Aeroflot +++ forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot +++ forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Skyteam
Russian Airlines Forum should be seperated from other central Asian (former USSR) nations. It's confusing where one should ask about Air Astana or Air Azerbijan for example.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by skchin
Russian Airlines Forum should be seperated from other central Asian (former USSR) nations. It's confusing where one should ask about Air Astana or Air Azerbijan for example.
I dont see any confusion, if you specifically include former USSR (=incl the asian republics). If they despite clear wording are posted in wrong forum, I assume the mods will kindly move.

Also these countries are still rather close to Russia in all aspects- to Asia not so much. I would say this a very natural grouping.

Also I believe it will benefitial for all the minor airlines in this group to be included, as SU posters would be able to help on many subjects.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by David-A
Create individual sections for each.

Not a combined one. Can't see what the issue is with doing this, will encourage more content in each area and enrich FT.
If you're suggesting a sub-forum for every airline that might fall under the parent forum, I think we risk segmenting so much that none of the individual ones will get much traffic/questions/input. We generally consider new individual airline forums when they are a very large % of a main forum and/or are entering into one of the main alliances & traffic/questions/input.

Cheers
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:48 am

"Aeroflot and other CIS Airlines" Forum. давай.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
You have the same problem as a lot of airlines. How to get the volume in a segmented environment?

Originally Posted by travelkid
Thats the easiest way of saying it. I think a sticky could announce including the former Soviet union states in central asia + europe.
The major issue for several countries is that this common past should never occur again. However to use FSU for current daily business may be interpreted that we are still part of Russia or you don't mind if we become again one day. Which is not your idea. To put it in a funny way: I wouldn't propose a hockey forum "Canada and other North American countries".

Originally Posted by lewinr
Maybe this could work best to provide a wider basement, although I think Ukraine is not an official CIS member.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is not a political forum. Its a travel forum. We need to group airlines depending on where questions are most likely to be answered, and based on traffic. This is purely pragmatic. On a sports forum it would be perfectly ok to group Canadian and US hockey teams together, if the traffic suggested so.

All the airlines in question share huge customer bases of Russian speaking customers able to help out.

Put Egypt in Africa or Middle East, and Turkey in Europe or Asia based on FT travel related reasons.

Typically the very few that care about nationalistic reasons are the mosts vocal. I dont see this as a problem.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: priority pass, M&M, Aeroflot Bonus
AGREE!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by tiltslope
The major issue for several countries is that this common past should never occur again. However to use FSU for current daily business may be interpreted that we are still part of Russia or you don't mind if we become again one day.
You vill become members of our Union of Forums.
And you vill be happy.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
You vill become members of our Union of Forums.
And you vill be happy.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Main idea was:

I suggest a new forum in order of preference for 1) Airlines of Russia and former CIS, 2) Airlines of Russia or 3) Aeroflot.
Main background:

Instead of morning coffee I did a quick search. Which clearly reveals these numbers are misleading- based on my main proposal.

Some of the threads you mention do indeed belong in other forums, but Im pretty sure MR deals and TRs would also gain traction in SU+ forum.

In any case I also made the same search for "SU", and that added another 25 hits for 2011. 2011 searches for S7 or Siberia(n airlines) added another 25+, and Transaero or UN another 10-15.

We are easily talking 100+ threads for these 3 airlines alone. And then we add the remaining smaller airlines. When we include threads from the last few years this forum will be easily 200-300 just off from start if not more.

I also took a closer look on what forums Aeroflot threads are put in, about 15 different- even deducting CC, TR, TB etc you are still at roughly 10 forums with scattered info. Do the same for the other searches like "SU", "S7" etc, and you will find the number of forums for this scattered info increasing further and becoming quite high.

This should all be in one forum^

We are talking user friendliness here, and the ability to attract more users.
Im a bit surprised that this proposal hasnt gotten more attention, especially looking at the mentioned posting volume/need- and in particular seeing previous support on a different thread. May I assume that the lack of such playground have contributed in driving those posters even away from FT?

Anyhow, its been a bit problematic as I offered 3 options, and wording is clearly debatable.

I will suggest going for my initial option 1 with clarified wording. In real words that means airlines based on the territory of any country which was part of fomer Soviet union. Then some comments on others objections etc;

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I support "Airlines of Russia and CIS". (Note that CIS still exists, so "Airlines of Russia and former CIS" is not really realistic. Saying "Airlines of Russia and former Soviet Union" could extend it to the Baltic countries.....
My initial "former CIS" is scrapped, as its of course existing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States
As some of the former Soviet Union (FSU) countries never bacame part of CIS, and others have left and/or had unclear relations the "Russia and CIS" is not good enough.

