Search

Travel Planners Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Travel Planners Forum

A new thread in the Marriott forum got me thinking about Travel Planners. I suspect that there are a number of folks on FT who, while they aren't fulltime travel coordinators/planners, may be more small-time in function. I help out with a few "events" every year and there may be others who do as well.

I was wondering if there is already a set forum for small time planners like myself to ask questions and talk about possible tools, tricks of the trade, how to maximize miles/points opportunities, etc. I realize that some discussions might be very pointed to a specific chain/program and thus might be better suited for that specific forum. But quite often, as a planner, I have to wade through a lot of info/decisions just to decide which chain/hotel to work with. I sometimes see some threads pop up in MilesBuzz every now and then, but there is a lot more to planning than just the miles so I'm not really sure it is the best place either. Some info my be location specific, but again, there's a lot about planning that goes beyond that.

If there isn't someplace specific, I have no idea if there is much demand or not for a separate forum, but I thought I'd see if anyone was ready for a short break from the post counting discussion.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
I both act as a travel agent and, in a different capacity, as a travel planner along with writing a travel blog. I would certainly be interested in such a forum.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Talkboiard member will have a decide to creation new Travel Planners forum. I think you have wait and see if they can have a vote to create new Travel Planners forum. No matter what happened in the future.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
You could start building a master thread, maybe in milesbuzz?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Actually I like the idea of a Travel Planners forum as its own forum, but would like to see the OP flesh out the idea a bit.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Lots of points to be earned in the travel planning game. And lots of tips, tricks and issues to discuss. Seems like a good idea for a forum to me...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually I like the idea of a Travel Planners forum as its own forum, but would like to see the OP flesh out the idea a bit.

Cheers.
I think I can all favor to create new Travel Planners forum. I surely that I can understand Talkboard will have a negotiated deal to members.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

...would like to see the OP flesh out the idea a bit.
Personally, I would see this as a forum where anyone who was planning an event/meeting that requires flying, hotel rooms, conference rooms, etc, could come to have discussions.

I could see some who plan events on a regular basis asking about the various tools, contract issues, whose easiest to work with, hardest, what bonus opportunites are there from the various programs are out there. If flights are involved, does it make sense to deal with an airline and hotels separately, deal with just the hotels or airlines for both, or deal with a 3rd party, etc. For hotels, does it make more sense to Master bill or to allow each individual to pay, etc. What are the pros/cons for each of the airline's/hotel's meetings/events portals? Heck, is it best to use those portals or are there other, better, ways to setup a meeting/group trip.

I suspect there are a number of FTers who may be more on the infrequent planner side of things. They may want to see what tricks of the trade, shortcuts, best point opportunities, etc. are available to help make the most of this one event.

Basically today, there just isn't any one place for this information and with no set place, I suspect people may end up going elsewhere or just not asking at all. And in reality, travel planning for groups or meeting planning is more than just trying to get bonus points/miles. So having a set place might actually spark discussions that aren't coming around today.

And yes, points/miles is a big issue, just not the only one. Heck, with one event I renew my PC Plat status every year. ^ So I'm sure there will be discussions around who offers the most miles/points for a specific meeting/event. The problem with having that type of discussion in a particular hotel/airline forum is that the answers will normally be very centric to the hotel/airline for that forum. And yes, some of this can be done in Milesbuzz but as mentioned there are a lot of areas that go beyond just the basic miles/points discussions.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Cheers.
I do as well and I also would like to see more and to use the words of Arte Johnson......verrrrrrry interesting
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Personally, I would see this as a forum where anyone who was planning an event/meeting that requires flying, hotel rooms, conference rooms, etc, could come to have discussions.

I could see some who plan events on a regular basis asking about the various tools, contract issues, whose easiest to work with, hardest, what bonus opportunites are there from the various programs are out there. If flights are involved, does it make sense to deal with an airline and hotels separately, deal with just the hotels or airlines for both, or deal with a 3rd party, etc. For hotels, does it make more sense to Master bill or to allow each individual to pay, etc. What are the pros/cons for each of the airline's/hotel's meetings/events portals? Heck, is it best to use those portals or are there other, better, ways to setup a meeting/group trip.

I suspect there are a number of FTers who may be more on the infrequent planner side of things. They may want to see what tricks of the trade, shortcuts, best point opportunities, etc. are available to help make the most of this one event.

Basically today, there just isn't any one place for this information and with no set place, I suspect people may end up going elsewhere or just not asking at all. And in reality, travel planning for groups or meeting planning is more than just trying to get bonus points/miles. So having a set place might actually spark discussions that aren't coming around today.

And yes, points/miles is a big issue, just not the only one. Heck, with one event I renew my PC Plat status every year. ^ So I'm sure there will be discussions around who offers the most miles/points for a specific meeting/event. The problem with having that type of discussion in a particular hotel/airline forum is that the answers will normally be very centric to the hotel/airline for that forum. And yes, some of this can be done in Milesbuzz but as mentioned there are a lot of areas that go beyond just the basic miles/points discussions.
Those are all good points & would lead me to support the creation of this forum.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Too many
I think it's a great idea. I've been doing large group bookings and trips for years and sometimes would love to nut out ideas with others and get support.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:44 am

I've brought this up for discussion in the private TB forum. I'm supportive of it.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if this was dead on arrival or if there was any discussion within the TB on this.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Here is what I posted in the private TB forum regarding this issue this morning:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I wish that forum had existed when I planned my [destination] wedding last year. With the input of other FTers I could have probably gotten a better deal/more points/comped status from a chain for holding the event...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:35 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I could probably make decent use of this, since while Mr. Kipper has someone at work who coordinates their travel, it usually falls to me to take care of the "extras"--making sure FF numbers and hotel numbers are associated with tickets/reservations, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.