Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

On October 7, 2013, Talkboard passed 6-3:

"The Talkboard recommends the creation of Four Budget Airlines forums"

Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines
Budget European Airlines
Budget Middle East and Africa Airlines
Budget North and South America Airlines

Voting Yes: Cholula, HansGolden, MSPeconomist, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting No: goalie, jackal, kokonutz
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
No sand is shifting, we are trying to establish the ground rules right now of what should go where.
just who is 'we'? I understood the forum has an elected Talkboard who are empowered to make these decisions. They decided to have 4 LCC forums, not 4 LCC forums with some LCC's in and some LCC's out.

Majority ownership is a very good indication but not the only one. In the case of Jetstar Asia, even so ownership is only 49% Qantas Group it behaves like a Qantas Group airline. Lounge access, Frequent Flyer Program etc. Jetstar Pacific on the other hand doesn't participate in any of this.
under that criteria, Fiji Airlines should also be part of the QF page...not just the occasional discussion about F lounge access.

Someone needs to tell the couple of posters in the Budget forum their Jetstar posts are in the wrong place - lest this become confusing for the unaware...

Last edited by VH-RMD; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Speaking as one of the moderators affected with the task of housecleaning and moving, it's not entirely easy to back into the subject after TB made a decision to establish the four fora, as we don't have a clear definition of a LCC; some issues for further discussion might include:

● Does it have a FFP? (Some definite Budget airlines / LCCs do, some share and some do not.)

● What if the LCC also shares a FFP with a legacy airline?

● Is it really cheaper? (Some may not be, or may vary.)

● Is it legitimately stand-alone if it has ownership - or significant investment - by a legacy airline (SQ now has three LCCs, iirc, yet they are distinctly LCCs).

(I do not agree partial or even majority ownership should be a sole, or sometimes even a primary, criterion to determine forum location - there are other criteria that I think have bearing on this issue such as shared FFP etc., but that's just my opinion.)

E.G. Fiji Airways (Air Pacific Ltd. dba Fiji Airways), BTW, neither seems a LCC nor does it seem to be appropriate in the Qantas Frequent Flyer Forum. "Fiji Airways is owned by the Fijian government (51%), the Australian flag-carrier Qantas (46.32%), and Air New Zealand and the governments of Kiribati, Tonga, Nauru and Samoa each hold minor stakes." It should remain, IMO, in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs, where it exists now. I suspect that pretty much reflects VH-RMD's thoughts.

Etc.

TalkBoard direction, or deferring to someone who is more of an expert on LCCs, would be helpful. In the end, we'll get it done and most will be pleased, I suspect. In the meantime, we can work on the more obvious ones - Interjet, Azul, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 17, 2013 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 17, 2013, 5:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Based on feedback from a member, the North and South American budget forum description is now:

Air Transat, Allegiant, Amaszonas, Interjet, Peruvian, Spirit, StarPeru, Sunwing, VivaAerobus, Viva Colombia, Volaris

Edited out were Gol, Tam, Avianca and Azul "....more important, no Brazilian flyer think of these airlines as budget airlines."
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Asian "JetLite" is part of India's Jet Airways; at most (or is it all?) airports in India JetLite passengers check-in with Jet Airways.

JetLite is Jet Airways' post-merger name for what used used to Air Sahara, a carrier that was a partner airline of American Airlines and the AA FFP.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-55470277.html

Are JetLite-related threads/posts in the Airlines of India forum to remain there, or will they get moved to one of these new budget forums?

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 18, 2013 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...l#post21627415

Well look at that... it seems Jetstar is a budget airline in that section, unless 'we' decide it is not....
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
FWIW...

