Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What is a 'Do?' When does a 'Do' become a commercial venture?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a 'Do?' When does a 'Do' become a commercial venture?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have disagreed with koko throughout this thread, but now I want to agree with him -- even though his post was made yesterday in another thread:

It seems to me that if it is a "no-brainer" to allow discussion of commercial service providers to the points and miles community the question of whether to allow discussion of Dos they run is also a no-brainer.
Oh, I am all for talking about them!

The issue here is the TOS that forbids posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services.

We can talk about UNITED all day and night, but UNITED can't come here and post links to its fare sales. Yet seminars and blogs can.

Jeff Smisek can't come on here and post, 'Please buy a ticket on my airline.' Yet seminars and blogs owners can.

PS, thank you for your support of a blog forum on FT! ^
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by kokonutz
We can talk about UNITED all day and night, but UNITED can't come here and post links to its fare sales. Yet seminars and blogs can.
Starwood posts property-specific deals and promotions all the time.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff
Starwood posts property-specific deals and promotions all the time.
a. Commercial posts. Posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services - including but not limited to Internet sites, business advertisements and solicitations to donate miles or points – are prohibited and will be removed. FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing is to be offered for sale or conditioned on an exchange of money or barter. Nothing in this rule is intended to prohibit exchange of travel coupons as allowed by the rules of Coupon Connection. If you spot a commercial post, please report it.

Have you reported these commercial posts as instructed by the TOS? @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The issue here is the TOS that forbids posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services.
If these bother you, why aren't you reporting the TOS violation to a moderator so they can deal with it? They're the ones charged with enforcing the TOS.

If the TOS aren't clear to the moderators, you, as a Talk Board member, can run with that issue and change them.

Personally, I could care less about commercial posts and don't think the moderators should spend any time policing them. I won't be reporting any of them.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
If these bother you, why aren't you reporting the TOS violation to a moderator so they can deal with it? They're the ones charged with enforcing the TOS.

If the TOS aren't clear to the moderators, you, as a Talk Board member, can run with that issue and change them.

Personally, I could care less about commercial posts and don't think the moderators should spend any time policing them. I won't be reporting any of them.
Right. That's my point. The speed limit is 65. Unless you are driving a certain kind of car or happen to be in a certain stretch of highway but not really because you are still breaking the law.

My suggestion for years has been to alter the TOS to provide for the flexibility to get the kind of commercial posts we want to see here while forbidding those we do not want to see here! @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
So I see where the Virginia FTU Seminars have somewhere between 650 and 800 attendees with a six-figure-ish budget.
I attended the last FTU in Los Angeles. It was a blast.

Given the huge attendance at these events, not to mention press coverage, I have to believe that the bubble will soon burst on gaming credit card signup bonuses to fly international F. Most of the blogs will be casualties in the ensuing shake-out. Those who remain will be people who truly love to write about travel and don't care as much about making money doing it.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to throw a big party for mile enthusiasts in my area I am totally on board! These events spread knowledge and make members more valuable to FT when they come back and post. I don't see any problem with that at all.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My suggestion for years has been to alter the TOS to provide for the flexibility to get the kind of commercial posts we want to see here while forbidding those we do not want to see here! @:-)
You weren't a Talk Board member years ago. You are now. If you want to alter the TOS, what are you waiting for? Put a motion out there for your fellow Talk Board members to vote on and we can be done with it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

You weren't a Talk Board member years ago. You are now. If you want to alter the TOS, what are you waiting for? Put a motion out there for your fellow Talk Board members to vote on and we can be done with it.
Ok, if you insist! ^
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you want to alter the TOS, what are you waiting for?
Read SkiAdcocks post #344 in this thread
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Given the TOS just got an overhaul w/ a TOS committee/CD & TB was invited to provide input (which in fairness you did re: this very topic), I do think if you still have concerns/want to know the reasoning you should touch base w/ the CD.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Read SkiAdcocks post #344 in this thread
Input was certainly taken but I have not seen any results from this project.

Shame on me for not following up on it sooner, because this overhaul appears to be stuck in process somewhere.

But have no fear, Don Quixote is here not with lance but giant plunger to see if he can slay the dragon of bureaucracy and get the flow going again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.