10:19 am

Congratulations to all!

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21837702)

Bruce

I'm quite satisfied with FT overall, but FWIW my votes went to the candidates who emphasized that FT is a community and that they would like to see a reduction in snark (which has been a particular focus of a useful thread and poll at the AA forum, both of which revealing a pretty strong anti-snark consensus). To the extent that the board could nudge things in that direction, that would be great.

bdschobel Nov 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Snarkiness is certainly an important matter, and I addressed it in my response to Question 5 for Talkboard candidates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21735153-post4.html

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Flyertalk is representative of the world at large. Some people are friendly; others are not. Some people welcome newcomers; others don't. Some people tolerate unsophisticated questions from newbies -- and maybe even answer them! Others provide snarky responses. Flyertalk has the same mix of people that you find everywhere, but it's worse here in at least two respects: anonymity and distance. When people don't know who you really are and may be thousands of miles away, then it's easy (or easier) for some people to drop several layers of civilization and behave rudely. That's inherent in internet bulletin boards. We'll never completely eliminate it.

As a moderator for a very long time, I've been dealing with this problem -- and I acknowledge that it is a problem -- in several ways. First of all, I answer lots of dopey questions, either publicly or privately, trying to set a good example myself. Secondly, I ask especially rude people to tone it down. If they don't improve, then I start editing and even deleting their posts. Nobody wants to spend his (or her) time writing a clever insult only to see it disappear minutes later!

But we need to remember that Flyertalk is not utopia. We'll never eliminate all snarkiness, no matter how hard we try. Some antisocial behavior seems to be inherent in human beings as a group, and all Flyertalk participants seem to be human. So we must accept some of this. We can discourage but not eliminate unwelcoming behavior.

Bruce

GRALISTAIR Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 21835400)

I voted for you, bdschobel and rwoman

CMK10 Nov 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 21853467)
I voted for you, bdschobel and rwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

:D

GRALISTAIR Nov 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 21853997)

I love it!! ^:D

StartinSanDiego Nov 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Great! Congrats to all new members and a big "thank you" to those who are departing.

skchin Nov 28, 2013 10:45 am

There should be an independent commitee formed to investigate possible election fraud. :D

cactuspete Dec 6, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 21833454)
So sorry to see the low voter turnout!

Not at all surprising, however.

ysolde Dec 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Congratulations to all who were elected/re-elected!

Wishing you all the best as you take on this task.

ozstamps Jun 2, 2014 10:45 pm

Markie Forget about them being asleep LAST year - I only noticed today that Talkboard has not voted on a single motion for SIX MONTHS, and that is a sad indictment in my view too.

I made the proposed motion today, that I hope gets nominated and seconded and voted on -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22968643-post328.html

Whether it succeeds, is up to all the members of Talkboard, and I do not mind either way on the outcome, but for goodness sakes lets see SOME action in there, or frankly we really do not need a Talkboard. Carol can make the few routine calls a year that TB are now doing.

Lets see if some of the new members - who have not had a chance to vote on a SINGLE things for 6 months, can get a little pro-active here, and get something on the table for a vote.

All of them can nominate and second any motion.

I served a few years there, and recall it used to take up a lot of time of all elected members, but things did get done, and at least we voted on several motions a month.

Glen

CMK10 Jun 2, 2014 10:53 pm

oz, you've made your point. As I already mentioned, I have directed the other members to look at your posts in the other thread and TCook's post and have promised action and to think about what you've said. I don't think there was any need to drag up a 6 month old thread to say what you've already been saying and to remind us how we can do our jobs.

ozstamps Jun 2, 2014 11:43 pm

CMK10 - actually you will find I was typing as you made your post. My apologies for not reading your mind. :cool:

Anyway I was simply following up Markie's comment, that little seemed to have occurred last year, with the reality observation that NOTHING has occurred in the past 6 months. Not a single motion voted on by TB.

You were only voted on at Xmas, so presumably have participated in voting on no motions at all in your tenure?

Markie was on the elected TB too in the past as I recall, and this is simply a few older hands passing valid comment onto the new inductees. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

"Total inaction is superb and safe policy" may well be the current TB motto, I do not know - but as a Flyertalk member I can express my comments on that apparent policy if I wish, in this "TalkBoard Topics" Forum.

This is the only thread I could see re the NEW Talkboard members so it indeed seemed MOST relevant to make the comments here, to update things.

Propose my motion why don't you - I am sure there will be a seconder, and vote against it (as you are free to do) as this huge 25 pixel icon --> http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon...Star_25x25.gif <-- will chew up too much of your data bandwidth each month you assure us, but at least we will SEE a vote of some kind in 2014!

Glen

Dovster Jun 3, 2014 12:39 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 22968899)
but at least we will SEE a vote of some kind in 2014!

Glen

I am certain there will be a vote. There has been a suggestion for TalkBoard to recommend that the Community Director establish a USA Forum. The Community Director posted in that thread that she thinks it would be a good idea.

Based on the history of Randy having asked a previous TalkBoard to recommend to him to establish three forums, which it immediately did (despite having voted earlier not to establish at least one of those forums), I feel confident that TalkBoard will vote to recommend to the Community Director that she establish the forum which she has urged it to recommend to her to establish.

(Of course, as with all such votes, it will merely be a recommendation by TalkBoard and the Community Director would be free to reject it and to refuse to establish the forum which she has said that she would like TalkBoard to recommend to her that she establish.)

joshwex90 Jun 3, 2014 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 22969017)
I am certain there will be a vote. There has been a suggestion for TalkBoard to recommend that the Community Director establish a USA Forum. The Community Director posted in that thread that she thinks it would be a good idea.

Based on the history of Randy having asked a previous TalkBoard to recommend to him to establish three forums, which it immediately did (despite having voted earlier not to establish at least one of those forums), I feel confident that TalkBoard will vote to recommend to the Community Director that she establish the forum which she has urged it to recommend to her to establish.

(Of course, as with all such votes, it will merely be a recommendation by TalkBoard and the Community Director would be free to reject it and to refuse to establish the forum which she has said that she would like TalkBoard to recommend to her that she establish.)

A USA forum? As in a destination forum for the entire United States?