Wiki Posts
Search

Request For A Texas Forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Request For A Texas Forum

With a new TalkBoard in place, I felt it was time to repeat the request which I made in 2008.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ime-texas.html
I am not a big fan of bumping years-old threads, so I would like the TB to consider adding Texas as a Forum (Travel& Dining>United States>Texas)
Thanks for your consideration.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Shouldn't we wait until we see what happens with Rick Perry and the 2012 Potus election? <ducking>

But in all seriousness, with UA & CO walking down the aisle tho not officially sleeping together for few more months, this could bring more focus to this issue (and perhaps valid focus imho) at least from an IAH standpoint and where I personally am not familiar with the Lone Star State (other than it's big as "stuff" ), I'd like to see what others have to say as that may trigger some thoughts not only from me but others as well.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:05 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Are threads about Texas getting lost in the "South" forum? I see there was debate as to which geographic region Texas belonged to in the previous thread, but as long as it has a place to call home and isn't completely dominating that forum (just MHO that it doesn't look like Texas threads are any more prevalent than ones about the Carolinas, for example), I'm not sure the need is there.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by goalie
(other than it's big as "stuff" )
You do know that if you cut Alaska in thirds at low tide, Texas'd be the fourth-largest state, right?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Yes please!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is much easier to segregate, discriminate, and then excommunicate with a Texas forum, so I'm all for it Especially if one day it needs to become its own national forum, the work will almost be done.

Seriously, I cannot believe that Texas is just part of "South." In no time at all there will probably be subforum for "TSA-Approved Dallas Hairsprays"

With CO/AA/WN all having megahubs in Texas, I'm surprised there isn't more call for people who end up in Texas having general questions. But as you know, I'm a member of "if you build it, they'll probably come" school, and also, "if they don't come, you can always repossess it" school.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
obscure2k, in reading the '08 thread you provided the link to, one of the arguments against it at the time is that there weren't that many Texas threads in the South forum & thus it didn't need its own forum.

Has that significantly changed since '08 to justify creating one now, or should threads regarding Texas just be put in the West forum rather than the South forum?

"BTW - from the guidelines:

If you want to suggest a new forum or have other suggestions for TalkBoard consideration, it would be very helpful if you can demonstrate - with some supporting evidence - why you think there is a need for that new forum or other change to FlyerTalk.

This can be shown by, among other things, any or all of the following:

- existing threads which would be best suited in your proposed forum.

- describing a need which is not being met for a group of Flyertalk members by the existing forums.

- other relevant arguments showing why Flyertalk would be improved by the addition of this forum or change.

Although individual TalkBoard members each have their own ideas regarding what will or will not constitute a successful new forum or change, presenting evidence of the nature above will almost certainly increase your chances of getting support and possible agreement.

The TalkBoard generally votes on suggestions that have proven support among posters, and a 2/3 majority vote of TalkBoard members is needed for any motion to succeed."

FWIW - I don't think of Texas as being in the South, but then I don't think of it as anywhere, just "It's Texas!"

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:01 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by obscure2k
... I would like the TB to consider adding Texas as a Forum (Travel& Dining>United States>Texas)
Completely concur! ^

Of the 159 threads extant in the South forum in the past year, 66 of them (=42%) are Texas-related

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 15, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm definitely open to this - I quick view of the South forum indeed shows majority of threads are TX related...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'm definitely open to this - I quick view of the South forum indeed shows majority of threads are TX related...
Agree and would support Texas getting a dedicated forum. ^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jackal
...(other than it's big as "stuff" )...
You do know that if you cut Alaska in thirds at low tide, Texas'd be the fourth-largest state, right?
True but "she" comes from that state (and now I'll be quiet )
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
True but "she" comes from that state (and now I'll be quiet )
That and a yellow rose will still have Texas being the fourth largest state
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'd vote for it. Then again, I'll vote to start most requested forums as to me there's very little downside.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
YEE-HAW! Why not give it a shot, pardner (we can use my six-shooter!)?

After all, I messed with Texas back in 08. I shan't press my luck...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
With a new TalkBoard in place, I felt it was time to repeat the request which I made in 2008.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ime-texas.html
I am not a big fan of bumping years-old threads, so I would like the TB to consider adding Texas as a Forum (Travel& Dining>United States>Texas)
Thanks for your consideration.
This is an excellent idea from o2k and I totally support establishing this new Texas forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.