Wiki Posts
Search

My thoughts for the 2012 Talkboard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
What a disappointment

It's truly disappointing to see that a business which generates all of it's revenue from the speech of it's users remains completely committed to opacity and censorship of reasonable but disagreeable speech on topics of interest, and a centralized command and control structure that absolutely assures this will not be influenced by the users in any structured way.

And as disappointing as this pronouncement is, even more so is the spin with which the message is delivered, which is, unfortunately, much more transparent than possibly intended.

The value proposition of this website, which is 100% derived from the users, and 0% from the management, is such that users will tolerate enormous censorship and limitations on their participation, and that will continue unless or until someone disrupts the business with a different, democratic conversation model.

I do think we owe a moment of thanks to the management, however, for making their intentions very clear, regardless of their actual intent in doing so.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:07 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by Brian
It's truly disappointing to see that a business which generates all of it's revenue from the speech of it's users remains completely committed to opacity and censorship of reasonable but disagreeable speech on topics of interest, and a centralized command and control structure that absolutely assures this will not be influenced by the users in any structured way.

And as disappointing as this pronouncement is, even more so is the spin with which the message is delivered, which is, unfortunately, much more transparent than possibly intended.

The value proposition of this website, which is 100% derived from the users, and 0% from the management, is such that users will tolerate enormous censorship and limitations on their participation, and that will continue unless or until someone disrupts the business with a different, democratic conversation model.

I do think we owe a moment of thanks to the management, however, for making their intentions very clear, regardless of their actual intent in doing so.
I am in agreement with this post. Apparently, unless you agree completely with the management, your posts disappear... and some posters disappear too!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Pretty strong statements from long time members.

I hope the management is willing to listen to their concerns, as to the concerns of many other members, including elected TB members.

Hopefully we can work together to get what the posters want.

In the long run its just not possible to disregard repeated concerns.

Its time for a FT wake up call@:-)
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: Too many
Great post Carol and look forward to continued improvements under your stellar guidance
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
All I'm going to say on the subject is that I was elected to represent the members (and I interpret this as "general members") of FT and will do so to the best of my ability over the next two years.

Feel free to PM me with anything -- no topic is off-limit or off-topic in my PM box.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
All I'm going to say on the subject is that I was elected to represent the members (and I interpret this as "general members") of FT and will do so to the best of my ability over the next two years.

Feel free to PM me with anything -- no topic is off-limit or off-topic in my PM box.
I'd like to take a moment to thank kokonutz and Rich both for their commitment to represent the members and their willingness to read and reply to PM's. Both have demonstrated to me that they are very responsive and are very committed to at least listening to suggestions and ideas. ^
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone can PM SanDiego1K/mod/TB/IB.
Originally Posted by kipper
commitment to represent the members...very committed to at least listening
Originally Posted by kipper
willingness to read and reply to PM's...demonstrated to me that they are very responsive
anyone who is responsive/reply = ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:49 am
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

^ And I'll throw in my two hockey pucks as well on this
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
My signature even has a direct link to the PM form for me.

I have yet to receive any PMs, though.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here I was thinking that this would be a thread that could seed an OCD forum on FT, as successor to ORP.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Why did Randy have an ORP forum?
None of those points are relevant to me. I do get a lot of emails, though nothing on the order of what he gets, but enough to be challenging to work thru. Regardless, I try very hard and get to a high percentage of them.
I've got nothing interesting to say publicly in the ways that Randy did.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Where do we send suggestions for changes to FT in the SD1K era?
Directly to me.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Here I was thinking that this would be a thread that could seed an OCD forum on FT, as successor to ORP.
Not sure why you would think that, since her statements on this issue, as noted above, have been clear and consistent for almost a year:

Nope, despite some having come up with a great acronym, OCD, Only Community Director. Randy was special. He is iconic in the industry. He is the world expert on miles and points. He has television reporters follow him around. He is our own celebrity. Me? I'm good at organization, understand his ethos for flyertalk.com, and hope to keep the user experience a positive one. But I've got nothing interesting to say publicly in the ways that Randy did.
It's flattering that anyone would think my thoughts should have boardwide appeal. Thank you for the compliment. However, I will not be opening an OCD forum. Tom911 has found a quote of mine which continues to represent my thoughts.

Why did Randy have an ORP forum?
  1. He is a world reknown expert on points and miles. He is on TV, in newspapers, in magazines, and gives talks at seminars. We wanted the chance to ask our celeb our own questions.
  2. He travels actively, so while at the helm of FT, was often away.
  3. He ran and runs a multiple of businesses. While we always thought we were his most loved, the reality is that he needed to support a lot of employees in his various business endeavours.
  4. He received thousands of emails a week, well beyond any person's ability to respond. ORP gave folks a way to get issues in front of him.

None of those points are relevant to me. I do get a lot of emails, though nothing on the order of what he gets, but enough to be challenging to work thru. Regardless, I try very hard and get to a high percentage of them.

So thank you for the kind words, but I'm happy with today's structure.

Carol

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Great post Carol and look forward to continued improvements under your stellar guidance
+1

Certainly appreciate the hard work and effort put into the community.. I found that responses by the TB and Moderators to be quite detailed.. there is definite direction set forth..

unfortunately, with size comes mistakes, and some member discontentment.. with anything in life, there is room for improvement..

But I for one personally, truly appreciate the L/Earning experience curve in my personal travels with the 2 years of membership here on FT. Thanks for all the volunteers' effort and input.. Have a Happy New Year..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.