"Russia and former Soviet Union" is good. Only "Russia" is the compromise if no extensions can be agreed upon. Even then many are likely to post there on FSU carriers.

See also;

Originally Posted by davewill
I agree that there is a definite need for an Airlines of the FSU forum. Most of the people on here commenting on Russia also have quite a bit of experience in the other countries of the region and lots of other airlines (Air Moldova, Aerosvit, Xena, AZAL, Air Astana, Vladivostokavia) would be more logically located in that space than in either Europe or Asia.
Originally Posted by apoivre
I think Airlines of Russia just sounds better. But all those little CIS carriers do need a place somewhere. Where do you look for info on, say, Armavia (as long as it's stil flying)? In Other European FFs? Other Asian FFs?
Excactly. Sounds good but some are opposed to be labelled under "Russia". The correct former Soviet Union however, does have some horror of the past built in.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
To the proposed motion is:

The TalkBoard recommends the creation of an Airlines of Russia forum.

Correct?
Thats the easiest way of saying it. I think a sticky could announce including the former Soviet union states in central asia + europe.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That would probably be in the forum description I'm thinking?
Thats the way, if we wont to use Russia or FSU only in forum title.

How about:
Airlines of Russia
Aeroflot, S7 and other airlines based in the former Soviet Union countries

Sounds good to me, except we should probably change from countries to republics.
Gotcha. I thought it sounded funny.

There's no cultural or other sorts of issues/problems/in-sensitivities with referring to those republics thusly, is there? Is this how the republics refer to themselves!?
Originally Posted by dsauch
i am sorry to throw a stick in this wheel - I do support he idea overall - but indeed many Ukrainians might take if not offense but a stand against being called "other Russia" :-)
Same goes for Baltics - except 100 times stronger.
Georgians may actually get offended.
Even the most loyal - Belorussians dont like when their national identify is mixed.

how about "Airlines of post-USSR space" or ex-USSR?
USSR might be better than former Soviet Union, but then it might have smell of the past in the word. However its probably easier to recognize Soviet Union intuitively?

To conclude this, and get it up for voting all inputs considered I suggest the following:
"Airlines of Russia and ex-USSR"
Wont really need anything in description.

Lets get going- eh flying^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
May I assume that the lack of such playground have contributed in driving those posters even away from FT?

To conclude this, and get it up for voting all inputs considered I suggest the following: "Airlines of Russia and ex-USSR" Wont really need anything in description. Lets get going- eh flying^
Assume all you want, although my guess is your assumption is wrong given that the thread kokonutz started in the Other European Airlines forum has 237 views. My further guess is that drew a few people to this thread & a few suggestions on verbiage.

I've bumped that thread up & specifically asked for input re: naming the forum. Hopefully we'll see a few more weigh in on your latest suggestion re: name in the next few days.

BTW - I think someone in '10 did a better job than you (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14279057-post48.html) in doing the profile/questions, but between his & yours, it adds up.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I'll clap for any postUSSR airline forum that is created here, but of course only after it has safely landed.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Assume all you want, although my guess is your assumption is wrong given that the thread kokonutz started in the Other European Airlines forum has 237 views.
There can be multiple reasons why people leave FT. Unfriendly mods, or even unfriendly TBers- or as I presented as a part-reason, not having the forums one would like to contribute on. Could be as simple as new job, family and lots of things. I just observe that a list of close to (IIRC) 10 posters from the couple of years old thread, does not seem to be active anymore. SO if you guess my assumption is wrong you have probably either seen those posters, or have better knowledge on why they choose not to contribute. Reasons can be important to improve something, but Im merely posting the facts.
1. The most skilled posters as referenced previously in this area are lacking.
2. The statistics, increased volume, I have provided clearly justifies the need for the forum.

BTW - I think someone in '10 did a better job than you (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14279057-post48.html) in doing the profile/questions, but between his & yours, it adds up.
So much for doing what should be TBs job Or if TB is too lazy, at least the communitys job.

Your comment is NOT appreciated Pretty lame actually. Also let me repeat if you missed it, this is a totally different proposal. See post#1 on both threads.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So much for doing what should be TBs job Or if TB is too lazy, at least the communitys job.
You just called out probably the hardest-working, least-lazy, most-engaged TalkBoard member that the TalkBoard has seen in the last four years.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
You just called out probably the hardest-working, least-lazy, most-engaged TalkBoard member that the TalkBoard has seen in the last four years.
Had an idea of such, and ^ to that. Still doesnt justify her patronizing totally unneeded comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.