Search

Discussion: TB, FT and Mobile Apps

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Discussion: TB, FT and Mobile Apps

Quick show of hands - how many TB members access Flyertalk from a mobile device or tablet? Now, keep you hands up if you are happy with the mobile FT experience.

Seeing zero hands, let us proceed.

What can TB do to push the implementation of a usable FT app for both iOS and Android? With an increasing percentage of browsing occurring away from the computer, is TB concerned that other websites with superior mobile experiences are going to start taking eyeballs away? As the voice of the common poster, what can be done by the TB?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:47 pm

I use the iOS app (which is just a skinned version of vBulletin's stock app it seems) fairly frequently on my iPhone 5 and it's a clunky experience at best. Navigation isn't great, formattings don't transfer properly, and the app isn't made for the 5's screen so it gets letterboxed.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Quick show of hands - how many TB members access Flyertalk from a mobile device or tablet? Now, keep you hands up if you are happy with the mobile FT experience.

Seeing zero hands, let us proceed.

What can TB do to push the implementation of a usable FT app for both iOS and Android? With an increasing percentage of browsing occurring away from the computer, is TB concerned that other websites with superior mobile experiences are going to start taking eyeballs away? As the voice of the common poster, what can be done by the TB?
The absolute best FT experience would be via Tapatalk. I (and others) have asked for this access, which would be possible via a trivial-to-install plugin, but IB has said they will never implement it. They claim security is the reason, but I'm guessing ad views are part of the equation.

As someone who uses Tapatalk with other forums, trust me when I say that access in this manner would eliminate the need for a dedicated app.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm bumping this up & looking for input from FTers & TB members on the mobile experience and/or suggestions that we can bring to IB so they can make the current lousy mobile app better. As more FTers check FT on mobile devices, to me it's a no-brainer that if FT wants to stay at the forefront of travel IBBs they need a better mobile experience.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The mobile app is worthless. I use my mobile devices' web browsers to view FlyerTalk on them.

I'm guessing that IB likes it that way for whatever reason. <shrugs>
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've made my view clear. When I'm away from home, I either look at FT through a browser on my device or, more frequently, visit the forums with Tapatalk support.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The mobile app is worthless. I use my mobile devices' web browsers to view FlyerTalk
Yes, this.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been using Sarafi on my ipad2 even though I have the mobile app installed.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:33 pm

The mobile app is worthless.
What specifically would you (and others) like to see in a mobile app? Perhaps if we went to IB w/ a specific list it would help to get the ball rolling. They (eventually) did wikis; maybe they'll eventually get the mobile app to work better.

But saying it's worthless w/o details doesn't provide much helpful info. I know this is something jackal said he'd eventually detail, but he's been busy. Hopefully he will put something together. But in the meantime it doesn't mean we can't ask for specific input from TB & other FTers. If someone likes another app better, what specifically about that app do they like?

I don't check FT much on my phone, but I'm on a Nokia. Most companies do their programming/mobile apps for iOs or Android.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What specifically would you (and others) like to see in a mobile app? Perhaps if we went to IB w/ a specific list it would help to get the ball rolling.
Unfortunately, while I really like the IB staff, I have no faith that such a list will avail. Consider this: It was almost a YEAR AGO that this hugely annoying usability problem was reported and even though it would be a VERY TINY FIX zero has been done to address it. Zero. The following three posts describe the problem.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18785138-post257.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18785147-post258.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18880353-post260.html
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
First off, when I use the app, it's almost exclusively on my iPad. In general, i find using iPhone apps on my iPad annoying and inconvenient. I want it to rotate, and I want a full iPad keyboard, for example.

That said...

No way to make a general view of what's going on across the site. Newest post list only has ten items, and all seem to be actual brand new threads, not a roundup of all the newest posts as can be found on the browser version.

Newest and top post lists give no indication of which forum each post/thread is in. If the majority of posts are likely to be in a forum that's of no interest, those lists are relatively useless.

Clicking "last unread" in threads never seems to get me even to the right page, much less the actual most recent unread post.

Titles in replies don't show. Many posters put key info here and don't repeat the info in the body of the post. Tends to make many posts unintelligible.

HTML not properly rendered in titles. E.g., &quot;Good Deals&quot; in Economy -- annoying, fixable.

Just a few things that readily come to mind. For starters.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 14, 2013 at 10:07 am Reason: Sp error
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:41 am

Thanks for the input, cblaisd & aBroadAbroad.

I'm also going to suggest this thread get placed in the next TalkMail newsletter in hopes of garnering more input. Perhaps if we get enough we will get IB to eventually put something together that's worthwhile.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And not to beat a rented mule* but I agree 100% with what cblaisd & aBroadAbroad posted ^

*that's a hockey term (and one that I do not like )
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:38 pm

I don't want to get everyone too excited, but I noticed this in the Technical Issues forum posted on Sept 8th posted by IBobi.

"We hope to have a new mobile solution before too long; meantime you can use the full site, or the limited m.flyertalk.com."

I posted a reply asking if 'before too long' was Q4 '14, Q1 '15, or sometime before 12/31/15

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The mobile app is worthless. I use my mobile devices' web browsers to view FlyerTalk on them.
+1 - I'm not sure I even have the FT app on my phone anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.