Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: A Virgin Australia Velocity forum

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Cholula
Just a heads-up that we started an "official" discussion thread for this potential new forum on the internal TalkBoard Forum.

That's the preliminary step to possibly making a motion for the creation of a new Forum.

The next couple weeks will be the best time for folks either Pro or Con on this issue to make their thoughts known.

Thanks.
What he said. Also my personal opinion is the OP & others have done a lot of homework & provided quite a bit of good info to make a case for this.

Originally Posted by adl73x
I'm kind of astounded at the vehemence of opposition from a Talkboard member based in US. Who exactly are they representing? If that determines the outcome, then the process is wrong.

The point of Milepoint becomes much clearer.
I just reread the entire thread. Who & what is the vehemance of a TB opposed? I think only 4 of us posted in the thread (3 US-based) & none of us are vehemently against this.

I guess we should get used to every time someone doesn't like something we'll get the 'Milepoint' comment People can frequent whatever IBBs they prefer & should frequent those that meet their needs, but the teddy in a tram thing gets a bit old.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Apology

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just reread the entire thread. Who & what is the vehemance of a TB opposed? I think only 4 of us posted in the thread (3 US-based) & none of us are vehemently against this.

I guess we should get used to every time someone doesn't like something we'll get the 'Milepoint' comment People can frequent whatever IBBs they prefer & should frequent those that meet their needs, but the teddy in a tram thing gets a bit old.

Cheers.
**** Apology Follows *****

Apologies, now that I'm using a PC and not the iPhone app I can see that I mis-attributed the "There is absolutely no reason why VA/DJ should be approved." comment to the wrong poster. The vehement opposition has been from coolfish1103 who is not a Talkboard member.

**** End of Apology *****

You are also correct that people can choose boards to fit their own own need, but it is no less true that each board can possibly learn something from the other. There is no obligation either way.

And to get back on topic, I hope this bid for Virgin Australia, V Australia, and Pacific Blue Velocity succeeds as a testament to the people and process involved, and a service to the enlightened traveller.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:26 pm

I think a Virgin Australia separate forum would be a positive benefit, especially given the willing nature of VA to join in the discussion with a company rep.

Whilst it probably won't be the busiest forum, it would be good to be able to develop among members a robust FAQ about Velocity, especially as a revamp is in the offing.

Hopefully it will be a forum that has a high signal to noise ratio - quality over quantity.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
+1 Virgin Australia's company reps participate heavily in AFF and bring a lot of value to the discussion.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: VA Platinum (BIS); VS Red; EK Blue; QF Gold; AA; Golden Circle executive; A Club Silver; SPG PG
Hi there,

I am a long time lurker at FT, and have finally registered to fully support this proposal. I have mainly reviewed the QF board over the years, but only because there is no easy spot to read discussions on VA and their FF program.

There could not be a better time for VA to have its own spot with the re-branding and their soon-to-be-revised FF program. Its very exciting times.

Given I am about to lose QF plat, I am seriously considering becoming one of the "20%" corporate customers to move. After the recent round of "enhancements", I certainly will not be making any effort to get SCs beyond QF gold.

Cheers,
Old May 19, 2011, 5:04 pm

I support a Virgin Australia forum also! :-)

But wondering why it is such a big deal to add one?

Thousands of new threads are created daily for topics as mundane as "Why didn't I get a napkin in United First class on my LAX-JFK flight today?"

Surely if that gets a thread then Virgin Australia can get a forum?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TIMOS
I support a Virgin Australia forum also! :-)

But wondering why it is such a big deal to add one?

Thousands of new threads are created daily for topics as mundane as "Why didn't I get a napkin in United First class on my LAX-JFK flight today?"

Surely if that gets a thread then Virgin Australia can get a forum?
Threads are created by users--any user can create a thread.

Forums are created by the forum administrators. TalkBoard recommends new forums to the forum administrators.

The questions I linked to earlier in this thread (that have been--IMHO--successfully answered by several posters) illuminate the reasons why we are careful with forum creation.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think VA should be allowed to have their own forum for all the reasons outlined above.

As the great Texas philosopher, Kinky Friedman once said, “even people who fly Virgin have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us"

Or something like that...
Old May 24, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Any news from the Talkboard folks about how/ if/ when the discussion is progressing?
Old May 25, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Nope, I am not a talk board member. I am just voicing my opinion because a sticky thread was made and based on previous judgements for other airlines. EVA happens to be an example I used and I am sure it's not anywhere US based or related. I can probably use the rejected "Greater China" forum as an example as well.

Anyways, I am not a talk board member, so it won't be me who will be influencing the decision.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
hooray, the suggestion is going to a vote.

Please talkboard members, vote YES...
Old May 25, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I support this & will likely vote yes on this measure.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think the OP & others have done a good job w/ their homework & making their case for this forum.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Any news from the Talkboard folks about how/ if/ when the discussion is progressing?
Check out the new thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ity-forum.html
Old May 27, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: UA*G, *wood Gold, Hyatt Pl, IC plat.RA.
bring it on

From the fact that there are already 4 pages of posts from people wanting the forum and they have almost all been overwhelmingly positive, I am sure the FT servers can handle a few extra gig of memory to supply a forum that is sorely needed and with the changes afoot from Virgin Australia, I'm sure there will be plenty of postings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.