FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Proposal - Complete consolidation of games threads into OMNI/Games (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1415449-proposal-complete-consolidation-games-threads-into-omni-games.html)

AeroWesty Dec 8, 2012 7:46 pm

Proposal - Complete consolidation of games threads into OMNI/Games

In accordance with the TalkBoard resolution passed on January 19, 2012, which created the OMNI/Games forum, I propose that the Old Timer's U.S. Airline and Airliner Quiz thread be moved to OMNI/Games from the TravelBuzz! forum, as it fits the description of a games thread as set forth in the resolution.

The Airport Codes game residing in OMNI/Games should be enough of a precedent to recognize which forum where the "Old Timer's U.S. Airline and Airliner Quiz" thread belongs.

Thank you for your consideration.

kipper Dec 8, 2012 8:28 pm

My guess is that this would fall under a moderation issue, not a TalkBoard issue.

AeroWesty Dec 8, 2012 8:54 pm

That very may well be. I don't frequent every forum, so I don't know how many others still have games residing in them.

RichMSN Dec 8, 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19821418)
That very may well be. I don't frequent every forum, so I don't know how many others still have games residing in them.

To me, this isn't the kind of thread we had in mind when creating the Games forum.

AeroWesty Dec 8, 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 19821666)
To me, this isn't the kind of thread we had in mind when creating the Games forum.

Okay, here are a couple of the parts of the motion:

"4. FT-specific but not forum-specific contests and giveaways where posting in the thread gives you a chance to win, even if you only win bragging rights
5. Any thread that has in the moderators' judgment has become a game."

Perhaps someone could explain the difference between the two threads I mentioned. Why is one an OMNI/Games thread and the other a TravelBuzz! thread? Are they both not games? All one wins in either are bragging rights.

hhoope01 Dec 9, 2012 6:06 am

As mentioned, this is really a moderator issue. I would suggest either PMing one of the TravelBuzz! moderators or from within the thread in question click the "Alert a moderator for this Post" icon in the bottom left of the first post. Then you can make your case to them about whether it should be moved or not.

The TB may have recommended the creation of the "Games" sub-forum, but I do believe the moderators were the ones who then got the work of figuring out which threads to move in there. And I'm sure they appreciate any suggestions (through the communication mechanisms mentioned above) on questionable threads.

MSPeconomist Dec 9, 2012 6:20 am

I asked recently and was told that when a new forum is created, the Community Director initially decides which threads to move into it. After that, moderators decide whether to move a thread.

AeroWesty Dec 9, 2012 7:23 am

All good suggestions, thanks. The motion passed contains somewhat of a gray area to it in describing games.

Both threads I mentioned are somewhat related to travel. But neither are really a forum-specific contest or giveaway, both are simply games. Does that make the OMNI/Games mod staff the ones to make a case with or are the TravelBuzz! mod staff more appropriate? Or both?

What was the intent of the TalkBoard when passing the games motion if it wasn't to address games/quizzes such as these?

I don't mean to be necessarily obtuse, it does seem though as there's certainly some room for a bit of clarity here.

lin821 Dec 9, 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19823041)
Both threads I mentioned are somewhat related to travel. But neither are really a forum-specific contest or giveaway, both are simply games. Does that make the OMNI/Games mod staff the ones to make a case with or are the TravelBuzz! mod staff more appropriate? Or both?

Once a thread is started, it's up to the forum mods whether it gets moved or not. Like others had mentioned, TB has no purview over moderation.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19823041)
What was the intent of the TalkBoard when passing the games motion if it wasn't to address games/quizzes such as these?

You obviously missed the whole debate and discussion w/r/t Games Forum since I didn't see you post in any of the Games related TB threads. FWIW, Games Forum was created so OMNI and PR posts can be counted:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 17890387)
As for counting the posts, I've already explained that I was personally for counting everything. But motions on FT require 6 affirmative votes and I had serious doubts that counting OMNI and OMNI/PR posts would get the 6 votes without the compromise that I suggested. I'd rather get most of what I wanted rather than walking away with nothing.

And I do think that the compromise position represents something that is more acceptable to more people, both on and off the TB, so to me it's not a bad thing.

You can read the whole discussion thread here.

AeroWesty Dec 9, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 19823305)
Once a thread is started, it's up to the forum mods whether it gets moved or not. Like others had mentioned, TB has no purview over moderation.

I do understand this better now from the input of yourself and others, but that doesn't address which set of moderators I should address this with.

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 19823305)
You can read the whole discussion thread here.

Ah, thanks! I did a search on 'games', but didn't see that in the results. I'll take a look to see if that helps clear up the intent questions I've had.

lin821 Dec 9, 2012 9:03 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19823356)
I do understand this better now from the input of yourself and others, but that doesn't address which set of moderators I should address this with.

You should contact the mods who attend to whichever forum you see a "problem" thread. For example, the thread you referenced in your OP is in TravelBuzz! Forum. So you would raise your questions or concerns with TravelBuzz! MODs.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19823356)
Ah, thanks! I did a search on 'games', but didn't see that in the results. I'll take a look to see if that helps clear up the intent questions I've had.

You are welcome! You probably should read the other two threads about Games Forum as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...mes-forum.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-category.html

AeroWesty Dec 9, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for your follow-up post. I'll definitely read the other two threads.

With no disrespect intended to either you or the other poster who recommended contacting the TravelBuzz! mods in regards to this, for reasons I'll keep to myself, I would like more of an official answer of whom to initiate contact with to avoid the possibility of entering into an FT version of phone tree tag.

RichMSN Dec 9, 2012 10:21 am

When you see me, a TB member, participate less in this forum this coming year, please ask the moderator of this forum why I've chosen to do so.

----------------------

One cannot view this thread and form an opinion without looking at the referenced thread and wondering why this has, all-of-a-sudden, become a big deal. Go look for yourselves:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19822373-post2064.html

This thread has existed without one iota of tension for over 2000 posts. Yesterday that changed. And also yesterday there is a request, from the same person, to move the thread.

This is a non-issue. The question was asked (who do I contact) and answered (the moderator of the forum containing the thread).

AeroWesty Dec 9, 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 19823788)
One cannot view this thread and form an opinion without looking at the referenced thread and wondering why this has, all-of-a-sudden, become a big deal. Go look for yourselves:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19822373-post2064.html

This thread has existed without one iota of tension for over 2000 posts. Yesterday that changed.

As I've answered previously, one event has nothing to do with the other. If you'd like to do proper fact-finding rather than make false assumptions, please ask the questions that can lead you to the correct answers rather than merely pointing fingers. Thanks.

lin821 Dec 9, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 19823564)
With no disrespect intended to either you or the other poster who recommended contacting the TravelBuzz! mods in regards to this, for reasons I'll keep to myself, I would like more of an official answer of whom to initiate contact with to avoid the possibility of entering into an FT version of phone tree tag.

I would think TOS and FAQs are official enough as to how and why to contact MODs:

FlyerTalk Rules: How to Report Bad Posts

What are moderators?

If your intent is to "explore" deeper into the moderation issues, I guess you'll have to contact our Community Director via PMs or email:

Discussing Specific Moderator Actions - link to this guideline
On-board discussion of moderator decisions - including post deletions and member discipline - is not allowed and will be removed.
Also from the forum sticky:

Do Not Post Opinions of Moderation, Moderators or Their Actions Here:

This is the TalkBoard Forum.

It is not the Moderator Forum.

If you have complaints/questions/compliments/etc about moderator actions or policies, or moderation in general, then address them to Carol ("SanDiego1K"), the Flyertalk Community Director.