Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Do we really want non-English threads just for the sake of it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do we really want non-English threads just for the sake of it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Opening the door even further to non-English communication on FT is not something which I would fancy.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rathin100
All posts, in any South Asian language must be in the roman script..this is common in south Asia This enables the moderator to use google translate -- a point first made by the moderator!
I am certain that I can post in various South Asian languages in the Roman Alphabet script in such a way that the moderators cannot use online translation software to fully understand what could be posted. And most South Asian languages don't even have a translate feature provided by Google, regardless of the script used.

Moderation of threads and the thread's openness to people of other (linguistic) backgrounds/experiences becomes more of a challenge with a change in official policy or practice on FT with regard to the restriction on use of languages other than English on the threads themselves.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Moderation of threads and the thread's openness to people of other (linguistic) backgrounds/experiences becomes more of a challenge with a change in official policy or practice on FT with regard to the restriction on use of languages other than English on the threads themselves.
I do not understand your observation above but do genuinely think you are making a point I need to understand.
What is this change in official policy Or practice? Our moderator clearly said there was no problem on this I have heard nothing that indicates otherwise?

Pardon my lack of acuity; Please do explain/elaborate

The thread I started will continue until I hear from the EK thread moderator that Ft admin has decided that this is an English only forum.

Last edited by rathin100; Mar 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Can we ban American then?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:55 pm
mjm
Original Member

In answer to the thread title, I would say absolutely not. But allow me to qualify that. I similarly do not want threads which are solely there to count down from a pre-designated number. I find these threads not to my liking.

That said I do find threads that use humor or non-travel points to resolve travel issues or angst issues arising from travel very appropriate. OMNI is really there for anything not related to travel anyway. It started that way once upon a time as a thread prefix (i.e. “OMNI: When is the latest Star Wars movie to be released?”) So in the spirit of FT and its roots I would say threads that exist for the sole purpose of our amusement and not to enhance the travel experience can and should exist in OMNI. It is in many ways the perfect pressure valve for a long crazy day at work, school, etc.

As to the unasked question of whether languages other than English should be used on FT, I think that is pretty clearly a yes. We have country specific for which require answers to provided in another language because of lack of English equivalents or for accuracy.

To say that such should not be allowed because a moderator is unable to read it is to say the tail certainly should be wagging the dog. Get moderators who can speak language for destination specific fora and perhaps as them to assist in airline or hotel specific fora when a language other than English is used.

As an American I was entirely gratified to learn 26 years ago, at the ripe young age of 20 when I left the US (and still have not returned permanently) that not everyone speaks American English, and that a combination of languages together with a healthy respect for each others’ roots is the only way in which communication can take steps forward.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:48 am

This is one of the reasons why so many of the countries, whose first language is not English, percieve us as arrogant. It is not against the rules it is an international forum...why not.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
No. There is no restrictions in American forums. It is free country that you can post here.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rmcy
This is one of the reasons why so many of the countries, whose first language is not English, percieve us as arrogant. It is not against the rules it is an international forum...why not.
Many an international forum have settled for English and/or a limited set of languages being the forum norm -- not so much a result of arrogance as a practical approach that is more inclusive in practice than would be the case from linguistic Balkanization of a forum.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:14 am
Suspended

I do not understand your observation above but do genuinely think you are making a point I need to understand.
What is this change in official policy Or practice? Our moderator clearly said there was no problem on this I have heard nothing that indicates otherwise?

Pardon my lack of acuity; Please do explain/elaborate

The thread I started will continue until I hear from the EK thread moderator that Ft admin has decided that this is an English only forum.
I hope the following helps explain my position:

1. If a small proportion of members communicate on FT in a language not generally accessible to the overwhelming majority of members, the majority of members unfamiliar with the "foreign" language will not be able to benefit from the communications in the "foreign" language.

2. Communication in language(s) not (as well) understood by (some or any) moderators become harder (to impossible) for the moderators to police for FT terms of services violation.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

linguistic Balkanization of a forum.
IMO, that is the real issue. I don't have much problem with 'lounge threads' in other languages, especially in regional fora. However, information in another language than the language of communication of FT means that it will be inacessible to most members.
On the moderation issue, while it is less of a pressing concern as far as I am concerned, I must say that the idea that google translate will enable a mod to effectively moderate a thread in a language unknown to the mod strikes me as naive.
It is true that other languages are occasionally used to report external information in a language other than English. However, it is an altogether different kettle of fish. Indeed, posters who report such information usually feel compelled (rightly in my view) to provide at least a summary translation. You would not have that with language threads.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by rmcy
(Underline mine)

Who's "us"? Did you mean "Americans?"

Can you also clarify what's the "one of the reasons" using English on FT be conceived and/or perceived as "arrogant"?

I am not American and English is not my mother tongue. The thought has never come to my mind that FT as an (internationally) internet bulletin board in English has anything to do with arrogance. Does it make me arrogant since I use English comfortably on FT and never consider it an issue or problem?

What do you expect to be the standard language when an internet bulletin board is founded by an American in the United States? Should it be Spanish?

I hope the following helps explain my position:

1. If a small proportion of members communicate on FT in a language not generally accessible to the overwhelming majority of members, the majority of members unfamiliar with the "foreign" language will not be able to benefit from the communications in the "foreign" language.

2. Communication in language(s) not (as well) understood by (some or any) moderators become harder (to impossible) for the moderators to police for FT terms of services violation.
Originally Posted by NickB
I don't have much problem with 'lounge threads' in other languages, especially in regional fora. However, information in another language than the language of communication of FT means that it will be inacessible to most members.
Agree with both GUWonder and NickB.

I even had to ask fellow FTers to give me the English translation when they were joking (with me) in Spanish and Italian. I don't speak and couldn't/can't understand either language. Besides, I don't trust Google translator since I've seen how poorly it performs on English-to-Traditional-Chinese translation.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Just to report that teh EK Hindi-English (yes multio language) thread is chugging along quite nciely -- and with limited traffic -- with no problems reported by the moderator or anyone else. I have volunteered to translate anything posted there into English if anyone asks for such and this is working just fine.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just to report that teh EK Hindi-English (yes multio language) thread is chugging along quite nciely -- and with limited traffic -- with no problems reported by the moderator or anyone else. I have volunteered to translate anything posted there into English if anyone asks for such and this is working just fine.
Seems like you are making more work for yourself, when the thread could have just been posted in English...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Seems like you are making more work for yourself, when the thread could have just been posted in English...
we all do what we like to do and people are enjoying the thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.