Search

The GATE - create a forum for the blog.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
The GATE - create a forum for the blog.

I was just wondering if TB is interested in having a THE GATE - FORUM.

when the blog was at boardingarea, we had the opportunity to discuss with the blogger (canarsie and kiwi flyer IIRC)

right now, the comments are off. So if we had a forum where we could suggest threads for the gate, discuss topics with the blogger - that could bring a greater audience to that blog which I used to read more often when it was at boardingarea.

anyone?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is a VERY interesting idea.

FlyerTalk could potentially become the preferred location for comments for all sorts of travel-related blogs. The challenge is financial: The company hosting the blog would prefer that all activity related to the blog generate page views (and advertising revenue) on the blog's site. Posts and page views on FlyerTalk do not make the blog any money.

OTOH, putting blog comments on FlyerTalk has the potential to greatly increase the number of comments and page views. If the owners of FlyerTalk were to share some of the advertising revenue with the blog site owner, both parties could gain revenue.

If we can put a concrete proposal in front of Internet Brands, they might be able to make revenue sharing deals with several blog site owners.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
This is a VERY interesting idea.

FlyerTalk could potentially become the preferred location for comments for all sorts of travel-related blogs. The challenge is financial: The company hosting the blog would prefer that all activity related to the blog generate page views (and advertising revenue) on the blog's site. Posts and page views on FlyerTalk do not make the blog any money.

OTOH, putting blog comments on FlyerTalk has the potential to greatly increase the number of comments and page views. If the owners of FlyerTalk were to share some of the advertising revenue with the blog site owner, both parties could gain revenue.

If we can put a concrete proposal in front of Internet Brands, they might be able to make revenue sharing deals with several blog site owners.
at least the gate is running on flyertalk servers now. expand to other travel blogs ... why not ^
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are comments off?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Why are comments off?
I don't know.

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...-at-20-12.html

you cannot comment any more at the Gate - the comment function is disabled.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrissxb
I don't know.

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...-at-20-12.html

you cannot comment any more at the Gate - the comment function is disabled.
Before even considering a forum to discuss FT Blogs, I think it would be wise to have the comments section enabled or determine why it was disabled.

If this is something important to you, I would encourage you to send a note to either SanDiego1k or IB first to help understand that piece of the pie.

IMHO, a valid comments section would be more beneficial than a blog forum as that's feedback that's located in the right place at the right time for the right audience.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
IMHO, a valid comments section would be more beneficial than a blog forum as that's feedback that's located in the right place at the right time for the right audience.
Unless the comments button takes you to an FT thread headed by a copy of the blog post. @:-)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Unless the comments button takes you to an FT thread headed by a copy of the blog post. @:-)
^
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Yeah - but if I were reading the blog, I'd want to be able to read the comments in the same screen - so...unless the comments are also showing up in the actual blog content, I don't see the value of a separate forum.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Before even considering a forum to discuss FT Blogs, I think it would be wise to have the comments section enabled or determine why it was disabled.
I sent a note to Internet Brands today, directing them to this thread and asking about this feature. They intend to open the comments but first have to solve an IT issue to allow us to respond with our handles rather than creating a separate blog handle.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I sent a note to Internet Brands today, directing them to this thread and asking about this feature. They intend to open the comments but first have to solve an IT issue to allow us to respond with our handles rather than creating a separate blog handle.
Thank you.

Assuming that IB is now aware of this thread & sees it as a value-add to put a timeline on this fix, I don't personally see the value of creating a new forum to discuss blogs if/when comments are to be enabled.

In the meantime, I would encourage members to either PM the contributers - or utilize the Newstand forum to discuss the Blogs.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

great ... it took less than 10 posts for a negative note - and TB complains about being marginalized how much does it cost to try it?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
As one of the bloggers at The Gate, I would love to see the comments feature turned on. Blogging doesn't work well as a one-way street. My posts are always meant to be conversation starters.

That being said, having a forum for the blog doesn't really help in accomplishing that. As has been said previously in this thread, you'd want to read the comments along with the blog post.

I also think that I'd blog more often if I was more engaged with the readers. I can easily see comments made by others spurring on ideas and conversations that would evolve into newer posts.

Mordy
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Garuda, Air France
I agree with Mordy2000

I have contributed occasionally to The Gate and wondered why all posts said they had 0 comments. Later, I discovered that actually no one could leave a comment.

Like Mordy2000, I would rather see comments to The Gate's blog posts enabled than a new forum.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
They intend to open the comments but first have to solve an IT issue to allow us to respond with our handles rather than creating a separate blog handle.
nice chrissxb

theoretically, there might also be something that would be in between comments and a new forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ech-brand.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.