Our new Talkboard leaders for 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our new Talkboard leaders for 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by attorney28
Looks like good old Spiff is a bit defensive.

I certainly haven't talked about moderation in years, neither do I care, and certainly not since the Community Director became Community Director, so rather than making up stuff, try to actually contribute something rather than blocking everything.
Since the only "contribution" you had in this thread was snark, I was left to infer you meant by "progress". So sorry.

Originally Posted by kellio33
I would then respectfully request that FT come out of the "benevolant dictatorship" that this board has continued in since it's inception. The world has changed, the competion has changed but why hasn't FT?
The recent data contained herein can be found on the myriad blogs and competing boards. And it's not hard to subscribe to the relevant sites.

The core of FT info now is it's depth of history. But do I really need to know what the meal service on UA was like in 2002 or 1999? It's interesting reading but the overwhelming bulk makes it difficult to find what I really want to know.

Without innovation, FT is and will continue to become the Wikipedia of travel info. Meaning a historical record.

Really folks, FT was and could continue to be the gold standard for travel. I really think IBB should wake up. The competion is real.
In that case, I suggest you PM your concerns to the Community Director, if you're looking to change FlyerTalk with respect to the competition and the benevolent Community Director's position on how the board operates, if your suggestions fall outside the purview of the TalkBoard.

Otherwise, please feel free to post suggestions for the TalkBoard in the relevant thread or create one if it doesn't exist.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Spiff
Since the only "contribution" you had in this thread was snark, I was left to infer you meant by "progress". So sorry.
Still bitter?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:48 pm

Still bitter?
Not I. You?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Not at all.

But people who don't know FT history should know:

gleff (who was TalkBoard President for quite a while) was also usually more in favor of the status quo, but he 1) always listened to people's points and responded to them in a 2) thoughtful and 3) respectful fashion in this forum here.

That's 3 more things than one can say about the current TalkBoard President.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:59 pm

Not at all.

But people who don't know FT history should know:

gleff (who was TalkBoard President for quite a while) was also usually more in favor of the status quo, but he 1) always listened to people's points and responded to them in a 2) thoughtful and 3) respectful fashion in this forum here.

That's 3 more things than one can say about the current TalkBoard President.
You're certainly entitled to your perceptions. I don't agree with your last sentence. However, I will say that people who just come to this forum to throw rocks at an unpaid, volunteer advisory board may receive a less than cordial response from me, especially if their rock-throwing is over matters that the former Host and present Community Director have stated in no uncertain terms are outside the purview of this unpaid, volunteer advisory board.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:08 pm

You're certainly entitled to your perceptions. I don't agree with your last sentence. However, I will say that people who just come to this forum to throw rocks at an unpaid, volunteer advisory board may receive a less than cordial response from me, especially if their rock-throwing is over matters that the former Host and present Community Director has stated in no uncertain terms are outside the purview of this unpaid, volunteer advisory board.
It is my opinion as a former TalkBoard member that you have been doing a bad job as a member of the TalkBoard. I cannot go into further detail but I was on TalkBoard with you at the same time and that is my perception, to which I am entitled, as you say. One could argue that this should not go into a congratulatory thread, but whatever.

Who cares if it is unpaid. Am I supposed to feel sorry for you that it is unpaid? Nobody forces you to do it, other than whatever motivation you seem to have to cling to your little seat for years and years and years by opposing term limits.

I am not stating my opinion on anything other than that, so whatever matters you are talking about are something that you are trying to bring into this thread. This thread is about the new leaders of TalkBoard, and only about that.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:16 pm

Oh well. Can't please all the people all of the time.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
As a previous elected Talkboard member, I know spiff and kokonutz and Sharon all very well.

And have downed many an adult beverage with all three, and on several continents with each IIRC.

Whatever the votes, good to see folks still taking the time to get involved - best wishes to all who took part.

Now about that new forum for Cubana Airlines ..................

Glen
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: US,HH
Spiff, thank you for the reply.

I'm really hope Carol is reading these conversations and listening. I see no reason to hide the topic in a PM.

Apologies for high jacking this thread.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by kellio33
Spiff, thank you for the reply.

I'm really hope Carol is reading these conversations and listening. I see no reason to hide the topic in a PM.

Apologies for high jacking this thread.
Absolutely no worries.

If the topic is one that the TB has no purview over, then the reason I suggest PM is because that is and has been the requested avenue for such topics.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
As a previous elected Talkboard member, I know spiff and kokonutz and Sharon all very well.

And have downed many an adult beverage with all three, and on several continents with each IIRC.
It's been too long since I've had an adult beverage or three with you, koko, or Sharon.

Good beverages and times though.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

And, interestingly enough, when gleff became involved with a competing board in which he has a financial interest, he (and the other owners) adopted the suggestions which some of us have been urging FT to accept for years.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
And, interestingly enough, when gleff became involved with a competing board in which he has a financial interest, he (and the other owners) adopted the suggestions which some of us have been urging FT to accept for years.
Really? Maybe I should go back to that board and have a look, then. I am just too lazy to follow several boards at the same time.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Really? Maybe I should go back to that board and have a look, then. I am just too lazy to follow several boards at the same time.
Really.

They do not have a corps of moderators (although they do have "guides" who can handle some technical moderation functions). There are a few, paid, moderators who work out of the House of Miles and are the only ones who have disciplinary authority.

More than that, there is no restriction on what can be posted (assuming it is on topic). If you want to discuss moderation (either MP's or FT's) you are free to do so.

Surprisingly, the world has not collapsed.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
...fall outside the purview of the TalkBoard.
I start to see this phrase so often I am wondering why we do not have a forum sticky with this as a thread title? Or can we just ask our leaders to put this line in their signature, change their username to something like "outsidethepurviewoftheTalkboard" or get it as a tattoo?

I would like to see Talkboard be able to acutally be able to act on things that would make FT a better place. Whether TB would act is another matter, but the way the rules are written there is little TB can do on many matters. I would encourage our new TB leaders to attempt to adjust the rules so that more things fall inside the purview of TB. Ultimately that would (indirectly) give the voters/posters more say in what goes on around here.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by the_horvaths
I start to see this phrase so often I am wondering why we do not have a forum sticky with this as a thread title? Or can we just ask our leaders to put this line in their signature, change their username to something like "outsidethepurviewoftheTalkboard" or get it as a tattoo?

I would like to see Talkboard be able to acutally be able to act on things that would make FT a better place. Whether TB would act is another matter, but the way the rules are written there is little TB can do on many matters. I would encourage our new TB leaders to attempt to adjust the rules so that more things fall inside the purview of TB. Ultimately that would (indirectly) give the voters/posters more say in what goes on around here.
There is usually only one reason you'll see that phrase and that is usually because a small number of members refuse to respect the wishes of the Community Director and the former Host of this IBB. She has stated quite clearly that the TalkBoard is not the avenue to pursue such concerns: direct contact with her is. Seems quite clear to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.