Wiki Posts
Search

Expectations of TB members communicating with members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lo2e
I'll channel my inner kokonutz and say - "open the private TB forum for read-only access to non-TB members"
Although I see the value that would provide interested members, IMHO that value is outweighed by the risk of reduced willingness of TB members to post controversial thoughts or unconventional or half-baked ideas. A group can create something quite extraordinary from a half-baked idea, but this would be much less likely to happen in a public forum.

In summary, an open forum would close down discussion. The current system of one open forum and one closed forum is ideal, IMHO. FWIW, this public forum is more active than the private one. Most of the ideas the TalkBoard considers originate here. Good ideas are picked up and posted in the private forum very quickly in case any TB members missed them.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm certainly not trying to make excuses for those members who don't communicate. In fact, I have never met nor conversed in any manner with the folks I think are being referred to.

I'm just thinking out loud as to why somebody would bust their butt to get on TB only to then clam up and rarely be heard from again.

There's some dynamic involved that I'm trying to discern here.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cholula
I'm certainly not trying to make excuses for those members who don't communicate. In fact, I have never met nor conversed in any manner with the folks I think are being referred to.

I'm just thinking out loud as to why somebody would bust their butt to get on TB only to then clam up and rarely be heard from again.

Enthusiasm and free time to indulge it can have their ups and downs. Only retired people are likely to be able to engage at top speed all the time. That's why we tell others when we are preoccupied and they offer to carry the load for us. It's rarely more than a few weeks of consecutive low-availability time for any TB member. This is the same as for moderators' availability in my experience.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Five months, one post, a bunch of Yes votes (I'm left wondering if the first option was 'no', would they have voted 'no' instead) and no response to PMs from concerned members.

Or is this one of those rare events happening when it is months and months on end?

(I take the general point that for the rest of you stuff comes and goes - apart from Cholula, he's just on never-ending holiday and I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with one post in five months... as you might have guessed from this thread!)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
...I'm just thinking out loud as to why somebody would bust their butt to get on TB only to then clam up and rarely be heard from again.

A shining title? Fame? Ego? Vanity? Winning a popularity contest? Your guess is as good as mine.

Since TBers don't get paid by IB, I can't guess money.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm still listening to the points of view by everyone in this thread, but I do want to say that I agree and support nsx's statement below. I have posted several half-baked ideas in the private forum that I wished for some comment and a fresh set of eyes before setting them out for the public tearing-apart process. Some made it out, some are tabled, and some were disposed of; all were posted informally, and I would not have posted them had it been publicly viewable.

One could argue that such informal discussion could be handled by PM, but we all know that FT's PM system is not the easiest to use, especially in complicated back-and-forth discussion with several people.

I'm not necessarily against (although nor am I for, at this point, anyway) some form of open-discussion bylaws that restrict what can be discussed behind closed doors, but there definitely needs to be a forum-type environment for at least informal discussion, if only as a practical matter given the limitations of the current software.

Originally Posted by nsx
Although I see the value that would provide interested members, IMHO that value is outweighed by the risk of reduced willingness of TB members to post controversial thoughts or unconventional or half-baked ideas. A group can create something quite extraordinary from a half-baked idea, but this would be much less likely to happen in a public forum.

In summary, an open forum would close down discussion. The current system of one open forum and one closed forum is ideal, IMHO. FWIW, this public forum is more active than the private one. Most of the ideas the TalkBoard considers originate here. Good ideas are picked up and posted in the private forum very quickly in case any TB members missed them.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Dumb, maybe technical question: the OP has repeated their displeasure that the TB member in question (BTW, why all dancing around the member's handle?) didn't respond to PMs - if that person had the OP on their ignore list would they still receive the PM?

It seems many people here are suggesting TB members should post more and someone even suggested adding a requirement or best practices. (I actually agree with dovster). But based on the OP's question, should that scope be widened to include responding to every PM they receive? just some? How do you regulate that? If I PM'd jackal and told him he's an idiot (BTW, my friend is not) should he be required to respond? If I PM'd SkiAdcock a complicated question I know she'd take the time to reply with a detailed response, but perhaps other TB members don't have the time or want to think about an issue?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:33 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Dumb, maybe technical question: the OP has repeated their displeasure that the TB member in question (BTW, why all dancing around the member's handle?) didn't respond to PMs - if that person had the OP on their ignore list would they still receive the PM?

It seems many people here are suggesting TB members should post more and someone even suggested adding a requirement or best practices. (I actually agree with dovster). But based on the OP's question, should that scope be widened to include responding to every PM they receive? just some? How do you regulate that? If I PM'd jackal and told him he's an idiot (BTW, my friend is not) should he be required to respond? If I PM'd SkiAdcock a complicated question I know she'd take the time to reply with a detailed response, but perhaps other TB members don't have the time or want to think about an issue?
No one has to respond to or even accept PM. If someone doesn't want to respond to you, then that lack of response says volumes. Move on.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
If I PM'd jackal and told him he's an idiot
I send him a similar PM several times a week and I usually get an answer.

But not one I can repeat here.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I send him a similar PM several times a week and I usually get an answer.

But not one I can repeat here.
Does that mean everyone can feel free to do that and we can all compare responses?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I PM'd jackal and told him he's an idiot
And I PM'd you back and said you were--oh:

(BTW, my friend is not)
Thanks for the disclaimer. Glad I stopped at that Starbucks in Yakima for you...or else I might really be on your bad side!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.