Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Amend Talkboard Guidelines - Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Reuven
I think we need to understand better this forum's structure to make intelligent comments on that subject matter.
We?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I voted against this already...I think our members are competent enough to vote for those they think do a good job and those folks should be allowed to serve as the members choose them.
I agree very strongly with this, I am on several board of directors and keeping good people is vital to long term success. New people may have good ideas but let them prove it in election against experienced people who are have had good ideas and a track record. A new person can do just as much harm as good. Elect the best people not just new people.^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Please keep this focused on term limits for the TalkBoard. If you have any ideas about term limits for moderators, a private message to the Community Director is the way to address it.

Also for housekeeping reasons, a preliminary discussion on the subject was closed. However interested parties should review this thread for more background:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...our-input.html

Last edited by Moderator2; Dec 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I think term limits are a wonderful idea and I think this was a timely proposal.

I only served one term on TB by my own choice. I ran with that in mind (although it was not in my platform) and at the end of my two years felt it was time to let a fresh board member come on to take my place. While there has always been some turnover every year, there are also many TB members past and present who have served for many years, perhaps reelected as the best candidates, but perhaps reelected on their "experience" or visibility from already being on TB.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm on the fence as I don't think the proposal to introduce term limits goes far enough..

Beef up the proposal (no one serving past two terms), or leave it alone imho..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:21 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Bravo.... totally agree!

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm on the fence as I don't think the proposal to introduce term limits goes far enough..

Beef up the proposal (no one serving past two terms), or leave it alone imho..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:52 am

I'm in favor of term limits. When you have a community as large as this one to have a handful of people entrenched as long-term TB members is not a good idea.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:26 am
In Memoriam

I find it instructive that, so far, only 1 poster who is not a Talkboard member, former member, or Moderator is in unqualified opposition to term limits. The opposition to term limits is otherwise from "The Establishment".
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
I find it instructive that, so far, only 1 poster who is not a Talkboard member, former member, or Moderator is in unqualified opposition to term limits. The opposition to term limits is otherwise from "The Establishment".
Interesting indeed!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: *Alliance
I support this. Good idea.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Keep in mind that there are current TalkBoard members and former Talkboard member who *are* in favor of this, for various reasons. Me included. If it was possible, I'd make the interval between terms longer. I'll take what I can get, if anything.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Keep in mind that there are current TalkBoard members and former Talkboard member who *are* in favor of this, for various reasons. Me included. If it was possible, I'd make the interval between terms longer. I'll take what I can get, if anything.
I'd like to think that some of the new TalkBoard members were elected in part due to the FT members' desire for changes like this.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm also on a number of Boards.. and as a commercial property owner we deal with these type of issues on a regular basis, as a couple of our properties are within condo associations..

It would be disastrous imo if for profit corporations require fresh blood, even every 4 years.. None of my corporations we own (14 plus) has this written into any of the by-laws.. only the non-profits (i.e. condos and owner associations) I've encountered required term limits..

I think since this is a not for profit volunteer board, there is an argument for term limits.. but if this was a for profit board (i.e. I believe Internet Solutions own FT), then I would advise strongly against it term limits for its corporate board.. If for some reason, the TalkBoard is the actual Board on Internet Solutions handling advertising and profitability of this forum (which won't happen imo), then I would strongly advise against term limits.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:57 am

Great idea.

As an auditor I saw countless Boards where the membership never changed. They were always the least responsive to any suggestion of change because they liked how they did it (clearly, as if they didn't they would/could have changed it 20 years ago). OTOH, boards with turnover were much more open to suggestions; and even when they decided to stick with the old ways, at least they had the conversations.

If the established members of ANY board are so convinced that everything is perfect and that such perfection is clear to anyone who researches it, then they have no reason not to support term limits. Worst case, some new members get in, gasp in awe at the perfection after reviewing the issues and change nothing. And a year later the old members can run again to continue admiring the perfection.

Quite frankly, given that all except one of the non-TB/Mod affiliated members has posted in support of this motion, I'd suggest to IB that if TB won't support this motion, perhaps it should be put to a referendum during the next TB vote.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:00 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
I support the idea of term limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.