Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Padding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question Post Padding

Sorry to put this thread in this forum as it would have been more fitting for the now closed and removed ORP thread (and feel free to find a new home for it) but if I may.....

It may be me , but I have noticed a lot of posts/replies with simply a "+1" or "^" or a combination of those (or blank spaces after a single "+1" or "^" to allow the post to be posted with such minimal characters ) and I thought those types of posts were not allowed.

Padding Post Counts
Posting meaningless information in an effort to increase one's post count is not permitted. Posts will be removed and the post count reset. Members who engage in this are subject to disciplinary action.
Like I said, it may be me but just wondering....
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:03 pm

We're waiting patiently for the "Like" button like the other forum has.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
We're waiting patiently for the "Like" button like the other forum has.
+1
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:01 pm

what is the other forum? is thattheomni I no longer can reach for some bizarrereason?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by uElliots
what is the other forum? is thattheomni I no longer can reach for some bizarrereason?
You now need 180 posts and 180 days on FT to access OMNI..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...i-omni-pr.html
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I think it's like sitting in a classroom. There are only so many answers to some questions before a teacher will start to hit a wall of "That's what I was going to say" responses. To some extent I'd rather see a +1 to show agreement or support as opposed to reading x number of responses rehashing the same exact information.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Its' gone already. Sorry, Guys and I can't help you.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Or 179 more +1's.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Instead of worrying about post number, I think a better idea would be to rank or grade them. Because while some of you have over 100,000 posts, others will never reach 50 posts. But if we had an independent judging board, we might be able to decide who is trustworthy and who is not.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Or 179 more +1's.
Nah.

I don't think 179 +1's would pass OMNI MODs' 180/180 inspection.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm Reason: correction
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:47 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Instead of worrying about post number, I think a better idea would be to rank or grade them. Because while some of you have over 100,000 posts, others will never reach 50 posts. But if we had an independent judging board, we might be able to decide who is trustworthy and who is not.
I'm not sure I'd want to be on such a board, nor would I wish that upon anybody to need to do.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's another site, similar in concept to FT, and also devoted to frequent flyer programs. Has nothing to do with any part of FT.

http://www.milepoint.com

More information in the (apparent) gap.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by a7800
+1
Which is exactly what I'm getting at

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I think it's like sitting in a classroom. There are only so many answers to some questions before a teacher will start to hit a wall of "That's what I was going to say" responses. To some extent I'd rather see a +1 to show agreement or support as opposed to reading x number of responses rehashing the same exact information.
For me, if a person wants to post something, then let them actually post something (even it is a re-hash or a re-hash of a re-hash)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Which is exactly what I'm getting at

For me, if a person wants to post something, then let them actually post something (even it is a re-hash or a re-hash of a re-hash)

I'm not a +1 kind of guy. If I don't have anything new to add to the discussion, I do not post.

What is your concern with post padding? From my observations the +1 crowd tends to be established flyertalkers. Is it a matter of comparing the size of your post counts?

I understand that posting +1s could be a way to meet minimum post requirements for some, but I don't see that to be a widespread issue, or is it?

Last edited by a7800; Apr 14, 2011 at 11:03 am
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:01 am

so perhaps in place of a post count FT could switch to a character count so as to assess the true value of a post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.