The BBC's quiz on the early days of commercial jet aviation inspired me to finally take a stab at posting this quiz I put together for an airline collectibles convention a few years ago. While I know the answers to all of these questions off the top of my head, a lifetime of collecting postcards, brochures and advertisements makes the answer to all these questions common knowledge to me and others of my ilk.
Truth be known, unless you're at least 40 or 50 years old, you may not know the answers to these questions, much less even care. Still, what the heck, I'll post the questions and they can either be ignored or be something for some of you to have a bit of fun with.
As to the answers, how about I post them here in one week
? If any of you want to play along, consider compiling your answers off this thread
, using it only for commentary or for more questions until I post the answers.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. What airline launched 707 service within the U.S.?
2. What airline flew The Great Silver Fleet?
3. Name six US airlines that flew the Boeing 720
4. Which airline was the launch customer for the 727?
5. What year did the 747 enter service?
6. Everyone knows AA, NW, PA, UA & TW flew the 747. Name five other non-cargo US airlines that also did
7. What airline’s ads proclaimed it to be “The Only Way To Fly”?
8. Name three US airlines that flew the 737-100
9. What three airlines merged to form Republic Airlines in 1979?
10. What airline’s 727s and DC-9s were known as “Yellowbirds”?
11. What airline’s airport lounges were known as Ionosphere Clubs?
12. What was the only US airline to offer scheduled air service with the French built Caravelle?
13. What airline offered Ambassador Service on its long distance flights in First Class?
14. What airline’s jets were called “Pacemakers”?
15. Name three US airlines that flew the British built BAC-111?
16. Name four more US airlines that flew the BAC-111
17. What airline offered “Royal Hawaiian Service” on its Hawaii flights?
18. What airline offered piano lounges on its 747s?
19. What year did the 767 enter service? Who was the launch customer?
20. Name six U.S. airlines that flew the Lockheed Electra
21. What airline was the launch customer for the Boeing 727-200?
22. Name five US airlines that flew the Lockheed L-1011
23. What airline’s premium service was known as “Regal Imperial Service”?
24. Name two U.S. airlines that operated the DC-10, 747 and L-1011 and A310
25. What airline currently operates the world’s largest fleet of MD-80s?
26. Name 5 U.S. airlines that flew the Airbus A300
27. What airline’s 727s and DC-9s were known as “Whisperjets”?
28. Name three US airlines that flew the Convair 990
29. What North American airline operated the Comet
30. What airline's jets were once known as Astrojets?
31. What three airlines merged in 1968 to form Air West?
32. Name seven U.S. airlines that flew the standard DC-8 (Series 10-50)
33. Name three U.S. airlines that flew the DC-8-62
34. What airline was famous for “Islander Punch” served from the trolley in a steaming volcano?
35. What major U.S. airline has not changed its livery since 1970?
36. Which airlines’ DC-9s were known as “Pamper Jets”?
37. What type of jet did Bonanza Airlines fly?
38. Which Hawaiian based airline operated the Fokker F-28 jet?
39. Name four airlines named for U.S. cities that operate or operated jet aircraft
40. Name five airlines named for U.S. states that operate or operated jet aircraft
41. What airline flew from LAX and LAS to JFK with luxurious, all First Class DC-8-62s
42. Name four U.S. airlines that offered scheduled service with Convair 880s
43. Name four airlines that flew Boeing 720s between the Continental US and Alaska
44. What airline operated coach lounges called “Polynesian Pubs” aboard its DC-10s?
45. What airline’s 707s were known as “El Dorado Jets”?
46. What airline’s employees bought their airline a new 767-200?
47. What airline’s DC-10s were called “Spaceships”?
48. Name five major US airlines that operated the DC-9-10
49. Name ten regional airlines that operated the DC-9-10
50. Which US airline operated the DC-10-40?
51. What airline flew DC-9s into Page, Arizona?
52. What airline flew 737s into Sheridan, Wyoming?
53. What airline flew 707s into Billings, Montana?
54. What airline flew DC-9s into Waterloo, Iowa?
55. What airline flew Convair 580s into Durango, Colorado?
56. What airline flew 720Bs into Sioux Falls, SD?
57. What airline flew BAC-111s into White Plains, New York in 1970?
58. What airline flew Convair 880s between Denver and New York?
59. What airline flew DC-8-62s nonstop between New York and Honolulu?
60. What airline offered its First Class customers “Gold Coast Service” on West Coast routes?
61. What airline opened the industry’s first VIP lounge at LaGuardia in 1939?
62. The Sun King logo is associated with what airline?
63. Aside from 737s, what other type of aircraft did Southwest once operate?
64. What was the name of the mallard duck on the tail of North Central Airlines aircraft
65. What two U.S. airlines operated both the Convair 880 and 990?
66. What U.S. airline operated "Executive Special" flights for men only between Chicago and New York?
67. What U.S. airline operated a fleet of L-1011s with a downstairs lounge?
68. What U.S. airline named its jets after Clippers (as in Clipper Mayflower
69. What U.S. airline inaugurated Concorde flights within the U.S. on January 12, 1979?
70. What three U.S. airlines operated L-1011s between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii?