Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Turn On Images in All Forums

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:10 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by peteropny
It's not a presumption - when past history indicates that we've (in GLBT) had to edit out 1/3-1/2 of links posted in the forum since they lead to sites which contain inappropriate images. There is no reason to think that the ratio for images will be drastically different.
That's obviously a game changer, I just swung by the GLBT forum and wanted to post an on-topic image relating to GLBT travel. I felt it appeared somewhat discriminatory to not permit the posting of images in the GLBT forum. I couldn't think of any other logical reason for not allowing images, I actually thought "surely it is an oversight"

Now if a GLBT mod is questioning his own forum members' ability to resist posting inappropriate content on FT, then that so far as I can see is a perfect reason to prohibit images in GLBT as being a mod is a thankless task at the best of times and it would be peteropny and not I that would have to be wasting my time cleaning up.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
That's obviously a game changer, I just swung by the GLBT forum and wanted to post an on-topic image relating to GLBT travel. I felt it appeared somewhat discriminatory to not permit the posting of images in the GLBT forum. I couldn't think of any other logical reason for not allowing images, I actually thought "surely it is an oversight"

Now if a GLBT mod is questioning his own forum members' ability to resist posting inappropriate content on FT, then that so far as I can see is a perfect reason to prohibit images in GLBT as being a mod is a thankless task at the best of times and it would be peteropny and not I that would have to be wasting my time cleaning up.
It's really not a game changer as far as I'm concerned.

Individual moderators, IMO, really shouldn't be able to set policies like this for individual forums. If inappropriate images are posted, there are other means of moderating (removing images, removing posters) than shutting it down entirely. Or there can be more moderators added.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I also support this.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RichMSN
It's really not a game changer as far as I'm concerned.

Individual moderators, IMO, really shouldn't be able to set policies like this for individual forums. If inappropriate images are posted, there are other means of moderating (removing images, removing posters) than shutting it down entirely. Or there can be more moderators added.
The policy was not set by individual moderators - it was agreed to by Randy & the then TB based upon concerns that I raised at the time.

The concern here is not so much having to remove images (and other disciplinary actions) but there are times when mods (even if there are "a lot" assigned to a forum) aren't online very much for a period of time and are not able to quickly remove an inappropriate image.

Lately, TB has a tendency to make issues out of things that are not really concerns of general members. An example is the issue of merging / mega-threads - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-thoughts.html . We, Hyatt mods, have been a bit concerned with the issue that some of the Master Hotel Review Threads had become too lengthy. We came up with a possible solution to split the threads - however, as can be seen at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...dded-vote.html the members overwhelmingly voted to keep the threads as is - contrary to the discussion in TB in particular.

Last edited by peteropny; Mar 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
+1 to turning on images in ALL forums.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm confused - which forums don't allow images? Also, I posted images that used to post as images, and now only show the link: in the Religious Traveler forums. Is this connected?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I posted images that used to post as images, and now only show the link: in the Religious Traveler forums. Is this connected?
Yes.

Religious Travelers Forum is part of Special Interest Travel Forum. Disability Travel, GLBT Travelers, Group and Event Travel Planning, Travel Health and Fitness, Travel with Children, Travel with Pets & Women Travelers all share the same fate as Religious Travelers Forum since 2009:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Moved by kokonutz and seconded by Spiff

that images be allowed in all Miles and Points forums, Travel&Dining forums, Technical Services forums as well as all Community forums except the Special Interest travel forums.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
Yes.

Religious Travelers Forum is part of Special Interest Travel Forum. Disability Travel, GLBT Travelers, Group and Event Travel Planning, Travel Health and Fitness, Travel with Children, Travel with Pets & Women Travelers all share the same fate as Religious Travelers Forum since 2009:
What was the rationale for banning images from Special Interest forums?

Also, when I initially posted the images (February 2012,) they posted. It's only now that I notice they're no longer posted. How did they manage to initially post?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:07 am

Obviously the discussion happened before you joined FT. Maybe you would like to dig into the old threads w/r/t enabling images on FT?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...cept-omni.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ny-forums.html

Also there's this newer thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ll-forums.html
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously the discussion happened before you joined FT. Maybe you would like to dig into the old threads w/r/t enabling images on FT?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...cept-omni.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ny-forums.html

Also there's this newer thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ll-forums.html
Thanks for posting. But why would the images have posted initially when I posted them, Feb 2012?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Also, when I initially posted the images (February 2012,) they posted. It's only now that I notice they're no longer posted. How did they manage to initially post?
Because when the CD researched this, I went and looked at all the forums in Special Interest forums and 3-4 had mistakenly been set up allowing images. The TB had excluded Special Interest forums when originally voting on images a couple of years ago. The next vote only covered OMNI and OMNI/PR. So the CD went and turned off the images in those forums to be consistent with what the TB had voted on in the past. And hence, the motion.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:30 am

But why would the images have posted initially when I posted them, Feb 2012?
Why would the answer to your question have anything to do with the topic at hand in TB Topics Forum?

If I were you, I would have either posted that question/s in Technical Issues Forum or send a PM to the forum mod.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Because when the CD researched this, I went and looked at all the forums in Special Interest forums and 3-4 had mistakenly been set up allowing images. The TB had excluded Special Interest forums when originally voting on images a couple of years ago. The next vote only covered OMNI and OMNI/PR. So the CD went and turned off the images in those forums to be consistent with what the TB had voted on in the past. And hence, the motion.
I got it. Thanks.

Why would the answer to your question have anything to do with the topic at hand in TB Topics Forum?

If I were you, I would have either posted that question/s in Technical Issues Forum or send a PM to the forum mod.
Honestly, because once we were on the topic, I figured someone here might know. And I was right!
I didn't bother posting there cuz it didn't bother me that much. Didn't PM Carol because I didn't see the need for something so small. And didn't PM the forum mod cuz it doesn't have one
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I am in favor- I assume bandwdith limitations etc have been taken into consideration. I hope I do not get over-enthusiastic and post too many
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Images - yes

I would also like to see a size restriction, I hate it when somebody uploads something 3000 pixels wide so that you can't read the board without scrolling left and right. There should be a width limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.