Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Counting OMNI P/R posts, where is the discussion and vote?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Counting OMNI P/R posts, where is the discussion and vote?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Brian
Not withstanding assertions to the contrary, moderators exist as a privileged class... the bureaucrats who create and enforce regulation. They are indeed part of management, although the most poorly compensated part, at least financially.

Talkboard is the only vehicle available, intentionally defanged as it is, to keep their powers in check. And we finally, after years, have a Talkboard willing to stand up to the management class.
I thought the Talk Board was specifically excluded from moderation issues and had no control at all over moderation. How, exactly, will they be keeping moderator powers in check when they have no authority to do so?

SanDiego1K made it pretty clear that the Talk Board won't be exercising control over moderators.

Under my watch:

1. The Moderator private forum is never going to be open for public reading.
2. Public discussion of individual discipline is not going to occur.
3. Public discussion of individual moderator action is not going to occur.
4. TalkBoard is not going to become the overlord of moderators.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Originally Posted by tom911
I thought the Talk Board was specifically excluded from moderation issues and had no control at all over moderation. How, exactly, will they be keeping moderator powers in check when they have no authority to do so?

SanDiego1K made it pretty clear that the Talk Board won't be exercising control over moderators.
I agree with you, although I think it is an abuse of management's power to exercise it in this way.

However, I think it is clear that elements of the moderator corps sees themselves as managers of acceptable forms of expression here, and TB is doing a good job of nibbling away at that as far as they can.

It's only a matter of time until TB is reminded of their place by management, unless management recognizes that they do not have a legitimate role in controlling free speech, only frankly abusive speech.

It promises to be an interesting year.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm sure Carol will do the right thing, just the way Randy did.

Just say NO to counting posts in Omni.

I'm still trying to figure out why there was even a discussion of this, since it's been voted down before.

Are we to believe that every time a vote goes the wrong way, that we can expect a new thread pleading for its return.

I'm still convinced that this debate has been for debate purposes only. TB has better things to do than waste time. :-:

Dan
Originally Posted by RichMSN
So since something's voted down before that means it shouldn't be voted on again? You know, that's why there are elections -- if people are unhappy with the status quo, they can vote in people who promise to try to fix previous incorrect decisions.

Ultimately, it's Carol's call, but I'm unsure why she would allow and then announce a vote across all of FT and then not implement based on the recommendation of the TalkBoard.
Originally Posted by CPRich in the other thread...

The OP says a 2/3 majority is required to pass. Isn't that 6 out of 9 votes? Losing by 1 vote would be 5 votes for, correct?

Motion Failed: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni says

On 8 August 2011 the TalkBoard failed to pass by a vote of 4-5

Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts says
On 29 February 2008, the TalkBoard failed to pass, 3-6

dhammer53 says...

Maybe if the topic keeps coming up every 2 months instead of every few months, it will eventually pass.

dh
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich in the other thread...

The OP says a 2/3 majority is required to pass. Isn't that 6 out of 9 votes? Losing by 1 vote would be 5 votes for, correct?

Motion Failed: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni says

On 8 August 2011 the TalkBoard failed to pass by a vote of 4-5

Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts says
On 29 February 2008, the TalkBoard failed to pass, 3-6

dhammer53 says...

Maybe if the topic keeps coming up every 2 months instead of every few months, it will eventually pass.

dh
So important you needed to cross-post it?

OK, I can make the same point here, too.

That's three times in 5 years. And I ran for TB partially because of the most recent vote. Should my hands be tied by previous TalkBoard decisions?

And, BTW, some of the no votes are now yes votes, specifically because of the compromise proposed.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Prospero
I'm not so certain it is moot.

Carol has been handed a very difficult decision as TalkBoard has been unable to decide whether posts should count on OMNI or not. Last summer Talkboard sent Carol a clear and decisive recommendation that posts should not count; last week it presented Carol with a U-turn.

Personally, I believe Carol has been placed in an unnecessarily awkward position. On the bright side, it may offer her a opportune moment to settle this issue once and for all.
Just curious - when did you start speaking for Carol?

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I tend to think that if Carol were going to veto a proposal, she'd do so in the discussion stages, even before a formal motion is made.

That certainly was the case with a couple of my proposals (eg, opening the private TB forum for all posters to read, making moderators more accountable to the posters, etc).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
What koko said.

This operation runs on teamwork, whereas some people think it's the US Congress or something similarly dysfunctional. No matter where ideas come from, they are almost certain to be considered and discussed, and Carol follows everything closely while largely deferring to the TalkBoard. I consider this an ideal arrangement.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
What koko said.

This operation runs on teamwork, whereas some people think it's the US Congress or something similarly dysfunctional. No matter where ideas come from, they are almost certain to be considered and discussed, and Carol follows everything closely while largely deferring to the TalkBoard. I consider this an ideal arrangement.
Agreed and agreed ^
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious - when did you start speaking for Carol?

Cheers.
If my post came across that way, I sincerely apologise. That was not my intention. There is merit to my point however.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
ooopsss.. never mind... I didn't read through to the end
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by RichMSN

That's three times in 5 years. And I ran for TB partially because of the most recent vote. Should my hands be tied by previous TalkBoard decisions?
Ever hear the expression beating a dead horse?

dh
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
If I'm reading this correctly, theres still a chance that Carol may not honor the decision of the TB?

Democracy is rough, and we may not all agree (I certainly have my reservations), but the voice of the people is heard about this issue whether we like it or not..

Plus Carol seemed 100% cooperative up to this point, to abide the wishes of the TB..
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If I'm reading this correctly, theres still a chance that Carol may not honor the decision of the TB?
She's never been obligated to AFAIK.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Ever hear the expression beating a dead horse?

dh
It's not dead when we can remove the people who made that decision in the first place.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:42 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tcook052
She's never been obligated to AFAIK.
That is correct. She has never been obligated to implement any TalkBoard motions that have passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.