CRP also tried to make the case the line is blurring between ULCC/LCC/Majors/Globals/Flag carriers whether by routes, service, ownership, or frequent flyer program. The single best way to define an LCC is their cost/distance on a base fare and the cost to buy that ticket and fly the route for a passenger. Whether Jetstar or Germanwings or any other similarly "owned" airline, a separate booking engine with clearly definable schedules and routes should be a key criteria for inclusion. I am of the opinion that a shared FFP, ownership of any part, or any other element commonly associated with the Big(ger) players, are simply irrelevant considerations for categorization. If an LCC (by definition or by cost relative to other airlines in the same market [on a consistent basis]) offers FFP, lounge access, business class or the like, then those ancillary benefits actually should DECREASE the cost of using them when fares remain low/lowest/even with next cheapest alternative. You can fly r/t on Norweigian from Oslo to Dublin on 863NOK, or 780NOK on Ryanair. Factor in the incidentals and it's a push. Same goes for Jetstar or Germanwings--they still may compete on their own independent of their parent/owner while still accruing benefits to flyers. Let the fares decide, not ownership or benefits beyond a ticket...

PS: I do think there is a valid point for calling the best alternative in a given market pair a budget option when the schedule is not one-off, and fares are consistent to an LCC, even if operated by a legacy. That doesn't make the legacy an LCC nor does it mean the LCC is not a budget option. As is increasingly apparent, semantics in defining an LCC are the devil's details here...

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Oct 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
F

I'll admit to being late to this discussion. And to having a biased opinion on the various Jetstar entities.

Unless and until QF will seamlessly check through luggage and check in and provide boarding passes for transit passengers on a Jetstar subsidiary, the Jetstar entity belongs in the LCC forum. And in the reverse direction with respect to connecting to QF flights.

The same would apply to LH and GermanWings, about which I am totally uninformed.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:05 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
Let the fares decide, not ownership or benefits beyond a ticket....
That can be a difficult thing to do. We might have to move WN to the LCC forum. Maybe even EK.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The cleaner break would have been airlines with -- or affiliated with airlines with -- FFPs and airlines without.

Fares don't necessarily do a good job in designating which carriers in the world are LCCs and which are not.

It's interesting how TB seems to have sort of dived into creating new forums without first figuring out the basics of definitions to create clear divisions between existing and previous forums. I doubt that this will be the last time that a lack of understanding of definitions ends up causing confusion .... rather unnecessarily IMO.

I wish these forums all the success in the world, but it would be helpful to get them started on the right foot before creating new forums.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...We might have to move WN to the LCC forum.
It's been a long time since WN was an LCC, although their marketing brilliance has made lots of people think they are.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The cleaner break would have been airlines with -- or affiliated with airlines with -- FFPs and airlines without.
And the cleanest would simply be to use geography.

It's interesting how TB seems to have sort of dived into creating new forums without first figuring out the basics of definitions to create clear divisions between existing and previous forums.
Sadly true.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I would like to see TB revisit the creation of these forums as one in particular, Budget Middle East and African Airlines has been very lightly trafficked with barely a dozen threads since this motion was adopted 14 months ago.

Given the forum hasn't found an audience would propose it be merged with the more heavily used Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines and renamed the Budget and Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines so as to reduce the overall number of forums by one making navigation a fraction easier for all members.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
I would like to see TB revisit the creation of these forums as one in particular, Budget Middle East and African Airlines has been very lightly trafficked with barely a dozen threads since this motion was adopted 14 months ago.

Given the forum hasn't found an audience would propose it be merged with the more heavily used Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines and renamed the Budget and Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines so as to reduce the overall number of forums by one making navigation a fraction easier for all members.
I think that's a good idea. Honestly, even the budget North American airlines could probably be folded into the Other North American Airlines forum without much of a ripple.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
When is the Talk Board due to run its annual review of underutilized forums? Could there be some others needing attention?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Annual February Review

Originally Posted by tom911
When is the Talk Board due to run its annual review of underutilized forums?
It's coming up next month:
9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.
(Bolding mine)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom911
When is the Talk Board due to run its annual review of underutilized forums? Could there be some others needing attention?
I ran the metrics in November and posted them in this forum.

Originally Posted by tcook052

The original reasoning was to arrange the content logically, so that posters and readers would more readily locate the correct forum for their topic. The purest case of this reasoning is the Antarctica forum.

That said, I'm open to the idea of changing the arrangement. Creating the forums for the purpose of geographic consistency was a close call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.